Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: There is Only Power, an Evil Mage Party-Based Roguelike Game !  (Read 6450 times)

Black_Company

• Bay Watcher
  • Onwards, onwards to Glory !
    • View Profile

I found this little gem of roguelike when I search for Party-based roguelike in a forum.

The description on the website says:

There is Only Power is a strategy / roguelike. Build a small army, learn spells and find artifacts to enslave a kingdom before its citizens overthrow you. The world, your spell list, the artifacts and opportunities for recruitment are randomly set up each game to give you a unique challenge.

In fact, I'm very thrilled by the prospect of this game. There are random events there to keep you interested, and it is free, too!
I think the most intriguing things in this game is the features in every class. It is very unique. I mean, where else you could be a Psychomancer, who is a raving lunatic (like me now) but could conquer a kingdom with mana-generating mind (But you get random insanity event when you exceeds your mind limit). Or you could be a Battlemage, a frontline caster who generates mana when they taking wounds. Sadly, the development of this game is halted right now. Maybe when he see this thread we could persuade him to continue it.

Meanwhile, go on! download the game and share your thoughts here !
Here are some pict :
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Here is the link : http://porousnapkin.itch.io/there-is-only-power
Consciousness is the Sun
Tenacity is the Earth
Courage became the Horizon
and Struggle is the Realization of our Oaths
-Iwan Fals,1998

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
Re: There is Only Power, an Evil Mage Party-Based Roguelike Game !
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2015, 05:01:49 pm »

Welcome to Bay12. It is generally good form to make any other post before launching a thread with a game link, but it's a bit late for that now. Still, seems right up my alley.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2015, 05:07:23 pm »

"I found this game and randomly decided to join a new forum and tell everyone!" what?

Black_Company

• Bay Watcher
  • Onwards, onwards to Glory !
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2015, 05:13:00 pm »

Ah, i thought a bit about that too. I have an Bay12 account i made last year but i forgot the user name and password,too, even the e-mail was hacked by an smart ass hacker. So, I thought I have known the twist and turn in this forum, but it is also my mistake not to told you in my first post because I am too excited about posting about this game. Sorry, then.
Consciousness is the Sun
Tenacity is the Earth
Courage became the Horizon
and Struggle is the Realization of our Oaths
-Iwan Fals,1998

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2015, 05:19:09 pm »

"I found this game and randomly decided to join a new forum and tell everyone!" what?
We seem to get that more often in Other Games than anywhere else I've seen.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2015, 05:50:30 pm »

I must say, it IS pretty cool, though. Has some issues, of course, but pretty damn fun regardless.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2015, 08:02:10 pm »

His post kind of smells of obsession rather than promotion, which is the kind of post I prefer.

Game looks charming. I'll have to set aside some time for it.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2015, 08:08:33 pm »

Mm, yeah. The premise sort of reminds me of a less silly Magicka-verse, almost.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2015, 08:09:54 pm »

It's fun.  Kind of a puzzle-game-ish combat system.  A little too simple though. 
Shoes...

Cicero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2015, 09:19:52 pm »

Link seems to be broken but this one works : http://willswannack.com/thereisonlypower/

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2015, 10:50:59 pm »

I'll have to look at this at some point.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2015, 08:41:10 am »

I've played a round or two of the game. It's a fun little jaunt, but I find that you struggle for mana far too much, and that it's nearly impossible (at least in the early game) to build up a collection of minions to stay between you and danger. As least as a lich, earth mana seems to be more rare to acquire then the other three types, and the only minions worth summoning (ones that can heal themselves a little on attack, if you get lucky enough to get that type) cost ... 8 mana, I want to say? Meanwhile, cannon fodder minions that die to one hit still cost 4 mana.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2015, 09:08:19 am »

I spend any souls I don't need to heal myself on mana pretty much as soon as I get them.
Shoes...

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2015, 09:09:56 am »

No specific mana type is scarce in itself. It's especially true if you go with some artifacts; there's some that double your soul->mana gain rate for each type, plus some more specific ones that give you specific mana in specific conditions (+2 per entering combat for fire, +1 per 2 spells cast for earth and +10 per new spell for water's what I found). A certain lategame location also allows you to convert one type of mana into the other wholesale.

As for minions, if you get some to spawn nearby, Mercenary Traders are a good source of minions in early game; they cost 20 gold, so 10 turns from a single enslaved village or literally free if you get a certain artifact and have 6 health, so they are decent meatshields.

The starting Lich summon, the one for 2 mana, is just an early game shield against peasants, so it's useless later on, but the ones for 4 mana actually have a hidden benefit - they gain strength with each attack... and, bug or not, it carries on between battles. So, with each attack, they get permanently stronger.

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2015, 09:22:28 am »

Assuming they live long enough to benefit. Given enemies always get to attack first, and most midgame enemies have 2+ attack, and there's no source of healing outside an end-tier spell or finding a handy inn (which are one shot, since apparently after we rest, we burn the place to the ground :P) anything without high health, some method of healing or a combination of both doesn't strike me as a good investment.

I do agree that Mercenaries are a good early source of meat shields, as 20 gold for a 6 health wall is a decent investment.
Pages: [1] 2 3