Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: (TSG) Sheriff Meetings... All the Meetings  (Read 9907 times)

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
Re: (TSG) Sheriff Nasty
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2015, 01:50:36 am »

Sorry I meant frequency of updates. Sorry  :-[

Can't commit to anything right now...

---

With little in the way of resources or leads, the first ever meeting of the Sheriff's office is quickly adjourned. Lyndra is given her 2000 Chips and permission to set up her spy ring. Violet is told that you will keep her desire for a lab in mind while shopping around for a new place, but that you don't intend to run the department out of your house long enough to consider further developing your land land for official use. You then send your deputies away.

Producing a pen and paper, you next write a quick letter requesting a meeting with MPs Tridap-Point and Carlo Estaban: You good friend and the single human in parliament respectively. You give the note to your guard Fingers, and instruct the goblin to see the the meeting is arranged. The next letter you write is to Valiance Clay, the leader of the farmer's guild, and it is to ensure that he is at the meeting as well; When you finish writing, you send for your brother-in-law Fandango to deliver the second note.

---

You catch Celia in the main hall, chewing out the twins. It seems as though they have busted Skyler Swain out of her locked chamber again, and that Little Seal was trying to give the young prisoner a lesson on explosive chemistry. You allow your wife to go about her work, contributing a stern look or word as needed, and when she at last sends the kids away you have a word with her.

"Listen. I saw you at the door. You don't need to worry. I wouldn't fool around with the deputies, I love you and the kids too much."

You and your wife exchange a quick but passionate kiss before she answers you. "I wasn't worried about that silly! I was hoping you'd be discussing salaries. We only have enough money to last for a few more months, and I have heard you speak nothing of how much people are getting paid to do this."

Frowning slightly, you shrug your shoulders. "The queen left that matter up to parliament. I just sent the boys out to round up some MPs so we can discuss just that, among other things."

Celia answers with a laugh and worried smile. "Okay. Okay. Can we at least sell that Chariot though? It is not like you are ever going to use it. All its doing is eating up space, and it looks like you could get a pretty penny for all the gold trim on it."

This again? It seems like you have this damn discussion with Celia over every nice gift Tat-Pallik gives you. "I can't get rid of it dear! Its a gift from the queen! Getting rid of it would be a major breach of protocal! Besides, who would want to buy a Chariot around here? The terrain is too rocky for it to be of much military utility, and for simple travel one is better off in a coach. If you don't like it, I can keep it at the office... when I get one."

"You'd better get it out of sight soon. Junior wants to learn to drive the damn thing, and I will not have him learning military skills that he can go and get himself hurt with!"

Oh. Junior. That explains alot. "I just told you, it is of no military use around here! If he learned to drive he'd just stay on the roads, it would be a harmless outlet for... you know what, nevermind." This was not worth starting a fight over.

After a few seconds of dead silence, her hands at your waist signal Celia's acceptance of your dropping the topic, and you are lead off to your chambers.

---

You sit in your study alone, and ponder how you might get your hands on officers to man the streets. Able bodied men, and even women, with combat experience are in short supply following recent events, and you are not well enough traveled in the right circles to find whatever human veterans and fighters that do live in the area. Terry Swain, the imprisoned human noble set to marry your daughter someday, had just earned the title of Knight before the city fell. Between his title and family name, he could might be able to find some human locals to meet your needs - if he can be trusted.

Most of the Orcish and Race Traitor soldiers are stationed at Fort Summit, a half day uphill from Sky's Gate, and it is possible that with parliament's approval you could secure yourself a few of their number; It is unlikely that Sky's Gate will come under attack without plenty of advanced warning. The humans would have to recapture Bronzetown and Queenstown before attempting any action against Sky's Gate, lest they find themselves fighting off attackers from both sides.

Although you find them undesirable for public image reasons, Ogre Goons from the Renders might be the quickest and cheapest men to acquire. They are numerous and have few present responsibilities aside from staving off boredom. Not every member of the Renders hate you as much as their leader does, they ARE in all likelihood your kinsmen; Although your mother was always reluctant to speak of your father, Sheepteeth tells you that he lived hard, fought hard, died relatively young, and left you a good number of half siblings, some of whom now live in town. You are sure, at the very least, that it would feel good to rip loyal soldiers away from that cannibal bastard Cat-Mash.

The Orcish Slavers Guild prides itself on producing slaves well raised or broken enough that one can trust them with arms. MP Irrik-Kinglor may be able to set you up with some truly exotic street officers...

Lastly, you are aware that many local citizens of importance have taken to hiring Elfish Mercenaries from the nearby forest retreats to serve as guards and muscle. You don't exactly know how to go about finding such sell-swords, but are positive that by asking around in the cities Elfish cooridor or talking to friends who hire such creatures themselves you can figure it out. Outside mercenaries, you figure, come with the advantage of holding no loyalty to any particular faction in town.

You spot movement from the corner of your eye; Through the window, your friend Tridap-Point's Coach can be seen pulling up to your house. The meeting will be upon you soon. You planned on talking about funding and a new HQ for your department with the two MPs in attendance, before introducing them to your buddy Valiance to discuss the town's food situation. Now would be a good time to consider what other items you might bring up during the discussions...

Mathias 'The Enforcer' Lorenz Blood-spiller:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The Sheriff's Office of Sky's Gate:

(Added a new faction that I missed, and HA, got a second post up with 10 minutes left to spare in the day!)

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: (TSG) Sheriff Tender?
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2015, 04:10:10 am »

Actually, it was more like 6 hours and 10 minutes but still pretty good.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2015, 06:34:47 am »

On the goon/mook problem:

I don't think having Race Traitor policemen would help our relations with underground freedom fighters and the general human populace at all. Orcish soldiers might not be as resented, though I wouldn't pick these guys as our first choice. (They're garrisoning our walls too.)

Ogre Goons would have the same, if not greater, problem as Race Traitors, except by wrenching Render mooks away from Cat-Mash is always a good thing. If we're really in need of manpower, we can have Sheepteeth find our half-siblings.

Slaves would be nice. They'd have no political affiliations, and apparently they're like Unsullied soldiers, so they'd probably the most loyal. I'd like to ask the GM about what human and orc (and ogre, etc.) society thinks of slavery.

Elfish mercs have no political affiliations as well, though I suspect they'd be the most obvious turncloaks. The only thing they follow is gold (or steel, in this case) and if Cat-Mash or the Freedom-Fighters were to buy them off, we'd be left surrounded by traitors.

I'm leaning towards the slave fighters (waiting on the GM's info on the political views of slavery in this world).

Now on to the meeting:

As well as the things we already planned on discussing, we need to take a look on the old human laws and new laws passed by the Queen and Parliament. We need to know our abilities and restrictions, and we should see if we can amend any law that seems to favor one side too much. Ask Tridap-Point to keep a close eye on Render activity for us, particularly their political maneuverings.
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?
Dying of pure unbridled hatred, actually.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2015, 07:05:54 am »

Ask about our salary and the food supply concerns.

The problem with slaves is that they're expensive. Race Traitors, Orcs, and Ogres will have to do for now, but let's screen the Ogres first to make sure they won't just kill any lawbreakers or whatever.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

3man75

• Bay Watcher
  • I will fire this rocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2015, 08:58:39 am »

Once seated I think we should begin with a good old mafia approach.

"It is very nice to see you all here and I thank you in advance for opening up the opportunity for meaningful discussion. As we all know her Highness has instilled in my the position of sheriff and I'm in charge of keeping the law enforced. I have taken a few steps toward this goal already but I would like to discuss assuring future funding from the Parliament.

We face a new threat in the Vampires and undead of the city who feel that the recent chaos allows them to feed without worry. On top of that Marrow-Mash's son can wake up grumpy tomorrow and overthrow parliament. I am sorry to inform you both but the Queen's power is the only thing that keeps him in check and she can die any day due to an accident or fighting in the wars going on.

Understand that I need constant funding for wages and to hire loyal street muscle. Currently, even myself and my deputies have no  wages even which simply will not do if you expect us to survive without eating. One last thing, a man known as Valience Clay the leader of the Farmers guild who stayed with me during the Marrow-Mash purge has come to me seeking help in gaining audience with us. He says that he has good information on the food supply and we all know that people tend to be aggressive when they start starving. Would you please be willing to listen to him?"

Discuss wages for our self and deputies as well as how much the Parliament is willing to fund us. The more we point out the threats and our reputation for going above and beyond for people the more likely they are to agree to help us get more funding and possibly some soldiers from Fort Summit.

Also ask them what are some critical areas in the city that they would like to see patrolled. Only however if it seems impossible to get them to say yes on anything else. Critical areas that generate tax or help people feel safe are always important.

EDIT: Basically wages for ourselves and deputies, money to hire enforcers (or as I'd like to call them Commissars), and get them to hear out our Farmer friend.

Also the thing about laws is worth mentioning also.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 12:15:42 pm by 3man75 »

Ardent Debater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2015, 09:31:25 am »

Once seated I think we should begin with a good old mafia approach.

"It is very nice to see you all here and I thank you in advance for opening up the opportunity for meaningful discussion. As we all know her Highness has instilled in my the position of sheriff and I'm in charge of keeping the law enforced. I have taken a few steps toward this goal already but I would like to discuss assuring future funding from the Parliament.

We face a new threat in the Vampires and undead of the city who feel that the recent chaos allows them to feed without worry. On top of that Marrow-Mash's son can wake up grumpy tomorrow and overthrow parliament. I am sorry to inform you both but the Queen's power is the only thing that keeps him in check and she can die any day due to an accident or fighting in the wars going on.

Understand that I need constant funding for wages and to hire loyal street muscle. Currently, even myself and my deputies have no  wages even which simply will not do if you expect us to survive without eating. One last thing, a man known as Valience Clay the leader of the Farmers guild who stayed with me during the Marrow-Mash purge has come to me seeking help in gaining audience with us. He says that he has good information on the food supply and we all know that people tend to be aggressive when they start starving. Would you please be willing to listen to him?"

Discuss wages for our self and deputies as well as how much the Parliament is willing to fund us. The more we point out the threats and our reputation for going above and beyond for people the more likely they are to agree to help us get more funding and possibly some soldiers from Fort Summit.

Also ask them what are some critical areas in the city that they would like to see patrolled. Only however if it seems impossible to get them to say yes on anything else. Critical areas that generate tax or help people feel safe are always important.

+1

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2015, 04:45:45 pm »

Slaves would be nice. They'd have no political affiliations, and apparently they're like Unsullied soldiers, so they'd probably the most loyal. I'd like to ask the GM about what human and orc (and ogre, etc.) society thinks of slavery.

I'm leaning towards the slave fighters (waiting on the GM's info on the political views of slavery in this world).

Humans in general like to think themselves above slavery. Occasionally somebody sells themselves into indentured servitude for a few years to settle a debt, and criminals are sometimes sentenced to a similar fate when there is a shortage in the workforce, but in general they view the large-scale type of slaving operation that the Orcs involve themselves in as barbaric. That is not to say, however, that human leaders wont contract with the Orcish Slavers Guild to deal with particulary large scale or dangerous jobs, such as constructing a dam or elaborate tomb.

Orcs, on the other hand, are skilled at the art of dominating others. The Slavers Guild is one of the richest and most influential groups in greenskin society. Most slaves belong to the subterranian races, and are bred and raised in huge underground camps; Those that prove themselves loyal and skilled are sold as elite soldiers or craftsmen at a high price, while the others are rented in bulk for dangerous construction projects and to serve as front-lines cannonfodder. In recent years the rise of the Naga Empire to the south has created a huge demand for the guild's services, and it is said that this slave boom in large part has funded the military campaigns of Tat-Pallik.

The guild has a huge amount of influence over the Orcish Crown, and as such have manipulated the laws relating to slave ownership to give themselves a near monopoly over the industry in Orcish Territories; Nobody may be born a slave outside of the sanctioned guild camps (luckily for you), and the violent mistreatment of slaves by anybody other than a sanctioned guild slave-breaker is punishable by 50 lashes and a 500 Steel Chip fine.

Recently, however, the alliance between the Orcs and Ogres has introduced a new sort of slave to the equation. When most Ogre Tribes take prisoners, said prisoners are generally exploited in unspeakable ways for several months before they are cooked and eaten, and this behavior is often cruel enough to move even an Orc to Pity; Oftentimes an Orcish dignitary visiting an Ogre Camp will buy all the prisoners present, put anybody suffering too greatly out of their misery, and put the rest to work as domestic servants. This is how your mother came to live at the royal castle.

---

"Mathias Blood-spiller! Good to see you again brother!" Tridap-Point storms into your study, and when you rise to greet him, he embraces you in a bear hug!

"How the heck have you been? How is the family?"

"Oh, we are doing okay. You wont believe what my daughter has been getting into..." You draw an easy laugh by recounting some of Little Seal's adventures in bomb making, before getting down with some pre-meeting busniess.

"So, what the heck is going on in parliament?"

"Not much," your friend admits, "I don't think we are going to meet again for a few days. Most of us are off drafting our own legislation." Good ol' Tridap-Point then proceeds to fill you in on the juicy details that he knows you want.

Quote from: Notes on Parliament
1. Cat-Mash has instructed all four Ogre MPs to vote against any legislation that might provide funding or resources to the Sheriff's office.
2. Irrik-Kinglor is spending significant amounts of time at the Render's Mead Hall, working with the Ogre MPs on a draft of a bill that they will solve the food crisis
3. Trik-Trik is working on a bill to make the possession of Old Regime Currency punishable by death. He intends to approach you soon with an offer: A large sum of money directly from the mint in exchange for the Sheriff's office serving as his personal currency enforcers.
4. MP Carlo Estaban wants to be royalty. If you are willing to part with your son's right to marry Skyler Swain, the young princess could be a hell of a bargaining chip to hold over him. He might become your enemy and try to get the Swains off your hands through other means if you don't head him off with an offer or threat first.
5. Tridap-Point and Ogre MP Spew-Spiller are conspiring against Cat-Masher. Spew-Spiller claims to be your first cousin, and is intrested in meeting with you if said meeting can be arranged without Cat-Mash's knowing. No specific plans regarding this scheme have been formulated yet, but Tridap-Point promises to keep you updated.

You find yourself so busy listening to Tridap-Point's rumors and schemes that you fail to notice Carlo's carriage pull up. You are made aware of his arrival when Fandango anounces his presence and leads him into the study, cutting off the private discussion between you and your friend. Carlo Estaban is a short and well built man, wearing a suit, cape, and saber. He offers you a slight bow and respectful handshake when you return the gesture.

You know only the public myth, persona, and rumors of this man; He was a Champion Matador in his youth, well before you arrived in the city, but fell out of favor with the Swain Dynasty and was imprisoned for six years and banished from the city upon his release. No official explanation for his mistreatment was ever given, but the prevailing rumor told that he was caught in a scandalous affair with the King's older brother Jamal. He swore an oath to unseat the Swains, and when it became clear that she intended to invade Sky's Gate, Carlo Estaban joined the army of Tat-Pallik and quickly rose through the ranks. Of all the Race-Traitors presently in town, he is perhaps the least hated; People were sympathetic to his plight before the war, and understood his motives for working with the Orcs.

The group makes a bit of small talk while you wait for Celia to bring the tapas, and after the assembled dignataries finish their rice-rolls and white wine, you get down to business.

"As we all know her Highness has instilled in my the position of sheriff and I'm in charge of keeping the law enforced. I have taken a few steps toward this goal already but I would like to discuss assuring future funding from the Parliament.

Understand that I need constant funding for wages and to hire loyal street muscle. Currently, even myself and my deputies have no wages even which simply will not do if you expect us to survive without eating."

Tridap-Point can help but beam as you deliver a speech as he might. He has clearly taught you well. It is Carlo, however, who speaks first. "Your points are all valid, Don Mathias, and I am and always will be committed to the safety of Sky's Gate, but I feel uncomfortable pledging my support for any action until I see the specific legislation. I also have to be careful regarding the Ogres, as you mentioned they are dangerous, and furthermore, I know they do not like you. I would much rather you get the unanimous support of the Orcish Party in passing your funding, so that I may vote against it or abstain and avoid drawing Cat-Mash's wrath."

The human leans back in his chair, and offers an apologetic smile. "If you find that you cannot get this bill passed without my help, however, I will be glad to work with you and find an arangement that would allow me to vote 'aye'."

Tridap-Point shoots his human colleague a dirty look before speaking. "I'll gladly draft legislation to see your office funded myself, friend, or perhaps I can get Vandul-Tat-Pallik or Trik-Trik to do it instead. They are more knowledgeable on matters of security and finance respectively. In the meantime, I'm sure your Orcish friends in Parliment would be glad to throw a few chips from their own pockets in your direction to hold things over until proper funding is secured; My race is courageous, and not afraid of hurting some dumb Render Chief's feelings."

You sigh. With guaranteed Ogre no votes, Trik-Trik likely preferring to buy you off rather than pass a proper funding bill, and Carlo looking for compensation in exchange for his vote, getting the six 'ayes' you need is likely to be a complicated affair. You decide to change the topic, and introduce Mr. Clay to the assembled dignitaries. After explaining who he is, you invite the man into the room, and ask him to speak his piece.

"I will be completely honest," Valiance begins, bravely staring down the politicians of the occupation before him, "the farmer's guild has enough food stored away to keep people fed for four months, six if we start rationing. Given the damage caused to the fields and equipment by siege and war, and the approach of winter, the earliest we can produce any significant amount of crop is ten months from now. No amount of beating or threatening the farmers will cause them to work miracles here. We have two options: Import or starve. At the absolute least we need grain to feed the town for four months, but an ideal import deal would include twice that amount, as well as seed, plows, and beasts of burden to help the farmers establish themselves. Do you have any questions, good sirs?"

The pair of MPs seem impressed by your friend's cajones, honesty, and outspokenness, and after asking a few detailed questions shake his hand and send him on his way.

"I should pass this report along to the Ogres, and Don Irrik-Kinglor," Carlo muses, "They are working on some sort of food bill as we speak." A look concern spreads across Tridap-Point's face at the idea of telling this to the Ogres, but he doesn't express it out loud. The meeting wraps up swiftly from there. Carlo departs first, leaving Tridap-Point to offer a few closing remarks.

"I like that human friend of yours, brother. He has the chops. If you can get him to publicly declare loyalty to the queen, I might be able to get him a seat in parliament at some point down the road. Food for thought, eh?" He gives you another hug, and you walk your friend to his coach. "Keep in touch," he instructs you as he climbs into his seat, "Think it over. Let me know if you intend to take up Trik-Trik's offer, or if you want me to try and get a clean funding bill through Parliament instead."

---

Lyndra sits across the desk from you, with a sly smile on her face. "Well, it will be another week or so before I'm done with the set-up work, but I've got enough of a spy ring in place to begin opperations. Just let me know who or what you want us to be keeping an eye on, boss."

« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 05:36:51 pm by Weirdsound »

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: (TSG) Sheriff Intrigue
« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2015, 05:10:26 pm »

I have stuff to do and I haven't read the entire update (finished after reading the quote), but as for what we should do with the currency guy, tell him that executing anyone with the old currency is a bad idea since so many people have it - including us. Instead, set up a deadline (maybe a week) that people can exchange their old currency for new currency. After the deadline, have the government confiscate all old currency - without reimbursing them - or make the theft of the old currency legal. If he goes with the former option, he can sell the currency either to mints or to foreign organisations, if only for the base value of the metal.

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Crying on the floor due to losing my entire hoard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 27, 2015, 05:36:33 pm »

The Renders in general and Cat-Mash specifically. They currently pose the largest and most open political threat. We'll need to up our 1337 spiez skillz if we want to root out vampires.

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 27, 2015, 06:02:05 pm »

I fear that when food gets scarce we're going to see ogres start eating humans. Acquiring enough food will prove essential to ensuring stability.

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 27, 2015, 08:11:18 pm »

We should meet Trik-trik and discuss terms for enforcing his new steel chips. There should be a changing period ranging from a few months. The punishment shouldn't be death for first-time offenders, but repeated offenders and people who deliberately sabotage the currency will either be flogged or executed (depends on the situation).

Send Lyndra's spy-ring to spy on the Renders, Cat-Mash and especially Irrik-Kinglor and this new bill they're trying to set up. We need to know what the bill entails. There might be something other than solving the food crisis behind Irrik's actions.

As for Carlos, we need him to like us. We should call a family meeting and talk with Celia and Junior about cancelling the marriage between him and Skyler. In exchange, we'll ask the Queen to establish Junior in a NON-FRONTLINE role in the army (emphasize non-frontline to our wife), maybe as a high-ranking officer. Of course, he'll need to be taught proper military tactics and etiquette, but that can be arranged until after we reach an agreement between our son, our wife and Carlos.

I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 27, 2015, 08:34:30 pm »

We should meet Trik-trik and discuss terms for enforcing his new steel chips. There should be a changing period ranging from a few months. The punishment shouldn't be death for first-time offenders, but repeated offenders and people who deliberately sabotage the currency will either be flogged or executed (depends on the situation).
Flogging or death just for having currency is too extreme. The government should have the right to confiscate the currency if they don't trade it in but no more. Deliberate saboteurs should definitely be flogged/executed, though.

Send Lyndra's spy-ring to spy on the Renders, Cat-Mash and especially Irrik-Kinglor and this new bill they're trying to set up. We need to know what the bill entails. There might be something other than solving the food crisis behind Irrik's actions.
+1

As for Carlos, we need him to like us. We should call a family meeting and talk with Celia and Junior about cancelling the marriage between him and Skyler. In exchange, we'll ask the Queen to establish Junior in a NON-FRONTLINE role in the army (emphasize non-frontline to our wife), maybe as a high-ranking officer. Of course, he'll need to be taught proper military tactics and etiquette, but that can be arranged until after we reach an agreement between our son, our wife and Carlos.
-1. Carlos is a dick who hasn't done a single thing to help us in the time we've been sheriff and even if we do set him up he might stop helping us later on once it becomes convenient for him. If we're going to use our royalty on someone else, let's wait for someone better to use them on.

Sell one of the monitors.

I have a plan for getting the Ogres to support us getting a salary. First of all, we cleanly ask for a salary. They'll refuse, of course, but that's when we start non-secretly start moving the farmer into parliament. The clear and implied (but not explicit) message would be "I'm getting another human into parliament because you're not giving me a salary." Once they give us a salary, we'll secretly help Tridap-Point get the farmer into parliament anyway.

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 27, 2015, 08:55:49 pm »

True, but I was more worried about Carlo becoming our enemy than making him our friend. You're right, we should hold off on making Carlo royalty until later.
Dying of laughter?

3man75

• Bay Watcher
  • I will fire this rocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 28, 2015, 01:29:04 am »

True, but I was more worried about Carlo becoming our enemy than making him our friend. You're right, we should hold off on making Carlo royalty until later.

+1 I'll write more in the morning.

1. Carlos is looking to bully us into giving him his pre-pubescant wife. I say no and +1 to making the farmer a new human MP. The spies should find something that can be used against Cat-Mash to continue his bill. Either blackmail him or let loose private information to cause turmoil in his life. Either way he'll stop or he'll be too busy dealing with the fall out from some kind of skeleton in his closet being shown to the world.

2. We need to get these salaries. We should in the meantime hire 5 loyal slaves from the guild because by god queen we need a police force now. Besides their a sub-terriarian race so they shouldn't be pittied by the humans.

3. We'll need to have a meeting with Valience. Explain to him that we would like him to meet with some merchants in the city and find which ones he can trust to buy grain for the city. He should know this isn't the parliament saying yes but its us doing something about the crisis like we did last time. They can be from any race so long as there willing to pledge to buy the grain and not steal from the Government. The penalty for breaking the trust is death itself. Also ask Henry Orange the de facto leader of the humans to meet with us and Valience to talk about the food crisis. Showing him we care about the city and the food crisis will get him to trust us a little more. Which makes the humans easier to handle.

4. Isn't there an old MP who was a General at one point? Can't we do a CK 2 thing and give our son to him to take care of train to be a General also for the Queen? Granted, he'll need a bodyguard because if he's away from us cat-mash or another entity could try to use this against us.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 12:36:35 pm by 3man75 »

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 29, 2015, 02:21:21 pm »

"Get me Intel on Cat-Mash and his goons," you answer with little hesitation, "he is already a known cannibal, so it may be hard to dig something up that he is actually ashamed of, but we need to at least keep an eye on his movements."

"A wise choice indeed." admits Lyndra. She brings up a few more minor points of business before heading on her way.

Your study is quiet again, and you return to your old habit of writing letters. Again one of your notes finds itself addressed to Valiance Clay. In the letter, you state that you are pondering taking the food crisis matter into your own hands if Parliament does not act soon, and would like Valiance to look into trustworthy merchants that might be hired to go fetch the grain and not run off with your money. You also instruct him to arrange a meeting with both yourself and Henry Orange once he has some names for you to consider. The second note is to the Sergeant-at-Arms of the parliament, politely informing him as per protocol that tomorrow you intend to visit the old Swain Palace where parliament is now housed, and pay personal visits to several MPs in their respective offices.

You pass the letters off to Fingers for delivery, before calling for Pigspine and Fandango to ready your coach; There is some traveling to be done.

---

The coach ride is almost awkwardly quiet. Usually your driver/brother-in-law Fandango and your favorite bodyguard Pigspine trade brutal barbs insults for the duration of whatever trip you are taking, but on this particular occasion you have warned them ahead of time to be on their best behavior as you have brought your son Mathias Junior along. The boy had expressed an interest in checking out the Slaver's Guild Outpost with you, and you had been meaning to talk with him for awhile anyway.

"I've been thinking about this military thing of yours, son." You begin, breaking the silence about five minutes into your trip.

"I know... I know... I shouldn't do it. Its dangerous. It could get me killed. Well let me tell you something dad, unlike you, I wouldn't mind giving my life in the service of queen Ta-"

"Woah there kid. Your mother isn't around. You don't have to get defensive. Between you and me I don't think the military is a terrible idea for you. We just have to be smart about getting you in so your mother doesn't freak out."

Junior blinks, and falls silent for a few seconds in shock. "How do we get me in without mommy killing us both?"

"There is an Orc in parliment by the name of Vandul. He isn't one of my best friends like Uncle Tridap-Point, but we have some good history together. He used to be a Consort to the Queen and a mighty general to boot. If I could get both him and your mother to agree, he could give you the training and connections you need to get into the Orcish Army in a leadership or logistical role."

"But I want to fi-"

"...And once you leave town to go wherever the Queen Sends you, your mother won't be around to stop you from transferring to a combat position," you offer Junior a sly smile, "if that is what your really want."

A massive grin slowly spins across Juniors face, and the boy squeezes your hand tight as begins to offer you enthusiastic and repeated thanks. You have failed to mention, of course, that you could easily block his transfer to a combat position after he leaves town if you so desire...

---

The Slavers guild has a small outpost set up just outside of the city walls. Their selection is limited, as the situation in Sky's Gate is not yet stable enough for the guild to feel comfortable keeping too much inventory on site. They have enough, however for you to easily pick up five skilled and trustworthy future officers.

Troglodytes, the hairy and agile ancestors of humans and halflings, sell for 300 Steel Chips per combat worthy individual. The guild member peddling them estimates that it would cost 3 Chips a month to keep one fed and maintained around Sky's Gate, but that the maintenance could easily drop if the food crisis is resolved. Although a Troglodyte is a bit too small and fragile to go toe to toe with a human of equal skill, a properly trained individual could easily control an untrained civilian or low level criminal.

Also for sale at 900 a pop are War Shrooms, a sub species of Plump Helmet Men bred into existence by the guild specifically to serve as soldiers. Although they are not much bigger than the average man, their bodies are made of a dense wood-like substance that allows them to take alot of punishment. They can also release clouds of spores designed to either disable or kill their victims. On the downside they are somewhat slow moving, so it is likely a criminal could easily outrun one, and as strict carnivores with a shockingly fast metabolism each would cost about 13 Chips a month to keep fed.

In addition to the already impressive standard combat-ready slaves, a few standout individuals are for sale at a particularly high cost. Some of them have exceptional skills or lineage, and other belong to more exotic species.

Quote from: The Guild's Special Selection
Nurgleplux is a War Shroom who is particularly good at investigative work; The guild actually uses him to look into misconduct by the unbroken and disloyal slaves. It sells for 1300 Steel Chips.
Terrin is a Troglodyte slave who is also an ordained cleric of Tat-Tarnlo, the Orcish God of assassins and other dishonorable combatants. Aside from the standard cleric healing magic, she also has mastered silence and invisibility spells. She is not properly trained for combat. She sells for 950 Steel Chips.
Orrin is a giant amount Troglodytes, standing at almost exactly the same height as you. Not does his size make him far superior to other members of his race in melee combat, but he has also mastered the great bow. He sells for 1000 Chips.
Kuyroin is a Troglodyte/Goblin hybrid who is trained in both combat and alchemy. He specializes in making various potions and poisons from War Shroom spores. He sells for 600 Chips.
Ashveil is a Deepmare, a powerful sentient horse capable of speech and the manipulation of fire and loose earth. While you are looking at the other slaves, Ashveil strikes up a conversation with Junior, promising to teach him to ride should she be purchased. Junior in turn begs you to buy her, but with a price tag of 2200 Chips she is not a purchase you can make lightly.
Chesapeake is a Plate Troll, one of the most feared fighting races that the guild deals in. She is about one and a half times the size of an adult Ogre, and covered in natural armor that is unlikely to give to anything less than a direct hit from a powerful spell or siege engine. She sells for 5200 Steel Chips, and will likely cost 20 Chips a month to feed.

You can take your time and make your decision. The guild masters agree to let you question the potential purchases as you see fit...

---

After dealing with the slaves, you head to bed. The next morning you rise, dress in your finest clothes, and ready your coach to visit Parliament. Upon reaching Swain Palace, the Sergant at Arms shows you the day's schedule; It seems likely that you can pay a private visit to any MP that you so wish if you hang around long enough. You were planning on meeting Trik-trik to discuss his plans for currency reform and perhaps funding your office, Vandul-Tat-Pallik to ask him about grooming your son for the military, and Tridap-Point about various matters such as getting Valiance into parliament.

If you have any business with any other MP, now would be a good time to address it...

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6