Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 21

Author Topic: Pillars of Eternity  (Read 50583 times)

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
Re: Pillars of Eternity
« Reply #150 on: March 30, 2015, 03:18:39 pm »

Why would they disallow spell templates by default for the 'expert' setting, it literally make mages unplayable. Took me a while to figure out why spellcasting never worked right...

Because it's a difficulty level designed for people who've already finished the game and have mastered the mechanics.  Hence it being called 'expert'.

I don't even find it that big of a deal. I've apparently managed to turn it on mid-game and can't turn it off (woo) but I'm doing alright just guesstimating. My party consists of a mage and two druids that throw AoEs all day long...
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: March 30, 2015, 03:43:31 pm »

I do miss the proper range and radius of D&D fireballs. Unless those come later, I've only reached character level 4 or so. I love this game but everything seems heavily weighted in favor of super-close combat, even the fog of war.

EDIT: OK, right now I think choosing Ranger was a terrible choice. They're a pretty crap version of the Fighter, with a mediocre pet to make up for the squishiness (Fighter > Ranger + Pet)... and they're not as good at ranged as Rogues.

Apparently one of the best parties you can have is pretty much a mix of Melee and Ranged Chanters, plus one paladin for healing, heh. Maybe one or two extra rogues for more damage. Or one rogue and a cypher.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/687020-pillars-of-eternity/71504458
« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 04:09:59 pm by Sergius »

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: March 30, 2015, 04:16:14 pm »

Lists druid as melee instead of magic? Yeah, no... *shakes head*
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: March 30, 2015, 04:23:03 pm »

List of notable bugs:
http://steamcommunity.com/app/291650/discussions/0/618457398976258195/#p1

Like wow. Just look at #1. Chances are everyone playing has it. Now I dunno if I've been actually getting better at the game or just got my stats perma-buffed through bugs. :o

Oh, Obsidian. :D

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: March 30, 2015, 04:23:46 pm »

Probably due to the pointless animal shape shifting.

I have no idea how their spells stack against the priest's.

RE:bugs, I already encountered the one where you can't leave a certain Lord's keep. Only workaround I could find was to delete the Area file for the castle exterior in the saved game (which is a zip file, btw). This resets the area, fortunately it's a pretty bare area with a couple guards and a few gatherable plants.

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: March 30, 2015, 04:30:00 pm »

I haven't played with a priest, but druids seem on par with wizards. They have a ton of elemental based AoEs -- all my battles start with each druid casting blizzard at the moment. Saying they're melee 'cause of shapeshifting is like saying wizards are melee because they can buff themselves.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: March 30, 2015, 04:32:51 pm »

I remember one of the more difficult fights involve ogre druids. I know when I fought it I got completely slammed (literally) for awhile.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: March 30, 2015, 04:36:09 pm »

I haven't played with a priest, but druids seem on par with wizards. They have a ton of elemental based AoEs -- all my battles start with each druid casting blizzard at the moment. Saying they're melee 'cause of shapeshifting is like saying wizards are melee because they can buff themselves.

Uh, isn't spiritshift a major class feature that pretty much supposed to turn them temporarily into a melee class? I know that it is so bad you're supposed to ignore it, but there it is. Wizards buffing themselves doesn't fundamentally change what they are. Wizards's non-spell ability is for example that little electricity ball that debuffs.

It's like saying that Fighters are defensive because their main ability is to put themselves in defense mode. Shocking?
« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 04:38:32 pm by Sergius »

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: March 30, 2015, 04:42:18 pm »

I dunno about PC druids, but the companion Druid is very nice when shifted - tears through enemies like they're made of paper.  I use it more than I use his spells to be honest - very effective at taking out archers and priests while my tank(s) hold the centre.  And with Wildstrike: Corrosion, he punches through damage reduction nicely too.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: March 30, 2015, 04:47:43 pm »

I dunno about PC druids, but the companion Druid is very nice when shifted - tears through enemies like they're made of paper.  I use it more than I use his spells to be honest - very effective at taking out archers and priests while my tank(s) hold the centre.  And with Wildstrike: Corrosion, he punches through damage reduction nicely too.

I read that the animal shape is good at early game but doesn't really get better vs stronger monsters. I don't know if that's true but it deterred me from making a druid. There's still too much info about the beta that we don't know if it has changed since, to be honest.

But there you go, druid seems to fulfill a tank function, even if it's not exclusive. You'll notice that the page I linked lists Rangers as both Melee and Ranged, because it supposedly can fill both. Same for druids as melee and casters. One doesn't exclude the other.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 04:50:01 pm by Sergius »

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: March 30, 2015, 04:58:56 pm »

But there you go, druid seems to fulfill a tank function, even if it's not exclusive. You'll notice that the page I linked lists Rangers as both Melee and Ranged, because it supposedly can fill both. Same for druids as melee and casters. One doesn't exclude the other.

Given that he doesn't list druids in the casting segment, and I'd say spells are at least as much a "major class feature" as shapeshifting, I'm not really sure his advice is... good.

Speaking of things that aren't exactly good, Hiravias' stats fall into that category as well, but I suppose you could say that of most any of the companions.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: March 30, 2015, 05:01:43 pm »

Given that he doesn't list druids in the casting segment, and I'd say spells are at least as much a "major class feature" as shapeshifting, I'm not really sure his advice is... good.

That's irrelevant. Forgetting to put the class in caster doesn't make the melee part invalid, nor does it mean that the class is not a caster.

You explicitly said that putting Druid in the melee part was wrong. Despite the fact that about half of the class is spiritshift, which is... melee.

The guy just hasn't investigated the druid caster abilities, same as he hasn't investigated much of the cipher.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: March 30, 2015, 05:03:26 pm »

By the way, in case no one has seen it yet, here's a list of severe gamebreaking bugs you might want to avoid. Chances are you've already run into them if you didn't know.

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/73757-list-of-bugs-that-everyone-should-know-about-game-breaking/

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: March 30, 2015, 05:08:37 pm »

That's irrelevant. Forgetting to put the class in caster doesn't make the melee part invalid, nor does it mean that the class is not a caster.

You explicitly said that putting Druid in the melee part was wrong. Despite the fact that about half of the class is spiritshift, which is... melee.

The guy just hasn't investigated the druid caster abilities, same as he hasn't investigated much of the cipher.

I guess I wouldn't describe spiritshift as half of the druid. It's a neat little thing you can do when you're out of spells or aren't fighting monsters tough enough to make spells worthwhile. Maybe you consider that more useful than blowing shit up, but I personally don't. So yes, I think classifying the druid as a melee class is wrong. But whatever, bickering about some random dude's forum post probably isn't worth all this energy.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: March 30, 2015, 05:34:22 pm »

I guess I wouldn't describe spiritshift as half of the druid
Maybe you consider that more useful than blowing shit up, but I personally don't.

See, putting words into my mouth. Saying it's half it's completely different that it's "more" useful. It's saying it should be "as" useful. Otherwise it would be 51% or more. Duh. :D
« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 05:36:58 pm by Sergius »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 21