Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: magma forging  (Read 3106 times)

davidc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
magma forging
« on: April 03, 2015, 08:19:48 am »

I'm not 100% sure how to supply heat to my forges for glass, weapons, etc. I'm going to make a 3x1 pump stack powered with a water generator. However, I'm not sure exactly where the magma needs to go. I believe it needs to be an open space below the workshop (not covered by solid wall in the workshop, not in the center of the workshop). However, regarding heat: can I just make a long row of magma underneath a series of glass and metal workshops or would that cause some

If I make a row of magma, will the tiles on top and below that magma burn?  Let's say I had a realgar wall underneath magma, but I covered it with basalt flooring above... what about uncovered?

If I make a magma source for a wood furnace, can I use magma to create charcoal or ash? Would it thereafter turn to fire?  :)

Anyways, if there's a guide for using magma, I'm interested. My current fort is around 15 years old (ever since seiges disappeared and wood/fruit is plentiful I can play the game and actually dig into other mechanics).

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: magma forging
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2015, 08:38:40 am »

If you can create magma pump stacks, you can create magma-safe mine carts.
Dig a 4x4 room, stockpile 16 magma-safe minecarts.
Have one end of the room Pump magma into it.
Have the other end of the room with a magma safe door/floodgate/bridge to drain the magma after it's filled.
Let it magma evaporate, but the minecarts should be filled with magma inside, and safe to be moved.

You only need 1 tile with at least 4/7 magma below the magma smelter/forge/glass kiln/glass furnace.
So channel 1-tile pit, create a trackstop, to dump into the pit using minecart with magma.
Each minecart magma has 2/7 magma, so change the minecart to the next one until you have at least 4/7 magma in the pit.

logs turn into charcoal.
magma does not turn into charcoal or coke.
lignite ore or bituminous coal ore turn into coke.
there is not magma-wood burner

Dwarf_Fever

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2015, 02:28:13 pm »

I'm not 100% sure how to supply heat to my forges for glass, weapons, etc. I'm going to make a 3x1 pump stack powered with a water generator. However, I'm not sure exactly where the magma needs to go. I believe it needs to be an open space below the workshop (not covered by solid wall in the workshop, not in the center of the workshop). However, regarding heat: can I just make a long row of magma underneath a series of glass and metal workshops

(Disclaimer: I use Phoebus tileset.) If you look at a workshop just prior to placing it, you will see which of the blocks are solid. They will be a brighter green X. The darker green are traversable. This means two things: Dwarves will be able to walk through the dark green X areas... and for magma-powered workshops, you must first channel holes underneath where the light green Xs are going to be. These holes must have a certain minimum level of magma underneath. The rest won't matter. (From memory, typically it is the center top square of a smelter, or the two mid side squares of forges.)

If I make a row of magma, will the tiles on top and below that magma burn?  Let's say I had a realgar wall underneath magma, but I covered it with basalt flooring above... what about uncovered?

I'm not sure I understand the question, but if you build a floor 1 z-level over 7/7 full magma, you should be fine.

If I make a magma source for a wood furnace, can I use magma to create charcoal or ash? Would it thereafter turn to fire?  :)

There is no need for a magma wood furnace, because wood does not require additional fuel to burn, it is the fuel.

Lastly, what I do instead of stack pumps is establish a mini-colony starting 1 level above the nearest convenient pool of magma. I usually have no shortage of haulers, so I set a small food and a small drink stockpile there that draws from the main stockpile, then I add a second dining room, then I set up a second quantum stockpile for all metal related items, and lastly I create nice bedrooms and move everyone directly related to the metal industry into the depths.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2015, 02:31:39 pm by Dwarf_Fever »
"Whatever exists, having somehow come into being, is again and again reinterpreted to new ends, taken over, transformed, and redirected by some power superior to it; all events in the organic world are a subduing, a becoming master, and all subduing and becoming master involves a fresh interpretation, an adaptation through which any previous 'meaning' and 'purpose' are necessarily obscured or obliterated."

KingKaol

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a magma.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2015, 02:53:34 pm »

For normal tilesets it's the other way around I guess; dark green is solid, light green is passable. For magma forges which have two solid tiles you only need to channel under one of them in order to power the workshop.

Dwarf_Fever

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2015, 03:54:09 pm »

For normal tilesets it's the other way around I guess; dark green is solid, light green is passable. For magma forges which have two solid tiles you only need to channel under one of them in order to power the workshop.

I am probably confused, thank you for the correction. And for the tip, I didn't realize you just needed one.
"Whatever exists, having somehow come into being, is again and again reinterpreted to new ends, taken over, transformed, and redirected by some power superior to it; all events in the organic world are a subduing, a becoming master, and all subduing and becoming master involves a fresh interpretation, an adaptation through which any previous 'meaning' and 'purpose' are necessarily obscured or obliterated."

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2015, 04:10:47 pm »

Magma forges need one of the following spots to be a hole in the ground, with magma on the level underneath:

(hole marked with O)
XXX
OXO
XXX

All magma furnaces need the following spot to be a hole:
XOX
XXX
XXX

Hope this helps!
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2015, 05:56:11 pm »

Actually, any of the spots under the forge can be a hole except for the center. But if you don't put it under a solid part of the forge/furnace, magma critters can climb out and fry your smiths.

Niddhoger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2015, 06:13:24 am »

Actually, any of the spots under the forge can be a hole except for the center. But if you don't put it under a solid part of the forge/furnace, magma critters can climb out and fry your smiths.

^This so hard.  Unless you are creating a small magma reservoir ro build the forge over/seal off the magma source, you'll get "guests" into your forge room.  Fire imps and magma crabs tend to "swim" through the magma.  If you build only under the solid tiles, they won't be able to swim through.  This is mostly an issue if you leave the magma source open (tap into volcano/magma sea). 

As far as charcoal... magma 100% replaces choke and charcoal.  If you still need ash for fertilizer, potash, lye, etc... yes you'll still need to burn the wood in a wood furnace then process it at an ashery.  Magma only replaces using wood as charcoal.  So you can power your magma glass smelter with magma, but will still need wood-sourced pearlash to make clear glass (in addition to said magma).  The magma is never actually consumed though, so a magma furnace next to a sand source can produce infinite amounts of green glass products quickly.  And honestly? I don't remotely bother with clear/crystal glass until I get magma forges up and running.  It takes far too much wood to produce otherwise.  You wind up need 3 logs across 4 stations to produce a single unit of clear glass... and that is in addition to having the spare bags to do this more than once at a time. 

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2015, 09:11:07 am »

Keep in mind I've never had that happen myself but I have seen it happen to others. Why won't you crawl out into my cage traps, little magma crabs :'(

Authority2

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC: INCREASE_FPS: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2015, 09:54:11 am »

You still need coke/charcoal to make steel, but only the one bar that's an actual component of the metal.
"But I tell you what the Queen wants is impossible. The story of her mandate to create floodgates in our desert fortress cannot be told in less than 314160 stanzas! Art bows not to any dwarf!"

Dwarf_Fever

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2015, 12:27:26 pm »

Bituminous coal costs 3 points at embark and makes 9 units of fuel, which is a great deal. Especially if you save money by taking no axes or picks, and instead take some ore to smelt copper and an iron anvil, you can bring hundreds of fuel units with you for cheap. (Hint: break the wagon to make a training axe and chop trees for first true fuel, use the stone menu to enable building with economic things for the fire-proof materials. Ash bars from wood are if I recall, both fire and magma proof.)

Authority2

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC: INCREASE_FPS: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2015, 02:18:14 pm »

With the new trees, you'll never run out of fuel. Bring flux and iron ore instead.
"But I tell you what the Queen wants is impossible. The story of her mandate to create floodgates in our desert fortress cannot be told in less than 314160 stanzas! Art bows not to any dwarf!"

KingKaol

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a magma.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2015, 03:35:47 pm »

Bituminous coal costs 3 points at embark and makes 9 units of fuel, which is a great deal. Especially if you save money by taking no axes or picks, and instead take some ore to smelt copper and an iron anvil, you can bring hundreds of fuel units with you for cheap. (Hint: break the wagon to make a training axe and chop trees for first true fuel, use the stone menu to enable building with economic things for the fire-proof materials. Ash bars from wood are if I recall, both fire and magma proof.)

I just started doing this and I really like it. It's a lot cheaper than bringing the metal items (if you can get an iron anvil, with a steel anvil it's closer to break-even) and it's nice to get a metal industry going right off the bat. Sometimes you can't get bituminous coal, but lignite will work as well although the coke yield is lower.

Unfortunately I've found if you embark somewhere with cliffs you can't rely on the wagon being there so I always bring wood.

Dwarf_Fever

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2015, 04:14:01 pm »

With the new trees, you'll never run out of fuel. Bring flux and iron ore instead.

Not a bad point. I usually play 34.11, it's more !!FUN!!. Sieges and so on are too rare in the newer version for my tastes.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2015, 04:19:33 pm »

More of my forts have fallen to werebeasts in 0.40 than ever fell to sieges in 0.34.
Pages: [1] 2