Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: So I was thinking of getting a console...  (Read 4290 times)

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
So I was thinking of getting a console...
« on: April 15, 2015, 02:58:40 pm »

Well, the title says it all.
I was thinking of getting a console, a new one, because currently everything I have is last gen or from the gen before that.
Currently, it's a competition between the Wii U, 3DS, PS Vita, and possibly the PS4. Or maybe PS3.
I'm currently leaning more towards the handheld side of things, but I seriously can't decide.
Doesn't really help that they all have exclusives or just games that I'm interested in.
Please, send help.
Please.
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
Re: So I was thinking of getting a console...
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2015, 03:10:22 pm »

If you want a handheld, 3DS. Nobody has a Vita.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2015, 03:12:35 pm »

3.4 million people have a Vita as of 2014.
And there's a few games I want on it, so nobody having it isn't really a valid argument, to me at least.
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2015, 03:12:48 pm »

Why on Earth would you want a console? You apparently have a PC, which is like a console but you can actually play games made before the last ten minutes.

7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2015, 03:20:25 pm »

And there's a few games I want on it, so nobody having it isn't really a valid argument, to me at least.
3DS has over 50 million, and most of Vita's sales are in Japan anyway.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2015, 03:31:14 pm »

Why on Earth would you want a console? You apparently have a PC, which is like a console but you can actually play games made before the last ten minutes.
I have a laptop.
It's quite shit.
Do the math.
Also, it's not exactly working right now. I'm posting this from my iPad.
Exclusives, most likely.

I say 3DS because... well, exclusives, and the Virtual Console store basically gives you backwards compatibility all the way back to the NES, relatively (still need to buy the games, but at least there's no messing around with ROMs).
Partially this, partially because it's easier to carry a 3DS/Vita than a PC, or even, say, a laptop.
3DS has over 50 million, and most of Vita's sales are in Japan anyway.
Sales numbers aren't exactly going to convince me though, for multiple reasons.
Don't get me wrong, the 3DS also has a good few exclusives that I want, it's just that sales numbers of consoles aren't gonna convince me, otherwise the Gameboy is the best and most advanced console ever.

PrimusRibbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2015, 03:45:02 pm »

The best combination is a PC and a Wii U, no contest. The Wii U has a lock on local multiplayer and party games at the moment. If you're looking for a "PC replacement" instead, you can find PS3s for under $100 and take advantage of the dirt cheap library. The PS4 looks promising, but the library really isn't there yet.

3DS is the only game in town as far as handhelds. Sony has pretty much given up on the Vita in the US, so I'd honestly recommend an old PSP over a Vita at this point.
grammar is for essays and letters and second FREEDOM TO POST except obscene material
THE ONLY THING THAT'S GONNA GRIND IN THIS GAME IS YOUR ASS ON THE PAVEMENT

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2015, 04:06:54 pm »

I have a laptop.
It's quite shit.
Do the math.
Basically I'm saying if you plan to shell out 400 bucks for a Xbone or Pisspoor you might as well just go to best buy and say "whats the best gaming computer you have for 400 bucks?" You will receive an infinitely better deal this way.
Though with the mobile stuff I have no experience, so go with what others say on that.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Sartain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2015, 04:08:58 pm »

It's my impression that the Vita is horribly undersupported by Sony, much like the PSP was. The 3DS is nice and has loads of games, and it's user interface is more functional than fancy which is a big plus in my book. Xbox and Playstation more or less have the same catalog as PC, except for a few non-essentials, so if it's for exclusives you'll probably want to go for a Nintendo machine. I don't know much about the Wii-U since nobody actually uses it in my part of the world, but supposedly it's a decent machine. Rather expensive for what is effectively a last-gen console though, at least where I come from.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2015, 04:12:06 pm »

Vita has proprietary memory cards that are way too expensive for solid state storage. 3DS uses microSD, which is around $30 for 64GB capacity in a very fast Class 10. Vita is four times the price per GB.

The PSP is actually quite good because it has oodles of emulators and there is a microSD adapter. It's great for playing anything from PS1 era on back.

Empty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2015, 04:16:40 pm »

If you want (j)rpg games get a sony product. The vita has way more of them than the 3ds as well.

If you want gimmicky nostalgic games. Get a wii u or 3ds.

I don't know why you would want a xbox 360. So I'll leave that to other people.

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2015, 04:19:42 pm »

But I didn't mention the Xbox at all...
Hmm.
Seems like the 3DS is winning.
Which leaves me with one problem.
Which model should I get?
I'm not well-versed enough in them to know which one is best for price.

Empty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2015, 04:21:39 pm »

It would help if you mentioned what type of game you tend to enjoy or want to play.
That's usually the only difference between the consoles and handhelds.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2015, 04:26:58 pm »

For a handheld I vote 3DS, for console I'd say Wii U, just because I find it's much more common to have PC/PS games similar in style and with more overlap than the Wii U/PC do.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2015, 04:44:43 pm »

As someone who has a PC i really suggest just getting a good PC as there is little to no reason to own a Xbox One or PS4 because the games on them overlap with PC games just too much.

A andheld is a less silly idea because you get the ability to play games on the go but again... how often do you ask yourself "Gee i wish i has a PSP with me so i could play a game now."
I assume rarely unless your main method of transportation is aircraft and trains.

Anyway if you really want a console then i'd say WiiU or 3DS.

Optionally a JXD7800B if you are into emulation and just want a device to fill up with roms.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4