Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Do you think that people like birds? Also, do you like birds?

Yes, I think people as a whole like birds, and I myself like birds.
Yes, I  think people as a whole like birds, though I myself do not like birds.
No, I do not think people as a whole like birds, though I myself do like birds.
No, I do not think people as a whole like birds, and I myself do not like birds.
Well, I think people as a whole are indifferent towards birds, though I myself like birds.
Well, I think people as a whole are indifferent towards birds, though I myself do not like birds.
Well, I think people as a whole are indifferent towards birds, and I myself am indifferent towards birds.
Yes, I think people as a whole like birds, though I myself am indifferent towards birds.
No, I think people as a whole no not like birds, though I myself am indifferent towards birds.

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: A question of dire importance to my sanity; please respond:  (Read 4432 times)

CrzyMonkeyNinja

• Bay Watcher
  • He strikes from above...
    • View Profile
A question of dire importance to my sanity; please respond:
« on: April 04, 2015, 10:23:00 pm »

So, I want to know whether or not the good people of Bay12 think that people like birds. Now, this is not asking whether some people like birds, or simply whether you like birds, but whether you think the population of human beings as a whole have a net positive of affection for birds. I am also asking whether you each individually like birds just to get a feel for whether there actually is a net positive of affection for birds within the Bay12 community.

At this point, I suspect you are wondering why I am asking this question. I shall start by saying that $20 and my sanity lie upon the answer. I shall not, however, tell you which way my bet lies. It shall suffice to say that I seek to settle a simple bet between friends on the general state of avian-human relations.

Your response is very much appreciated.

Regards,
Me

P.S. You may not change your vote after it has been cast. Please consider your verdict wisely.

Edit:
I have now added options for indifference. I apologize to those who would have chosen such a category, but have already cast their immutable vote. I'm afraid I'm somewhat of a poor scientist.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 08:42:09 am by CrzyMonkeyNinja »
“I do not love the bright sword for it's sharpness, nor the arrow for it's swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend” - J.R.R. Tolkien

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
Re: A question of dire importance to my sanity; please respond:
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2015, 10:51:00 pm »

I like birds, quite a lot actually. Enough that I keep an eye out for them and try to identify them. I would also say that humans in general have a decent appreciation for birds (except maybe for pigeons and crows) but on the whole have generally positive sentiments about them.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2015, 10:52:49 pm »

Like, do I get to pick and choose my birds? I love me some songbirds and chickens and parrots, but wouldn't be too miffed if geese suddenly disappeared...

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2015, 11:38:12 pm »

I don't like birds.  I always think they are going to peck out my eyes or give me a parasite.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Urist Arrhenius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2015, 11:41:46 pm »

Birds are nice by and large. Probably not people's favorites, but not disliked.
We're all just Simple Folk trying to get by.

You can also watch me learn to draw.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2015, 11:53:50 pm »

I like birds. Yay birds.
Chickens are kind of annoying, but I still like them.

I don't think most people like birds in general, though.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2015, 12:27:37 am »

I'd say that the majority of humans are indifferent to birds as a whole, and as such don't fall into either side of the poll. It's like, there's some birds that are kinda cool to look at, but actually dealing with real birds is annoying. It's not a net positive or negative either way.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2015, 01:21:40 am »

Both 1 and 4 are true. Some birds are wonderful things, but sparrows, pigeons, seagulls, starlings, &c. can all fuck off until we need them to eat a plague of insects.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2015, 01:25:17 am »

I like birds in general. Some birds (hummingbirds, penguins, owls) are among my favorite animals, period.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
  • Science gets you to space.
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2015, 02:09:13 am »

Birds are wonderful.  And tasty.
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Current Project: Demon Legend
Also working on THIS! Farworld Pioneers
Mastodon

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2015, 02:20:47 am »

I like chicken. That's about it.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2015, 02:38:33 am »

Any person who honestly looks into their heart will see that birds are by far the worst type of animal, and that we should treat them as such. Sadly, it appears this thread is filled with avian-sympathizing jerks.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2015, 02:43:28 am »

Any person who honestly looks into their heart will see that birds are by far the worst type of animal, and that we should treat them as such. Sadly, it appears this thread is filled with avian-sympathizing jerks.
Indeed. Lousy feathered buggers.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2015, 02:59:21 am »

Birds in general are okay. Though despite some birds being amongst the creatures closest to us in intelligence, they are rather neurotic. Maybe they all still have PTSD from seeing their bigger cousins get wiped out by an impact event.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2015, 04:07:52 am »

I think there are more positive depictions of birds in fiction than negative depictions. Songbirds are seen as pretty, owls are seen as wise, falcons and eagles are seen as noble and regal, enough so that more than a few national governments have used them as heraldric symbols, some dating back thousands of years. Doves are associated with peace, and have religious connotations for some religions. Doves are released at wedding, at funerals and by major religious figures as gestures of peace, freedom, and good fortune. Birds have assisted man in the hunt, been carriers of letters, and pets. They've been venerated in many cultures and have appeared in cherished forms in mythologies across the world. The phoenix, with its theme of rebirth,thefenghuang, attributed with Confucian virtues, the simurgh,known for benevolence and purification.

Symbolismn, heralrdry, mythology, common fiction...even modern commercials aimed at children...all very consistently portray birds as creatures of beauty, wisdom, peace and nobility.

i think as an averaged whole humanity perceives birds in a positive light.

Pages: [1] 2 3