Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Movies/TV shows/Anime/Animation you wish existed.  (Read 4986 times)

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
Re: Movies/TV shows/Anime/Animation you wish existed.
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2015, 09:14:18 pm »

Also: an atheist movie, where a Christian discovers that they don't believe in God and atheism is finally portrayed tastefully in film for once.

and it should be deceptively advertised so that it looks like its going to be a christian movie; that way we don't end up preaching to the choir
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2015, 01:17:03 am »

I want medieval noir. It could be a game or a comic book or something, the idea of that just seems really neat to me.

A knight making his way in a shitty medieval city. Dealing with smugglers and gangs, prostitution, corrupt nobles, the whole shebang. Like if you made a show about a guard in Game of Thrones, except he's not just some expendable pawn. He's hardboiled, has a drinking problem, and isn't above bribes but has some standards on who he accepts them from.
+1
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2015, 01:19:06 am »

I want medieval noir. It could be a game or a comic book or something, the idea of that just seems really neat to me.

A knight making his way in a shitty medieval city. Dealing with smugglers and gangs, prostitution, corrupt nobles, the whole shebang. Like if you made a show about a guard in Game of Thrones, except he's not just some expendable pawn. He's hardboiled, has a drinking problem, and isn't above bribes but has some standards on who he accepts them from.

If you don't mind books, try "Low Town" by Daniel Polansky.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2015, 01:43:19 am »

That sounds a lot like the book Guards! Guards! by Terry Pratchett
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2015, 02:46:51 am »

Firefly Season 2.
^^This.

Also hardboiled medieval detective show, give it to me.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2015, 04:31:58 am »

+1
If you'll settle for Medieval-ish Fantasy Noir there's Hunter Black. I mean, you know, depending on how exacting your definition of Noir is.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2015, 06:01:11 am »

Oh, actual suggestion- more of the show Fringe instead of that bizarre last season that was obviously just a wrap-up due to pressure by FOX. Which is strange, since FOX tends to just cancel without notice.
IKR?
I didn't even bother watching it because it was just so fucking ridiculous and corny.
They pumped up the Observers all that time for some bullshit B-movie invasion plot?
#notmyFringe
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2015, 05:03:34 pm »

I want to see a romantic comedy with real life consequences applied to all the romantic actions (who doesn't want to see the hero get inconvenienced by the TSA or airport security (by real life methods)? And due to due process, are not on time, for once?). Now that's comedy gold. Nothing like watching a romcom scene backfire really damn hard, as reality would deliver. Of course, apply this especially to the insufferable romcoms. Other cases would actually be depressing.

For the more tragic side, make a romantic comedy, except told from the consistently failing nice guy's perspective (however, this nice guy doesn't finish last; He never even finishes at all. Again, real life applied. However, he's not a "nice guy", nor even a "Beta" or "Alpha" type, but just your average decent human being, often mistaken for being a "nice guy".). Why hasn't this been made yet? Would it become a horror film instead? Not a horror for the nice guy, exactly (you watch that anyhow); but for self-proclaimed "normal people" (the kind who falsely judge they'll get murdered by these guys; whether the threat was visible or even legit or not)). More often than not, legitimately decent guys have been screwed over so hard (not in the good way, so to speak). Mind you, these guys have no ulterior motives (of course, you see it all; the accusations, the terrible wingmen that actually worsens their chances, unsupportive family, bad advice (serious (probably bad, and usually cop-out (Basically, advice that actually says "be a nice guy" outright. or the kind of advice that you'd get from Reddit or a self-help book that doesn't work at all. Hell, women (even the guy's sisters or mother) are even no help to the poor guy (the most help would probably be a hook-up out of frustration, just to shut him the fuck up about being single; and predictably, that works out just about as well as you'd expect (total failure, and the hook-up would actually be just as psychologically damaged as this guy, and even willingly fatten up to prevent having guys leer at her (she actually hates the attention; and unpredictably, has nothing in common with the guy, despite her own shortcomings that would play off as plenty in common with each other, that could have ended in success.).). Reason for not helping? Who the fuck knows?))) advice; not romcom "bad advice" that makes you uncomfortable to watch with other people (you know, unrated material))), and so on). They're playing by the rules (which you clearly also see the usual dating scene breaking them all and winning anyway and bragging about it, and being unhelpful as usual because they love winning the game too much (and becoming a total shameless Quagmire types that make you wonder how they get all the girls, being the kinds of people they are (you know, just like Quagmire).)). Sleeping with a girl is not the endgame for them in these movies'/series' cases (like any decent person should prioritize (Be with someone that makes you happy. Sleeping with them shouldn't be top-most priority on the list); however society in general thinks otherwise (The "Test Drive" policy before long-term/marriage, so to put it. Bad sex = dealbreaker, regardless how perfect for you they are; No kidding, people actually think like this.), and seems pretty damn proud of it.). By the end of the movie, he still doesn't get the girl, or any girl at all, but finally gets the message, and learns when to fold them (basically, decides to finally quit dating overall, due to constant failure (at minimum, a good dozen or so attempts annually)), and accept lifetime solitude (he does live happily ever after eventually, but not with companionship or the common "happily ever after" ending. You know, like the common ending for most guys.). Moral of the story: The dating game sucks (or maybe even rigged); and sometimes, the best way to play is not to play at all. In summary: as long as you're not lonely, solitude is more peaceful than wasting your life "getting a life", and losing your mind in a non-peaceful way.

EDIT:
As you can probably tell, I'm not a fan of romcoms (most of them are too damn optimistic or cheesy, are unrealistic by all means, riddled with unnecessary fanservice (which in many cases even intentionally makes decent/nice guys awkward and uncomfortable to watch (like they're anti-sex types (virginity = "I don't know what sex is, and I'm 40, play video games, watch anime religiously (and speaking of religion PRAISE JESUS!), and collect comic books and such."; you know, the usual bullshit false advertising.), or the kinds of people that never saw a naked body before, or are more dense than the actual male lead)), and also seems to make sex the endgame priority and prime-motivation for the lead roles to hook up (The perfect aesop for anyone out for love!). Love happens to not really exist in movies and such about romance (or ever, really. Love doesn't exist, even as a concept. By proper interpretation, that's actually lust with a hell of a disguise.). Ironic, huh?). This is an application direction to remedy that (while telling the story from the other side of the fence (while being as brutally honest as possible and tolerable); the side people often mute). Plus, if anyone follows a movie example, they deliver the wrong message unintentionally. This teaches them why romcoms are not an educational source of bettering your odds. Hell, if you were a Disney kid that liked fairytale romance, you're up shit creek without a paddle there, because hopeless romance is just that. Utter crap. To at least work as a consolation prize for the viewers, we can fast-forward 10 years into the future (even a 10-year reunion), and we still see Mr. Nice Guy being single, still mysteriously unsuccessful up to present day and then some, but at least happier in his solitude, while the others are having failing marriages and living in some regret of having a family due to their recklessness, and being even bigger curmudgeons than the nice guy afterwards (hell, even have a breaking news story playing in the background about a murdered family (by one of the parents, recognizable from the cast), just to hammer the point home.). The nice guy finally shut up, at least. These people regret having a family, and wish they had the nice guy's "good fortune" of solitude. The nice guy envied them for having their "Hell" of a family ("mistakes"/"accidents" as they would call them) they don't even care about; and took it for granted. A secondary anvil to drop to audiences. Nice guys are most-often demonized; yeah... well, these people aren't any better either, and in some cases, are actually much worse; just look at how much they hate their "happy family" life. Hell, it can even call out "Planned Parenthood" as more of an anti-family/anti-responsibility countermeasure for most people dating, than a form of security for one reason or another (some cases are justified, I'll accept, despite my personal views (I'm really against it. No debate please. I don't want this thread locked. But I do understand most cases, and why such actions are taken.); but most-other cases I call bullshit, and those people are avoiding taking responsibility for once in some of these peoples' lives; they, knowing their own actions, and disregarding the consequences overall, without remorse.). I mean, you reap what you sow.).

Since we also have monster movies as viewed from the population's perspective, it would be entertaining to see an action movie from the government's perspective; like how to deal with the (political/civil) fallout from a movie like Fast & the Furious series; or the cleanup from Die Hard (With a Vengeance). Make it a documentary even. I mean, hearing comments from the civilians in GTA games is hilarious. Imagine the interviews for a documentary of a series going down. You don't witness the plot, but you get the entire story from the people who witnessed it. District 9 was okay, but the other movies that can have a serious ripple effect that's hard to coverup, now that would be interesting to watch. It would be like a combination of Dr. Strangelove meets District 9.

To add to the legitimacy feel to it, the entire movie is ended by being like a multi-part episode of Ancient Aliens or something (sequel hook being another episode to the show). It's so absurd, it's on The History Channel or something. Of course, the person watching said movie would have a reaction as you'd expect of such a demographic. Usually having it play in the background while playing an online game or something, not thinking twice about whether it's factual or not.

EDIT EDIT:
Pretty much, I consider my tragic romcom to be a darkly humorous story about everyday dating life, as told and perceived by the nice guy (no exaggerations, like your common comedies, or other shows that play up the "(Hollywood) Undateable" trope.). It's a cringe comedy because you also don't realize just how many bullets this guy also dodges, and he's miserable he didn't even get hit by any of them, just to have a lifelong companion (the happiness may not be forever, but at least it existed for them; or so their mindset falls. Even a failure is a success in it's own right, for it's existence qualifies enough). A curse to him seems like a miracle to others, apparently. What can I say? I have a pretty dark/grim sense of humor; reality (and some life experience of being rejected (without explanation in most cases; even out of courtesy so I can fix it for others (or myself, even). Because it's polite to not explain why they find you unappealing.)) works for a hell of a canvas to work with/from. Sorry if this was misinterpreted as me venting, but I really want to see an honest romcom like this, for once. People love cringe comedy, what's more comedic and cringeworthy than the facts of reality, and even seeing how fucked up people really are? Reality is Unrealistic comes to mind.

TL;DR- An honest and realistic romcom (more Com than Rom). As told from the least-regarded perspective. A genuine everyman. Middle-class, standard job, average looks, decent personality, generally courteous (helping out, along the way, kind of stuff), nothing all too special about them (not fitted for specific demographics); yet, everyone always jumps to conclusions about them (namely the dreaded "Nice Guy" title), despite the contrary being true. It also tells how the dating game really is played/rigged, from their perspective. Their happy ending is not entirely what you expect.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2015, 11:59:41 pm by Itnetlolor »

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2015, 02:26:56 am »

Related:
What if we took a romantic tragedy and played it as a comedy? The death scene in Romeo & Juliet for example definitely has the potential to be hilariously funny.
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2015, 07:03:40 am »

Related:
What if we took a romantic tragedy and played it as a comedy? The death scene in Romeo & Juliet for example definitely has the potential to be hilariously funny.
It would be an awesome way to get back at all those who describe their romance as a Romeo & Juliet love story. Just a refresher course in literature for those dumbasses who often forget they both commit suicide at the end (plus, refreshing myself on the topic, it's another case of lust = love (Love isn't instant, last I recall)). For comedy, the parents shrug it off, and are disappointed, rather than honor them. "They'll be an inspiration for generations to come", while they break the 4th wall, and look at the audience with equal disappointment.

EDIT:
While at it, might as well have a low-budget '50 Shades of Grey' for the female audience to watch, and inevitably file reports of sexism, despite the story being no different, but Mr. Grey is not a millionaire this time around. While at it, gender-flip Twilight, and see if the same reaction occurs. This actually sounds like a social experiment with expected disastrous results due to the double-standard factor.

Spoiler: A couple examples (click to show/hide)

EDIT EDIT:
Grey, not Gray. No, that would be an alien abduction via alien millionaire. Probing at it's finest. Why not? Probably a better love story than both.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2015, 07:49:22 am by Itnetlolor »

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2015, 07:41:28 am »

« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 02:56:53 pm by penguinofhonor »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2015, 10:04:36 am »

Related:
Romeo and Juliet as a whole is a comedy. Even bit with the deaths it isn't, properly speaking, a tragedy; the downfall comes not of any purely human failing, but because of random chance. If Friar John hadn't stopped at a sickhouse to give comfort to plague victims, he would never have been quarantined, Lawrence's letter would have been delivered, and the plot would have been happily resolved.

Hell, it's always a laugh to hear someone talk about how romantic and moving Act 2 Scene 2 (the balcony) is. Read the bloody thing, Romeo's spouting off like a goofy kid because he is a goofy kid, it's a brilliant farcical expression of the Petrarchan conceit.

Two of the fairest stars in all the heaven,
Having some business, do entreat her eyes
To twinkle in their spheres till they return.
What if her eyes were there, they in her head?
The brightness of her cheek would shame those stars,
As daylight doth a lamp; her eyes in heaven
Would through the airy region stream so bright
That birds would sing and think it were not night.

Trans. to modern casual English: "Dude, her eyes are like frikken lasers!"

That's the beautiful thing about Shakespeare, once you get past the language barrier he's almost invariably hilarious and bawdy. It's just a shame that all that's usually taught, even in a lot of postsecondary institutions, is boring and lifeless dross stripped of all meaning and soul, and of course most students can't be arsed to parse it themselves, so they just rely on the interpretations of their instructor Sparknotes and Wikipedia.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2015, 01:49:45 pm »

Someone needs to make a movie that draws upon the bozarre and uncanny paralells between the Iraq war of 2003-2011 and Plan 9 From Outer Space...

Think about it; Plan 9 is ultimately a story about a bizarrely mismanaged and incompetent search for and warning against he use of weapons of mass destruction (the solarinite bomb) that simply don't exist.

Somebody either needs to remake Plan 9 and give the aliens the personalities of Bush administration officials, or else make a movie about the Iraq war that includes fantastic elements cribbed from Plan 9
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2015, 03:04:40 am »

Idea for Xmas special:

Various joy hating historical figures such as Oliver Cromwell get together and steal Christmas. They kidnap all of the major holiday characters (Santa Claus, Frosty the Snowman, etc.). The task of saving christmas falls to a semi-incompetant team or self-described "second string holiday characters" consisting of Krampus, Good King Wenceslas, and Jesus Christ
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2015, 12:37:25 am »

How did Jesus become a second string?
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4