Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Autopilot?  (Read 1665 times)

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
Autopilot?
« on: March 26, 2015, 09:09:22 pm »

At some point I'd like the game to run on its own as long as possible, without any manual input. Is that possible?

What I have already done:

1) I can use dfhack nopause.
2) I have enough farm plots to produce fibers and food.
3) I have all kinds of workershops.
4) I have enough workers and a manager.
5) I have sealed the fort so liaisons and caravans can't bother me.

Problems:

1) Clothes may wear out in time. I can recruit them all and use uniforms, but maybe there's a better solution.
2) Nobles may mandate things.
3) Strange moods.
4) Need to find a way to produce enough drink and food, without overflowing the stockpiles.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

ibanix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Autopilot?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2015, 09:31:12 pm »

At some point I'd like the game to run on its own as long as possible, without any manual input. Is that possible?

What I have already done:

1) I can use dfhack nopause.
2) I have enough farm plots to produce fibers and food.
3) I have all kinds of workershops.
4) I have enough workers and a manager.
5) I have sealed the fort so liaisons and caravans can't bother me.

Problems:

1) Clothes may wear out in time. I can recruit them all and use uniforms, but maybe there's a better solution.
2) Nobles may mandate things.
3) Strange moods.
4) Need to find a way to produce enough drink and food, without overflowing the stockpiles.

#1 - dfhack's 'workflow' along with orders to keep a certain # of each clothing type. Use along with pig tail farming and similar workflow orders to process plants and weave clothing.

#2 - So? Let them deal. Keep them happy enough and it won't matter.

#3 - The worst that can happen is they go insane and maybe kill another dwarf. Give all your civie dwarves arms and armor.

#4 - Again, workflow. Workflow is god.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2015, 09:43:18 pm »

OK, I think #3 is luck based. In an old enough fort strange moods are rarer to see. So maybe I can ignore it.

So workflow? I'll check it. I never use it because I'm too used to the manager screen.

Now maybe I still need to find a way to get rid of those xsocksx.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

ibanix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2015, 09:50:53 pm »

Now maybe I still need to find a way to get rid of those xsocksx.

Use dfhack 'repeat -time 1 month -command cleanowned x' in your dfhack.init file. This will mark all x-level clothing for autodumping every month.

Then set a garbage stockpile somewhere out of the way, like over a hatch into magma, which opens by a pressure plate your dwarves walk over, on their way to/back from said hatch.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2015, 09:54:59 pm »

Thanks.
I think "'repeat" command is exactly what I need. Maybe it can also satisfy some noble mandates if they always want the same things.

ibanix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2015, 10:00:38 pm »

Thanks.
I think "'repeat" command is exactly what I need. Maybe it can also satisfy some noble mandates if they always want the same things.

That's not a bad idea. Workflow will only reach up to a particular limit, and then stop, which isn't helpful for periodic demands.

It can be kind of hillarious tho. I have over 1900 prepared meals right now. They make great trade items.

Uggh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2015, 03:56:48 am »

ad 2)
If you select only nobles who don't have item preferences you wont get mandates. A bit tricky with mayor who gets elected from time to time.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2015, 06:12:15 am »

Strange moods depends on number of artefact limit, which depends on tiles mined (actually revealed) and number of items in storage. If you don't mine then after a while you don't have strange moods. I've noticed that if I want to have a strange mood, I have to mine some more tiles. And then I have the mood in a month to two. Otherwise I could wait a year and no mood happens.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2015, 07:44:56 am »

Strange moods depends on number of artefact limit, which depends on tiles mined (actually revealed) and number of items in storage. If you don't mine then after a while you don't have strange moods. I've noticed that if I want to have a strange mood, I have to mine some more tiles. And then I have the mood in a month to two. Otherwise I could wait a year and no mood happens.

Oh I didn't know that.
That explains why some of my above ground forts rarely had artifacts...