Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 17

Author Topic: Void•Black: A Hard Science Fiction Adventure  (Read 19796 times)

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
Void•Black: A Hard Science Fiction Adventure
« on: April 07, 2015, 04:18:21 am »

-A Screenshock Game, Intro By GiglameshDespair-

Humanity was advancing greatly in fields of science. Despite the occasional war mongering between nations, Earth was mostly peaceful, and very prosperous. Third world nations developed greatly. Climate change continued, reducing the amount of habitable land for humans. The human population had, at it's peak, ballooned up to 13 billion. Earth was fed using hydroponics space stations dedicated to growing cash crops, their power supplied by the gestating seeds of what would eventually become the powersat network. The Moon colony was established. Terraforming of Mars began and was expected to yield results in hundreds of years. Everything was going right.

As Mars became more independent from Earthly supplies—and supplies on Earth grew scarcer—tensions developed. It was then that the first major Screenshock incident happened.

A Screenshock is a particular series of images, colors and sometimes sounds that triggers a fatal feedback sequence within the brain; a cousin to the epileptic fit. The first of the Screenshock viruses was an ultra-advanced computer virus, semi-sentient and capable of adapting to situations. It infiltrated a vast quantity of the networks across the globe.

Cranial implants had been growing in popularity. You could access the net without using your hands, it made people sharper by boosting reaction times, and performed various other sundry tasks. The virus vectored using the high resolution screens—terminals, televisions screens, smart phones, computers and the omnipresent advert boards found in modern human settlements—and attacked every person in the world equipped with implants, overlaying screenshocks onto one's VR overlay. Overnight, the human population of Earth dropped to a mere 4 billion. The virus had spread to everything, ruining the automatic infrastructure of Earth. Even today with all the precautions that are taken it has proved almost impossible to truly eradicate. With this massive simultaneous loss of life, the forward progress of humanity had been stalled.

When the tattered remnants of Earth attempted to take more food aid from Mars than it was willing to supply, the only true interplanetary conflict occurred, though no history book calls it a war. The end result was Martian independence and a similar agency would later be promised for all colonies that would be established. Earth itself is a desolate place, with widespread food shortages, high unemployment and common natural disasters as surface conditions continued to worsen. The golden age of Earth had ended.

Certain technologies regressed rapidly in response to the Screenshock that had ravaged Earth in an attempt to reduce vectors for and prevent Screenshocks. High-resolution screens are no longer used, relying on much more simple monitors to display data. Later, after a small incident, sound outputs are also reduced. Implants remain widely used but most are simple and only have a few specific functions, turning away from the gratuitous, jack-of-all-trades devices of old. Everyone has at the very least a basic implant in the skull that automatically provides their name, date of birth, home world and citizen number.

Using semi-autonomous mining drones, Earth's industries have shifted towards orbital enterprises monopolized the by huge corporations responsible for the early colonization efforts. 5 sleeper colony ships were produced and sent out to distant star systems. 4 colonies were successfully established and the largest, and oldest, of these has over a billion inhabitants, similar to the population of Mars. The fifth ship has yet to arrive.

Then came the age of the Lightpusher. Using massively powerful nuclear engines to reach 70% of light speed, they are the only ships that allow a human to travel interstellar distances in the space of his own lifetime. They transport goods and information, which has become a commodity to be bought and sold, between the scattered colonies. A joint-corporation effort led to the creation of a Lightpusher colony ship, which successfully traveled to and set up a colony in a far star system. A few Lightpushers have been chartered to explore select systems for a potential second Lightpusher colony. Most, however, simply move luxury goods from system to system, where they are sold by the ton at an extravagant rate.

The colonies have not encountered alien life beyond the primitive, living or dead. Each colony has it's own in-system powersat network to power the various craft, the colony and space stations present. Military ships are nuclear-powered laser platforms and are primarily used to deal with potentially threatening space rocks; there is no interstellar warfare as there is little point because relativistic travel prevents timely conflict. Visual tech is severely inhibited by the risk of Screenshock so accurate, real-time sensor readouts are a finicky business, so computers are often relied on to do tasks that require millisecond reactions. Ablative laser travel requires constant communication between the powersat and the crew of the ship making it's burn, on more than one occasion a sat has accidentally missed it's mark and caused a disaster.

This is the world humanity lives in today.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The TMV Wilhelmina has a generic prefix identifying it as a Tug Merchant Vessel. She's 287 meters from the tip of her bow to the edge of the engine nozzle. Unlike most lightpushers it's not laser-powered, instead it carries it's own power, an over-sized nuclear drive. It's much more expensive and interstellar trips take slightly longer than by laser ablative travel, but the ship is more than twice as fast as any other ship when it comes to in-system travel. The HULL 1 Bulk Cargo Nacelles™—colloquially referred to as pillboxes because of their shape—are manufactured and spend their entire lives in space. During preparation they have their "lids" removed for ease of loading and are then reassembled and attached to the flat nose of the tug by sturdy, short docking clamps that serves as air-locked connecting corridors. In exchange for the uncompromising design they cannot be detached in an emergency from within the ship, it must be done by an EVA team with special equipment for decoupling. The Wilhelmina can push up to three HULL 1 BCNs containing a maximum of 100,000 tons of payload each.

The Wilhelmina's Captain is the sole owner of the vessel.. Or he would be if he could pay off the multi-million dollar mortgage. Void Black is the story of the voyages of the Wilhelmina's enterprising crew, and the journey for prosperity among Humanity's stars.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: And More! (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 02:22:09 pm by GUNINANRUNIN »

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 07:22:42 pm by GUNINANRUNIN »

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
Re: Void•Black: A Hard Science Fiction Adventure
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2015, 04:27:17 am »

This seems...interesting.
Reserving a spot for a sheet.
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2015, 04:48:20 am »

I'm interested as playing as the roboticist. Shall wait for a captain character before fully deciding on character. Although I have ideas floating around.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2015, 04:55:59 am »

I would like to join this, although given my track record I doubt I would make a good captain. >.>
Perhaps I will post a sheet anyway if no-one else has been chosen in a while, but more likely I'll wait 'til the Captain is decided upon.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Adragis

• Bay Watcher
  • Edgelady Supreme
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2015, 05:00:43 am »

Likewise. I wish to reserve a spot until a Captain steps forward.
thincake

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2015, 05:56:32 am »

Imma PTW :3
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2015, 06:15:26 am »

Reserving please. Probably gonna go for the Security Officer, once the Captain's been chosen.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 07:08:54 am by Cheesecake »
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?
Dying of pure unbridled hatred, actually.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2015, 06:19:41 am »

PTW O-O
Or...reserve ._.
I've vested interest in a medical/psychological profession. But...*reads necessary roles and tech level* aww. No high-tech medical equipment? :<

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2015, 06:35:42 am »

No high-tech medical equipment? :<
Nope. No medigel. All the more reason to have a medical doctor on-board, don't you think.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 06:45:49 am by GUNINANRUNIN »

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2015, 06:47:57 am »

Watching how my setting is liked. :3
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2015, 06:48:25 am »

Nope. No medigel. All the more reason to have a medical doctor on-board, don't you think.

Tiruin prepare your painkiller syringes and amputation saws! :3
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2015, 06:49:51 am »

Fetch the handrills, it's trepanning time!
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2015, 07:11:12 am »

Fetch the handrills, it's trepanning time!
No need for these fancy painkillers! Tell 'em to bite down on their belt and boil some wine!
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?
Dying of pure unbridled hatred, actually.

wipeout1024

• Bay Watcher
  • I lie, but I tell the truth too.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2015, 07:25:54 am »

This looks interesting, maybe I'll apply.
Ain't nobody got time for that.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 17