Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Weep holes method to dig through an aquifer  (Read 4028 times)

MetalRocks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Weep holes method to dig through an aquifer
« on: April 02, 2015, 08:57:09 am »

While working on my 3x3 double slit method (which is also possible though a bit slower than the standard 2x4) I found a much faster method than the double slit at the cost of an extra screw pump in the lowest aquifer level. I could not find anything similar in the forums so I made a step by step tutorial that you can find here. I won't post the "3x3 double slit method" because this method rendered it obsolete.

I will call it the "weep holes" method. Although similar in concept to the double slit method, this system has some major differences: It allows the construction of 3x3 staircases (or 3x4), it avoids the problem of job cancellations except in the two lower aquifer lever (which makes it a good choice for multiple aquifer layers), in the lowest aquifer level it uses two pumps instead of one and it is much faster (I went through 3 layers of aquifer in 1 month and 3 weeks).

Spoiler: Requirements (click to show/hide)

"Face each battle, each foe, as though it is your last.

One day it will be"

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Weep holes method to dig through an aquifer
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2015, 11:14:38 am »

I'll check this out later.

I've been using the pump stack method after I've done the double slit method with success.

edit: pump stack piercing found here: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=144099.msg5685178#msg5685178

MetalRocks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2015, 11:40:08 am »

I'll check this out later.

I've been using the pump stack method after I've done the double slit method with success.

edit: pump stack piercing found here: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=144099.msg5685178#msg5685178
If you are not satisfied with the performance of this method we will give you your money back.

One day it will be"

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2015, 01:08:28 pm »

I always hated being restricted to 2x2 stairways through the aquifer, this looks interesting.
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

MetalRocks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2015, 01:39:22 pm »

I always hated being restricted to 2x2 stairways through the aquifer, this looks interesting.
Me too, because I use 3x3 staircases for almost everything.

Note: Due to an edition problem in the tutorial (the pictures were correct, but not the design of the PDF), and somewhere where I wrote ramps instead of stairs I have replaced the original file. If anybody finds any inconsistency please let me know.

One day it will be"

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2015, 05:29:05 am »

As a minor note of curiosity, why constructed blocks over raw? I would've thought they were identical

Diamond

• Bay Watcher
  • Did someone just say "elves" ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2015, 05:48:05 am »

As a minor note of curiosity, why constructed blocks over raw? I would've thought they were identical
If you mean the walls from blocks rather than raw stone - hauling of blocks is way faster compared to stone.

k9wazere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2015, 06:05:26 am »

You aren't. You can go as large as you like with the cave-in method. Which also does not require you to bring any wood/stone apart from the resources to make a single pump.

MetalRocks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2015, 07:17:14 am »

You aren't. You can go as large as you like with the cave-in method. Which also does not require you to bring any wood/stone apart from the resources to make a single pump.
Exactly, blocks weight 6% of an stone. And you get 4 blocks from each stone. This is important because in aquifer biomes you might have only sand and no stones.

Quote from: k9wazere
I have never tried it, but the wiki says that "there is a bug that may prevent [the cave-in] method from working, collapsed layers may turn into the aquifer layer type that was dug out at that level."
« Last Edit: April 03, 2015, 07:18:52 am by MetalRocks »

One day it will be"

jellsprout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2015, 08:43:13 am »

Exactly, blocks weight 6% of an stone. And you get 4 blocks from each stone. This is important because in aquifer biomes you might have only sand and no stones.

If you need quantity, I recommend bringing bituminous coal. It is as cheap as ordinary stone, but if you smelt it you get 9 bricks of coke in return. Subtract the one brick you need to smelt the thing and you are still left with twice as much building material than if you were to cut a boulder into blocks.
"Having been equipped with tracking collars so their migration and survival in the wild can be measured, the young Sea Serpent is released into the wild.  It is hoped that this captive breeding program will boost their terribly low population numbers and eventually see them removed from the endangered species list..."

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2015, 08:54:06 am »

There limitation to cave-in, and they depend on the scenario.  Definitely my last choice when in a terrifying biome.

I haven't tried cave-in with 2 layer soil on 6 layer aquifer.  It's probably possible to drop a large enough ring.

k9wazere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2015, 09:46:42 am »

There limitation to cave-in, and they depend on the scenario.  Definitely my last choice when in a terrifying biome.

I haven't tried cave-in with 2 layer soil on 6 layer aquifer.  It's probably possible to drop a large enough ring.

Well I've been using a modified cave-in method in terrifying biomes which does not require breaching the surface. All I need is two soil layers above the aquifer, and can breach any number of levels.

[edit: 1 layer of soil above aquifer and 1 layer of anything above that, to be precise]
« Last Edit: April 03, 2015, 09:55:26 am by k9wazere »

MetalRocks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2015, 10:58:18 am »

If you need quantity, I recommend bringing bituminous coal. It is as cheap as ordinary stone, but if you smelt it you get 9 bricks of coke in return. Subtract the one brick you need to smelt the thing and you are still left with twice as much building material than if you were to cut a boulder into blocks.
Practical and efficient.

One day it will be"

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2015, 11:44:41 am »

Oh, I know. I even dug a 20x20 hole through a 3 z aquifer once (lots of pumps!), but a 3x4 that is just as easy as a double slit? That is worth it's weight in gold.
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2015, 01:07:40 pm »

I just recently had to go through an aquifer, but it was in a frozen biome. Ez Pz, so long as you are excruciatingly careful not to freeze any dwarves solid.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0
Pages: [1] 2