Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Recap  (Read 2018 times)

YvAd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Recap
« on: April 06, 2015, 08:29:40 pm »

I haven't played since right after the big release with dynamic history. Looks like a lot has changed; can someone quickly recap major changes? I'd really appreciate it.
In the newest version, vampires deny being vampires. Try face-stabbing instead.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Re: Recap
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2015, 01:33:27 am »

Emotion rewrite, stepladders (for fruit picking), gelding (neutering), multi-hauling (without bins), proximity breeding (no more spores), job priority rewrite, designation priorities, auto vein mining, some bug fixes and rebalances. Attackers don't auto-win in dynamic history. DFHack's TWBT (Text will be Text) plugin allows regular text with graphics tilesets and experimental multi z-level rendering.

There's still a lack of substantial goblin sieges or any baby snatchers. Archers are acting very stupidly (jumping out of towers to engage the enemy.) Job priorities is kind of buggy (there's a delay between jobs were dwarves wonder off for a second and that messes up some things, e.g. digging pits. Sometimes jobs don't get assigned and are ignored forever.)
« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 01:47:33 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Pirate Santa

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2015, 06:27:42 am »

I've been seeing these kind of threads pop up semi-regularly, would it be worth creating a stickied changelog thread?

A compilation of all the stuff Toady posts in the DF Announcements area.
Or should we just direct people to the announcements forum?
Welcome to Dwarf Fortress. Where peaceful death of old age is something nobody sees coming.
it turns out Dog Bone Doctors aren't very good at doctoring.

YvAd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2015, 11:05:03 am »

A condensed changelog would be great. I like to read the dev blog, but it takes a lot of time and effort.
In the newest version, vampires deny being vampires. Try face-stabbing instead.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2015, 01:13:37 pm »

There's still a lack of substantial goblin sieges or any baby snatchers. Archers are acting very stupidly (jumping out of towers to engage the enemy.) Job priorities is kind of buggy (there's a delay between jobs were dwarves wonder off for a second and that messes up some things, e.g. digging pits. Sometimes jobs don't get assigned and are ignored forever.)

I believe its related to proximity. I'm about 6-8 overworld map tiles away from a gobbo civ, and I get fairly regular sieges. Some of them were quite substantial, with the last one having 3 groups of goblins and about 30 trolls. Some of these trolls were armed with halberds.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

orbcontrolled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2015, 03:06:06 pm »

I believe its related to proximity. I'm about 6-8 overworld map tiles away from a gobbo civ, and I get fairly regular sieges. Some of them were quite substantial, with the last one having 3 groups of goblins and about 30 trolls. Some of these trolls were armed with halberds.

There are many stories of people embarking directly next to a mature dark fortress and still getting nothing. In fact, I assume that's the first thing most people try when they realize they aren't getting sieged. I know it was the first thing I tried.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2015, 03:45:43 pm »

There are many stories of people embarking directly next to a mature dark fortress and still getting nothing. In fact, I assume that's the first thing most people try when they realize they aren't getting sieged. I know it was the first thing I tried.

Proximity and possibility, perhaps? If it's also related to population of the enemy civ, then you could end up embarked right next to a civ that has 300 goblins in it, and is therefore less likely to attack than one with 30k goblins?

I'm just taking shots in the dark at this point.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Pirate Santa

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2015, 08:21:34 pm »

A condensed changelog would be great. I like to read the dev blog, but it takes a lot of time and effort.
Copying all of the changes from these into a single thread shouldn't be too much work, but there a few things that need solving.
1. Stickying - I'm presuming a request would have to be put in to Toady for this to happen.
2. Posts - Would probably need to restrict the posting somehow so we don't get distracting posts mixed in with the logs. This is working on the assumption multiple posts will be required, does anyone know the maximum limit on a single post's size?
Welcome to Dwarf Fortress. Where peaceful death of old age is something nobody sees coming.
it turns out Dog Bone Doctors aren't very good at doctoring.

Oblique

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2015, 11:55:53 pm »

I think the most workable solution would be a stickied post with a link to an off-site changelog. Stick it in a github repo or google doc or something. That way it can be as large as required, maintained by multiple people, and Toady won't have to deal with it apart from clicking the 'sticky'-button.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2015, 03:44:22 am »

Proximity and possibility, perhaps? If it's also related to population of the enemy civ, then you could end up embarked right next to a civ that has 300 goblins in it, and is therefore less likely to attack than one with 30k goblins?

I'm just taking shots in the dark at this point.

It could also depend on if your civ is at war with them, and if they are at war with someone else they may be busy.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Niddhoger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2015, 03:57:18 am »

dem stepladders do.  In the first summer (only time of hte year you can harvest from trees), you can easily pick up a few hundred fruit (brewable usually) from trees.  I typically take a "harvest season" approach by turning on plant gathering for all my scud labor to go strip-mine trees and berries for this time.  Berries (and other "garden vegetable") typically fruit at the same time as trees.  Multi-hauling also allows herbalists to carry ~40-50 stacks of plants.  I've easily seen 100+ units of plants gathered in a couple weeks game time.  The most I've seen one carry in one trip was about 215-130 iirc  You basically only need to farm for textiles now... Its far too easy to spike a huge surplus with herbalists and just weather any sieges you get.

Dorfs are still asshats with bins/barrels though.  You still can't use bins in your cloth chain of production without some damned cheesmonger swooping in ever few seconds to drag a bin to your craftdorfshop to snatch a single thread making the other 100 in the bin unusable for your weaver.... *sigh*  Why must dorf's drag bins/barrels to items instead of the other way around?

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2015, 02:43:06 pm »

Why must dorf's drag bins/barrels to items instead of the other way around?
Wasn't it made this way to get around complaints about dwarves taking items one at a time?
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2015, 04:14:16 pm »

Why must dorf's drag bins/barrels to items instead of the other way around?
Wasn't it made this way to get around complaints about dwarves taking items one at a time?
Dwarves multi-haul without them now. There's no reason they should leave the stockpile.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2015, 03:26:55 am »

Um, it might be worth noting that there is an actual change log included in the DF download. It's called "release_notes.txt" and is pretty much exactly what you are looking for, with a release-by-release breakdown of basically all of the changes that Toady makes.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2015, 03:38:03 am »

Yeah, sure, but for people who don't follow the game closely (which seems to be the goal of this thread), some changes can appear big when they are not.
A release note presents all the changes equally, when many are very minor and a few only very important.

Perhaps this topic could presents what is ACTUALLY changing when you are playing ?
Like "if you didn't play since XXXX --> bla bla bla
if you didn't play since YYYY --> bla bla bla"

Where you could find two parts one for dwarf fortress, and one for adventurers, and max 10-15 lines. Condensed.

Pages: [1] 2