Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Half Life 2: Update  (Read 3659 times)

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
Half Life 2: Update
« on: March 29, 2015, 05:35:12 am »

Released on Steam on Friday, Half Life 2: Update is a stand-alone visual and bug fixing overhaul of Half Life 2, available here on Steam. You need to own HL2 to obtain it, but it does not need to actually be installed itself in order to install the mod. It has been built over the past three years by one man, Filip Victor.

Primary things that have been altered are the lighting system with HDR implemented throughout the game and vastly improved shadows and interior lighting. Distant terrain and objects are detailed rather than vague blurs and the fog effects redone. There have also been a number of bug fixes particularly to the scripting of npc actions that could sometimes fail to execute or cause a wrong animation to play. In a deliberate decision, there have been no actual texture changes in order to keep to the originals aesthetic style.

Also the community commentary includes work from the voice of Freeman, Ross Scott.

Above all though, this gives a new reason to replay a great game once again.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
Re: Half Life 2: Update
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2015, 06:59:59 am »

Huh, might actually go back to this game.
I never did like it much, and while this game doesn't change any actual gameplay segments (Damn you helicopter boat ride!) It seems like a good time to try again.
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2015, 10:44:42 am »

Oh hey, cool another update mod for Half-Life. This sounds kind of fun and interest-

helicopter boat ride!

AAAAAUGH!!! NEVER AGAIN!
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2015, 10:57:40 am »

Oh hey, cool another update mod for Half-Life. This sounds kind of fun and interest-

helicopter boat ride!

AAAAAUGH!!! NEVER AGAIN!

Although I quickly understood what you were saying, for a brief moment I thought that you were calling an airboat a "Helicopter Boat" which made me giggle.

This is cool. HL2 is probably one of my favorite games of the era, mostly due to the the storytelling and presentation - it feels more like a play-along movie than a game.

Alos, make sure you shoot down the helicopter using the turrets at the combine base. It won't reappear until the end of the level.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2015, 12:30:11 pm »

Also the community commentary includes work from the voice of Freeman, Ross Scott.

What you say?
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2015, 12:40:19 pm »

Right. I was in the process of playing this game again. It's nice that an update to it came at a convenient time.

I like having unusually good/coincidental timing again. I missed it. Additionally, I like how much more of a badass I am being in the latest playthrough of the game again, compared to the first time I played it. I even grav-gunned Ravenholm with minimal problems, and got the achievement. Radiators rock better than sawblades. More area/width to hit targets with (and easier to find commonly), more mass/weight to hit them with, and easier to find after launching them. They're like the shotguns of throwable objects; sawblades are more like sniper rifles of throwable objects. Deadly, can hit at a distance, and headshots are most effective; but lord help you if you miss and have to find the bullet.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 12:45:28 pm by Itnetlolor »

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2015, 12:56:54 pm »

Apparently I'm one of the few people that actually enjoyed the challenge of the helicopter sequence?
Sure it was frustrating at times, like when the chopper would basically snipe you between the pipe sections, but it was probably one  of the best action sequences involving a vehicle. IMO anyway.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2015, 01:02:36 pm »

It was obnoxious, but fun. I managed to take advantage of the differing physics of the boat and helicopter, and shot the bird out of the sky in record time with minimal to no cover. When being chased, sometimes, it's wise to slam on the brakes. When they overshoot you, you have a clear shot. The boat has the advantage of friction.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2015, 01:05:22 pm »

Apparently I'm one of the few people that actually enjoyed the challenge of the helicopter sequence?
Sure it was frustrating at times, like when the chopper would basically snipe you between the pipe sections, but it was probably one  of the best action sequences involving a vehicle. IMO anyway.

I loved it! It was one of the best done vehicle chases in a game I've played, and I usually HATE them. Normally they feel too scripted (see Resident Evils) or they have you doing ridiculous stuff, whereas that's just a flat out chase.

I'm thinking of doing it again, but I might coop it - does anyone know if the coop mods are any good?
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2015, 02:49:40 pm »

The boat ride? Hm, dunno, I do think I remember being quite ok with it. Maybe there were some parts that annoyed me, but not so much? Or was it the final fight with ther heli that pissed me off a little? Eh, I must confess HL2 isn't amongst my top 10 games and I do like shooters. Never a big fan of HL1 too, probably the only of the series I enjoyed close to from the start to the end was HL2:E2. I mean, not mediocre or even bad games by any stretch of imagination, they are ok and all that but I feel no need to repla--

What you say?
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2015, 03:28:47 pm »

My only problem with the airboat was the mushy controls. If I'd had a little more time to practice first it wouldn't have been a problem, but I could just barely get the hang of it before the chopper showed up and ended missing lots of the stunts just enough to slam into a wall and have to back up and try again. Of course, by the time I got the hang of it the sequence was over and never appeared in the game again. So lol.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2015, 03:30:22 pm »

The boat sequence was easy, the area that always got me was the room with explosive barrels and manhacks. Specially on hard.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2015, 07:08:41 pm »

In a deliberate decision, there have been no actual texture changes in order to keep to the originals aesthetic style.
Oh thank god.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2015, 02:27:11 am »

The boat ride? Hm, dunno, I do think I remember being quite ok with it. Maybe there were some parts that annoyed me, but not so much? Or was it the final fight with ther heli that pissed me off a little? Eh, I must confess HL2 isn't amongst my top 10 games and I do like shooters. Never a big fan of HL1 too, probably the only of the series I enjoyed close to from the start to the end was HL2:E2. I mean, not mediocre or even bad games by any stretch of imagination, they are ok and all that but I feel no need to repla--

What you say?
IT SOUNDS LIKE A STRIPCLUB IN HERE

Emma

• Bay Watcher
  • Romace plots aren't actually that bad
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2015, 03:10:52 am »

Well I'm playing it for the first time now so I might get this as I'm enjoying it so far.
Pages: [1] 2