Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Creative Moat Ideas?  (Read 4133 times)

Ifeno

• Bay Watcher
  • UristMcSoldier is an enemy of the Twinkling Incest
    • View Profile
Creative Moat Ideas?
« on: March 28, 2015, 03:06:23 am »

So I've dug a 9 z-level deep moat, and much to my dismay have found the fall damage to be non-lethal.  In other words, I'll need to add something to the moat to make it so.  The idea is that whatever falls in the moat, friend or foe, is dead.  The easiest way to ensure this would be to fill it with magma, however I like looking at the blood and carnage inside my moat.  Next option would be Water, but that seems a little bland.  I want things dying on impact, not drowning.  My next thought was upright spikes but I was unsure if those would need cleaning, and if it was necessary to have 10 in each slot.  The idea is that there will be no entrance or exit to the moat.  Once it's set up, I'm removing the stairs and anyone that falls in it stays in it.  Preferably in a non-living state.  If anyone has advice / thoughts on a spike pit or other ideas of how to ensure falling into the moat will be lethal, please let me know!
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 03:11:06 am by Ifeno »
ive gotten in the habit of replacing my chief medical dwarf as soon as he gains any notable skill in diagnosis.
It's really funny watching them do unnecessary surgery because of a wrong diagnosis.
the conditions were bad enough to turn a dwarf who didn't care about anything mad, that's pretty hardcore.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
Re: What to fill my moat with?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2015, 03:08:15 am »

Magma is always good. Other options include upright spikes or weapon traps.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Lovechild

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Creative Moat Ideas?
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2015, 04:01:45 am »

Upright spikes/spears don't require cleaning. You can have between 1 and 10 in each slot, depending on your budget.
All Races Playable Mod - Minimal mod to play as any race in DF - For 0.50.01

Uggh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2015, 05:39:52 am »

Mabe something based on minecarts entering the moat by falling and then running over everything. The minecarts would be one use only and would add to the general untidy look you are going for. You could even load them with more refuse, e.g. from the butcher, before throwing them into the moat.

Edit: not  necessarily immediately lethal but close.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 05:41:27 am by Uggh »

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2015, 05:59:21 am »

If you make the floor out of something abnormally dense like cinnabar or platinum, gravity is much more likely to be lethal; since the game calculates fall-damage by hitting the creature with a "hammer" made of the landing material. Similarly, you can make a lethal fall relatively harmless by flooring it with something like featherwood or candy.
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

kirmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2015, 10:04:05 am »

stupid question: why not dig it deeper?
Also, you can use the moat as a garbage chute dump zone- falling objects hit hard, and skeletons 9-z down are unlikely to be raised or if raised to be a problem.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2015, 12:44:01 pm »

I can't find the thread, but my very first project dropped live saltwater crocodiles onto injured fallers.

What I'm saying is, fill it with crocodiles and in between 3-4z of water.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

BoredVirulence

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2015, 03:05:55 pm »

Seriously? Zombies. Throw a necromancer behind a fortification, remove the stairs, drop some corpses. Smooth those walls first.

You want carnage, that's what you do. You could even put retracting bridges down there, deepen the pit, and "retire" some of the zombies when there are too many. When there are too few, dump more corpses.

Although, I imagine invaders falling onto zombies ought to pulp them, and at some point it becomes reaches equilibrium. Although, that's probably too many zombies for FPS...

The Bard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2015, 04:07:52 pm »

War cavies.

The 9z will stun the faller and then they will be ripped to shreds by guinea pigs.

Ifeno

• Bay Watcher
  • UristMcSoldier is an enemy of the Twinkling Incest
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2015, 05:31:41 pm »

stupid question: why not dig it deeper?

Due to poor fortress design.  i didn't expect things to survive a 9 z-level fall, thinking back to times when a 2 z-level fall could be fatal, so I dug it 9 z-levels and then but my stockpile room right underneath it.
ive gotten in the habit of replacing my chief medical dwarf as soon as he gains any notable skill in diagnosis.
It's really funny watching them do unnecessary surgery because of a wrong diagnosis.
the conditions were bad enough to turn a dwarf who didn't care about anything mad, that's pretty hardcore.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2015, 06:21:57 pm »

Ok, so what you do is you get some crocodiles, some goblins, and a necromancer.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2015, 07:38:59 pm »

Necromancer + corpses is guaranteed death by attrition to all that can be killed by combat. Though I am personally partial to filling moats with spikes, a hilariously expensive and gibtastic method of moat men disposal.

Skullsploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2015, 06:12:59 am »

You could channel out the bottom and then place retracting platinum bridges instead of the floor. Then you can open the bridges after a siege and everything will conveniently fall right into your stockpile room! Also marksdwarves. Give them a training room two z above the bottom of the moat with fortifications looking out and they should automatically finish off whatever survives the ludicrous density of platinum.
"is it harmful for my dwarves ? I bet it is"
Always a safe default assumption in this game 

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
  • Souls are tasty. Kinda like bacon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2015, 09:26:09 am »

Put a roller-powered minecart loop in it. Make lots of platinum minecarts. Fill the minecarts with more minecarts or anvils if you really want to be able to dump everything in there. Result: insta-kill and lots of gore.
And yet another bit of proof that RNG is toying with us. We do 1984, it does animal farm
...why do your hydras have two more heads than mine? 
Does that mean male hydras... oh god dammit.

StupidElves

• Bay Watcher
  • I coveted that wind, I suppose.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2015, 09:56:55 am »

Find a way to fill it with something that eats things and can only be in water. They'll be in the water, and the monsters will kill them horrifically, leaving blood and body parts.
Accidentally made over 5000 copper maces once. I have no idea how that happened.

GENERATION 29:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Pages: [1] 2 3