Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Coolest thing you've ever done in a non-DF game.  (Read 2861 times)

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
  • Souls are tasty. Kinda like bacon.
    • View Profile
Coolest thing you've ever done in a non-DF game.
« on: April 06, 2015, 09:37:08 am »

As the title says, what is the coolest thing you've done?
For me, it was putting a disc on top of a motor and then attaching yet more motors with attached disks (which, in turn, had spiked clubs on them) to the first disk in Robot Arena 2. Besides the disc, I had one set of powered wheels, two spikes on either side of the rear casing and two spikes sticking out on top. The resulting gyroscopic force caused the thing to topple all over the place, making it impossible for an enemy to harm me. The conflict between said gyroscopic force and the bot's strange center of gravity (plus the slightly asymmetric placement of the clubs) made things so bad that the discs usually glitched out to the point where they were invisible and undamageable but still capable of supporting the spikes for some reason. I also managed to get the thing to explode like a nuke in the sandbox mode. Plus, the spikes on top turned out to be one of the most useful parts of the design, allowing me to damage enemies even when I was standing on my disc or the disc was flailing in the air like a helicopter blade.
And yet another bit of proof that RNG is toying with us. We do 1984, it does animal farm
...why do your hydras have two more heads than mine? 
Does that mean male hydras... oh god dammit.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
Re: Coolest thing you've ever done in a non-DF game.
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2015, 09:39:02 am »

A 2-legged walker in Besiege.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2015, 10:22:15 am »

I made an upside down pyramid home in Gnomoria.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=154932211
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
  • Science gets you to space.
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2015, 11:23:41 am »

Shores of Hazeron back when fleetships were a thing:
Linked 15 ships (and 1 station) together into a giant flying death-machine with giant laser pods and troop/invasion pods and backup fuel container/storage.
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Current Project: Demon Legend
Also working on THIS! Farworld Pioneers
Mastodon

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2015, 12:28:11 pm »

Grappled by a giant crab demon while climbing across the ceiling, proceeded to beat it to death with my bare hands, still attached to the ceiling. Felt good.

Incursion, late-game drow priest 3/barbarian X of Zurvash.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2015, 12:34:38 pm »

Created a gigantic fully independent weapons factory that could basically create me every single type of non exclusive capital ship weapon in the game and every type of missile frigate speacialized missiles.

X3: Albion prelude.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2015, 12:35:13 pm »

Once mowed down like three cities' worth of zombies in Cata.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2015, 12:36:23 pm »

Blew up a grenade mid-arc with a throwing knife.

COD4

Continuously win against overwhelming odds in the campaigns.

NTW and ETW

started to develop my own style in toribash, used mostly in jousting.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2015, 12:53:41 pm »

Destroying a rival 40-man Eve Online corporation by turning the leadership against each other. I made a new account, spent two months in the corp until they trusted me enough to give me some leadership roles. I started to forge quotes, steal items, all blaming it on other people, playing a 'mean girls' style inside job. It ended up with a few big yelling matches on TS between the four other directors (all too dumb and testosterone-packed to realize they've been played) and the corporation disbanding.

Yes, I might be an evil, evil person. But this is Eve, after all. Cruelty is a core game mechanic.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2015, 03:37:50 pm »

In GMod Spacebuild, built a remote-controllable spacefighter with a working fusion plant with a remote-detonate control (which vented all the water and triggered an unrealistic giant explosion). (It was originally a mining vessel, but I figured I might as well program a self-destruct...)
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2015, 03:43:01 pm »

In GMod Spacebuild, built a remote-controllable spacefighter with a working fusion plant with a remote-detonate control (which vented all the water and triggered an unrealistic giant explosion). (It was originally a mining vessel, but I figured I might as well program a self-destruct...)

Ah, I loved space build! Are they still updating it?
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2015, 07:11:32 pm »

I don't think so, but I haven't played it in years now.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2015, 07:33:09 pm »

In Operation Flashpoint, shooting down an enemy chopper with the manual-aim-only FFAR. You only have a limited amount, they're difficult to line up, and usually both the target and yourself are moving. There's very few really awesome action movie-type moments in Operation Flashpoint, but nothing is cooler than hearing a massive BOOM, then watching a broken helicopter tumble out of the sky, trailing smoke all the way before crashing with a shriek of twisting metal as it hits the ground.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2015, 07:46:59 pm »

I held a bombed out apartment building in Red Orchestra 2 as an MG42 gunner. Had a clear view of about 60% of the level from almost the top floor. I proceeded to pick off squads of players running along the opposite edge of the level trying to get into an objective point inside a bunker, for almost an entire game. I've played plenty of online military shooters. I'm not that great. Sometimes you'll kill 3 or 4 guys at best and that will be a glory moment.

This was a slaughter. I've never felt like I was in war more than that moment, using tracer rounds to just walk MG42 rounds across ant trails of Russian soldiers trying to make for the trenches that would lead them to the foot of my apartment building. Some of them did, and discovered I had an equally good vantage point on that too, and that the MG42 cut through the corrugated metal roofs and bridges of the trenches like they weren't even there. Those that tried to weave out of the narrow line of advance through open cover usually found themselves blown up by artillery, or cut down by everyone else firing from eye level, if I didn't get them first. It got to the point went to single shot and started going for headshots because I had my range dialed in so well, bullet drop accounted for, everything. It's rare you get to shoot from the exact same spot for long in FPS to get that kind of familiarity.

And still the Russians kept trying to advance in that spot. It must have been like 20 minutes and several ammo reloads later before someone finally got mad enough to play a sniper and force me to give up that position. But the damage was done. I single-handedly broke their will and capability to win, without even moving pretty much. I must have walked away with 25+ kills just from that. It was basically a "and this is why I'll never go to war" moment.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2015, 09:35:43 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2015, 07:52:25 pm »

*snip* no idea how that happened.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2015, 08:16:36 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: [1] 2