Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hero Generations, Roguelike in your 4x + Babbies!  (Read 2252 times)

bluwolfie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Hero Generations, Roguelike in your 4x + Babbies!
« on: April 11, 2015, 06:30:59 pm »

An innovative roguelike/4X strategy game where every turn is one year of your life. Explore, find a mate, build a home, and raise a child before you die to keep your legacy going.

It sounds really fucking interesting, unfortunately I can't buy this yet but do let me know if it's awesome!

Here's the steam page: http://store.steampowered.com/app/295590/

And here's a gameplay vid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uM40Z5bM9eY
« Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 10:24:34 pm by bluwolfie »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hero Generations, Roguelike in your 4x + Babbies!
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2015, 06:31:49 pm »

I've seen it, though the fact that buildings are going to fall apart over time... makes me really scared to even attempt it.

debvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2015, 06:39:52 pm »

That character design is hideous.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2015, 09:22:18 pm »

"Set in the mystic land of people with shovel faces..."
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

nearlyNonexistent

• Bay Watcher
  • "What for, robbery?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2015, 10:13:55 pm »

If they can fix the horrific character design it could be a good game, from how it sounds, but I can't exactly play it to find out right now. At the very least, it sounds like a cool concept, but I feel like the title of the thread sounds better than the game concept.
Famous for stupidity and humor.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2015, 10:15:49 pm »

I have purchased and briefly tried this game. I am not terribly impressed, though much of that is because it doesn't seem like the game it's advertising itself as. It'd be a pretty neat flash game, but calling it innovative might be pushing it a bit.

I wouldn't really call it a roguelike or a 4X; maybe there's aspects I haven't gotten to yet, but being able to build/upgrade resource spawners in the four tiles around existing cities doesn't really strike me as 4Xish. There is similarly little roguelikishness as far as I can tell; you have two Trait slots and two Equipment slots, you bounce around an overmap, and combat is very random and punishing if you lose. That's about it.

What the game actually consists of, as far as I can tell, is bouncing around the overmap doing things in preparation for your next runthrough. Your character has a certain number of turns to live, and so you have to treat each playthrough as sort of an expedition. You can collect gold to build structures around existing cities, and these structures then produce resources (gold or stats) that you can come collect every now and then as well as altering what kinds of mates you find in town. Mates are your retirement option: when you're done with that character, you find a mate and settle down. The traits your next character inherits are in part defined by that mate. Additionally, most have conditions for them to love you; warrior-town mates tend to want a certain strength score, etc. If that doesn't happen, you lose and the game is over, though it's not usually difficult to do.

Combat is incredibly simple. You have a Strength score. You roll a number between 0 and that strength score. The winner deals their Combat Damage score to the loser's Life Expectancy; most goons have under your starting Damage stat, so doing so clubs them like seals. Combat lasts one round, though you can continue assaulting (or being hunted like an animal by) tougher enemies over several turns.

So that's basically it. As mentioned, it'd be a neat free flash game, and as mentioned, I'm not very far into it, so there could be things I'm missing. But otherwise, I wouldn't get your hopes up unless you're looking for a sort of puzzly coffee break type thing.

And yes, everyone is goddamned hideous. Supposedly they have genders, but it's a rare day when I know what they are without glancing at the symbols.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

bluwolfie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2015, 04:45:03 pm »

To be fair, most of the negative reviews on Steam revolve around broken saves.  Maybe when it goes on sale.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2015, 06:59:55 am »

As mentioned, it'd be a neat free flash game
Wasn't it? I could have sworn I played something with these mechanics 3 years ago on Facebook.
fake edit: yup it was. Same guys and even the same name. They've shut it down since though.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

SharpKris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2015, 07:43:43 am »

In all honesty it sounds smells and looks like an IOS game and... it is.
the content is lacking the system is horribly unbalanced so much that occasionally you could get a completely broken up map
and at times you're wondering how do two men produce a child

Zireael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2015, 07:52:39 am »

Wasn't it? I could have sworn I played something with these mechanics 3 years ago on Facebook.
fake edit: yup it was. Same guys and even the same name. They've shut it down since though.

Is it down? The link loads with the standard "do you want this app to access this and that" window. As a web game, I'd play it. As a paid game, nope.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2015, 07:58:41 am »

Is it down?
it is, yeah.
Quote from: FB
Hero Generations is coming back, and we need your help to make it happen! We've just launched a Kickstarter campaign to fund an all new version of the game. Back us now and get a copy of the game here: Hero Generations on Kickstarter!.
Breedy gastards.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.