Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 40

Author Topic: Pastblasters - Adventures in Wizardry (Turn 55)  (Read 89355 times)

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
Re: Pastblasters - Adventures in Wizardry (Turn 21)
« Reply #240 on: May 10, 2015, 11:24:36 pm »

I follow Efa to the library and, once there, *help her locate texts* - meaning wander around exploring and seeing if there is anything fun or hidden lying around.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
Re: Pastblasters - Adventures in Wizardry (Turn 21)
« Reply #241 on: May 11, 2015, 10:12:21 am »

Willhelm nods gravely at the request.

Rub my bruised arm, it's sore as hell. Also check out my pimpin' new bow some more. Are there hidden features? Can this thing be charged and what would the effect be if it can?

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pastblasters - Adventures in Wizardry (Turn 18)
« Reply #242 on: May 11, 2015, 04:54:27 pm »

"I met her. She looked like a kid, rode something strange and didn't seem afraid to go around killing people. Fast and kind of dumb too, didn't even know how ya looked and didn't bother listening. Lucky ya. Now help me look for shelter, because I am not letting go." he tells the Astrologer, taking a moment to look around. "Klein, ya little rascal. To me!" The mercenary seems distressed by the fact his black cat's obsessed with the other man's pocket crystal.

Keep looking for shelter. Stick close to the Archae guy in case Klein is still hanging around him.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pastblasters - Adventures in Wizardry (Turn 22)
« Reply #243 on: May 13, 2015, 12:01:08 am »

Keep looking for shelter.

HighEndNoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: May 13, 2015, 01:44:15 am »

"Well, an ashstorm was bound to happen, might as well get it out of the way now."

Put the dagger away and check the post-explosion armory.
(5) You manage to struggle free of the guards and sprint to a safe distance before tossing a knife at one! (5 + 1 = 6) The throwing knife zips through the air, slitting a guard's throat! It then travels around the group of guards like a boomerang. It (5) Slits another throat, (Three 6's in a row!) decapitates three more (!), (4) slices open the last guard's arm, and (2) narrowly misses a random bystander. It then flies back into your hand. Holy crap.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: May 13, 2015, 02:34:54 am »

Roll 23

"Well, an ashstorm was bound to happen, might as well get it out of the way now."

Put the dagger away and check the post-explosion armory.

[1][1] The armory is a disorganized mess. All you find are weapons of pitifully bad craftsmanship. You could forge better using a metal pipe instead of a hammer.

Lily starts to panic.

Lily: To think we'll be stuck here for hours! I have duties to attend in the forest!
As if by some stroke of insight, her face grows pale.
Lily: Wait, how could I forget? I used one of these to save you...
She produces a red card inscribed with runes from her leaf-dress, apparently hidden inside some pouch. It's hard to see the pouch since the dress is made of leaves, but it was definitely there.
Lily: It's a spell card, like those tomes you use, but better. They can be used directly from memory. The downside is that they're not renewable, and it takes time catching faeries and stamping them into a fine powder. Still, I wouln't be caught dead carrying a bunch of books around. I have three more copies of this one.
Lily: It's called "Automorphic Barrier," and as you might imagine it forms a barrier around you for a split second. The barrier can hold off the most powerful attacks, but only for a short time. It's also not flexible. But!
She removes a single blank blue card from the leaf-pouch.
Lily: I could try writing a Morph Card to modify the spell and change its properties. It's worth a shot. BUT, you must make up for all the hard work I did collecting sprites with a net. I'll give you two nets and anti-sprite charms, and you go out collecting them for me after the Lady is done with you. Deal?

Your whole body is burned (1)

You have a stack of spell tome pages and a black cover

You have a bloodied ceremonial dagger (Attack power: 3) (attaches to target and Drains it, suppressing it) (remembering a memory teleports this weapon to your hand)

You have a Beech Javelin (Attack power: 3 (thrown), 1 (stab))
You have 10 Javelin memories (lucid)
You have about thirty Hours
You have a royal goblet, a golden watch, and some jewelry

You remember the Lady of Winter
You remember a giant eye
You remember many pixies
You remember a band of Arinthian soldiers and some bandits
You remember a bandit sinking into the ground

Willhelm nods gravely at the request.

Rub my bruised arm, it's sore as hell. Also check out my pimpin' new bow some more. Are there hidden features? Can this thing be charged and what would the effect be if it can?

[3][3] Dry-firing a bow is a bad idea, but you decide to try pulling the bow back as far as is sane to test out the maximum draw. It doesn't seem noticeably different from the regular draw. However, you notice two notches on the bowstring, as if the bow was designed to fire two arrows at once. While that's normally a horrible tactic for any archer, the fact that this bow may be magical piques your interest.

To test it, you'll need to get outside, first, without burning up. The forest is likely to have more shade than an open field.
Also, you hear running water. A few trickles of water are coming down the stair corridor, and falling into a drain located in the center of the floor.

Your whole body is burned (1)
Your left arm is bruised (1)

You have a schematic of an iron arrow trap

You have a steel axe (Attack power: 1) (Deals piercing damage if the attack connects but fails to pierce)
You have an iron mace (Attack power: 2) (If the target has less than 2 damage, deals piercing damage)

You have a charged large greatbow (Attack power: 3 (charged), 1 (uncharged)) (charging takes one turn of preparation)
You have an uncharged Quickbow (Attack power: 1. Can fire twice per turn. Charging it allows you to fire two arrows per attack, four in one turn)
You have 13 arrows in your quiver (Attack power: 1)
There is one recoverable arrow near the Old Fortress Mound
You have an important scroll in a copper cylinder
You have about one hundred Hours

Keep looking for shelter.

The soldier fellow seems to be having the same trouble as you. He seems intent on bringing the supposed criminal along.

[2][5] You find a fellow Adept out on the streets. You recognize him not by his traditional Borian noblewear: a quinted gray jacket with matching fedora and black slacks, but instead you see him taking shelter under a semitransparent dome made of black slime material.

The dome seems big enough for the three of you and the cat, although it hardly seems like a great place to stand for a few hours. The Adept says the bubble slime isn't mobile, but that you can walk right in if you want, and the material will open up, and that it's refreshingly cool inside.

You have a green poison slime with Paralysis

You remember a red, blue, and a green spell-slime (weak)

You have a spiny walking stick (Attack power: (attacking head) 2, (attacking other parts) 1)
You have a silversteel falchion (Attack power: (on odd swings) 3, (on even swings) 2)
You remember your time in the wilderness well
You have some sandwiches and citrus
You have a Sprite Trap, labelled with the words "Samantha Magdelene, professor at U.T"
You have seventy-five Hours

"I met her. She looked like a kid, rode something strange and didn't seem afraid to go around killing people. Fast and kind of dumb too, didn't even know how ya looked and didn't bother listening. Lucky ya. Now help me look for shelter, because I am not letting go." he tells the Astrologer, taking a moment to look around. "Klein, ya little rascal. To me!" The mercenary seems distressed by the fact his black cat's obsessed with the other man's pocket crystal.

Keep looking for shelter. Stick close to the Archae guy in case Klein is still hanging around him.

Archae manages to find shelter under a gray slime bubble dome thing kept up by this Borian Adept. He invites you in.

Astrologer: You kidding? You want us to stand in that all day? Look, we got room at the Office for employees. They normally don't let ruffians in, but they owe me some favors since last time I saved their arses from a shifty fellow with a gun. Least they could do is let some 'friends' in. We could run toward the inner walls and run along the shadow, and the office is just next to one of the gates.

You have a Zweihänder slung on your shoulder (Attack power: 4) (can only be used offensively every other turn)
You have a Katzbalger (Attack power: 2)
You have an arquebus (Attack power: 3) (Your opponent gets an extra positive die to dodge)
You are wearing light plate armor (incoming attacks lose 1 attack power if over 1)
You have about one hundred and fifty Hours

I follow Efa to the library and, once there, *help her locate texts* - meaning wander around exploring and seeing if there is anything fun or hidden lying around.

The library is dead quiet, almost crypt-like both in noise and the dryness of the atmosphere. The books must suck all the moisture out of the air. Efa encounters a man in simple black clothing among the shelves. He styles himself "Brother James" and, when complimented by Efa for being "influential," is quick to disavow any credit he might receive for being head of the Monks Hospitaller.

As they discuss things, you decide to go looking around for some fun. You appear as a bright silhouette in the dark halls and shelves, so your presence easily spooks out the first random person you encounter in the shelves. He seems a middle-aged man wearing a red headband and dragging a loaded brown bag across the floor.
You spooked him just as he pulled a book from the shelf. He drops it on sight of you, however, and backs away slowly.

It is the 4th hour after noon. Ash is blazing bright in the azure sky, burning all exposed objects and adding +1 to all die in a thoughtform roll.
Expected end of Ashstorm: 7th hour.  (Next hour: Turn 32)
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

HighEndNoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: May 14, 2015, 01:35:16 am »

Eh, I don't have any pressing matters after meeting the Lady. "Ok, I'll help collect sprites when our business with the Lady of Winter is finished."
(5) You manage to struggle free of the guards and sprint to a safe distance before tossing a knife at one! (5 + 1 = 6) The throwing knife zips through the air, slitting a guard's throat! It then travels around the group of guards like a boomerang. It (5) Slits another throat, (Three 6's in a row!) decapitates three more (!), (4) slices open the last guard's arm, and (2) narrowly misses a random bystander. It then flies back into your hand. Holy crap.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: May 14, 2015, 01:42:58 am »

Eh, I don't have any pressing matters after meeting the Lady. "Ok, I'll help collect sprites when our business with the Lady of Winter is finished."

Lily: Sweet! Now uh, let's see... Automorphic Barrier needs yellow ink, so I need the opposite. Hey um... Zikal...
She looks at you with her large, innocent eyes.
Lily: Since humans only have trichromatic vision, do you happen to know the opposite of yellow? Oh wait, it's blue. Right.
She reaches through her pouch, sorting out colored flasks and setting them down on a bench.
Lily: Say, are either of you Adepts? My powers are limited by kind, but humans can cast whatever they want. That's why we keep... a great amount of respect for your kind! We need blue ink.

HighEndNoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pastblasters - Adventures in Wizardry (Turn 23)
« Reply #248 on: May 14, 2015, 01:46:49 am »

"I am  an adept, yes. I'll try to get some blue ink."

Try to remember a bottle of blue ink, primarily from my time at Saltar.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: May 14, 2015, 05:23:26 am »

"Water." Willhelm says to Zikal from afar "Splishy Splashy"

Go check out the running water. If nothing weird or dangerous presents itself, wash my face. If the water is running and looks clean, gather some for later as well.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: May 14, 2015, 07:15:18 am »

((Lilly is wrong - the opposite of yellow is purple. you are making the wrong ink for her.
the opposite of each of the primary colors (red, blue, yellow) is the secondary color made by mixing the other two primaries (green, orange, and purple respectively) ))

I sigh and pick up the book, look at the cover and flick through a few random pages, then close it and offer it to him at arm's length.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: May 14, 2015, 11:49:34 am »

((Lilly is wrong - the opposite of yellow is purple. you are making the wrong ink for her.
the opposite of each of the primary colors (red, blue, yellow) is the secondary color made by mixing the other two primaries (green, orange, and purple respectively) ))

I sigh and pick up the book, look at the cover and flick through a few random pages, then close it and offer it to him at arm's length.

((In terms of light the opposite of 255:255:0 is 0:0:255.

If the term opposite is incorrect for this, then, well, thanks for the clarification.))

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: May 14, 2015, 05:20:50 pm »

((In terms of light the opposite of 255:255:0 is 0:0:255.

If the term opposite is incorrect for this, then, well, thanks for the clarification.))
((In terms of RGB (Red Green Blue) video displays, using 256 color (2^8 or 8 bits of data in computer memory) you are correct.
in terms of the color wheel and how our eyes work, I'm right.
for evidence, stare at something really brightly colored for a long time, about 2 mins or 120 seconds or so, though 90 or even less will usually work.
then look at a clean blank white piece of printer paper.
you will have a "ghost image" of the brightly colored thing appear on the paper... in the opposite color. for example if the object is bright red, the ghost image will be green.
this is because your eyes protect themselves from being overwhelmed by such things by canceling out strong sources. the similar to if you stare at a lightbulb and look away you'll have a dark spot in your vision. it allows you to see more detail in the sea of bright red if your eyes cancel some of it out. this cancelation lasts for a little while after the strong source is removed, so you can see it if you look at a pure white background like your clean printer paper.
this is also why in most supermarkets the green vegetables will usually be near the red meats, and you'll often have other green things around the meat. it's so your eyes will add some extra red from looking at all that green... and make the red meat itself look redder and juicer than it actually is.))

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: May 14, 2015, 05:35:09 pm »

"Ya really don't know how to ingratiate your complaining self to people. Let's get going then." Leonhard grumbles. "In the meantime, tell me why the papers are important." he says as he gets the cat and waves for Archae to follow him if he wants to. "Klein seems to like ya, or at least your stuff. Come with me and this fine gentleman, would ya? Ya can tell me about that 'lake of dreams'."

Follow the Astrologer's instructions but keep a close eye on him.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: May 14, 2015, 06:12:26 pm »

"Ya really don't know how to ingratiate your complaining self to people. Let's get going then." Leonhard grumbles. "In the meantime, tell me why the papers are important."

Astrologer: Well I got no clue why someone's trying to kill me over it. Must be another astrologer or someone who's got the same theory as mine. Maybe he's waiting for people to forget so that nobody thinks he's suspicious. Scholarship is a rough job these days, everyone's always making the same discoveries and claiming priority. Most of the time people just pretend to collaborate and backstab the other poor sod.

"Water." Willhelm says to Zikal from afar "Splishy Splashy"

Go check out the running water. If nothing weird or dangerous presents itself, wash my face. If the water is running and looks clean, gather some for later as well.

The water is in a cave, surrounded by mushrooms.
Lily: The water's a bit dirty, I dumped all my failed potions in there. The master doesn't need water since he made himself a ghost, just like he did with all his guys. He wanted to make me one too the first time, but he's a dummy. Flower spirits don't leave bodies!

((In terms of RGB (Red Green Blue) video displays, using 256 color (2^8 or 8 bits of data in computer memory) you are correct.
in terms of the color wheel and how our eyes work, I'm right.
for evidence, stare at something really brightly colored for a long time, about 2 mins or 120 seconds or so, though 90 or even less will usually work.
then look at a clean blank white piece of printer paper.
you will have a "ghost image" of the brightly colored thing appear on the paper... in the opposite color. for example if the object is bright red, the ghost image will be green.
this is because your eyes protect themselves from being overwhelmed by such things by canceling out strong sources. the similar to if you stare at a lightbulb and look away you'll have a dark spot in your vision. it allows you to see more detail in the sea of bright red if your eyes cancel some of it out. this cancelation lasts for a little while after the strong source is removed, so you can see it if you look at a pure white background like your clean printer paper.
this is also why in most supermarkets the green vegetables will usually be near the red meats, and you'll often have other green things around the meat. it's so your eyes will add some extra red from looking at all that green... and make the red meat itself look redder and juicer than it actually is.))

((This is a matter of opponent-process theory vs tricolor theory. AFAIK the answer is that our eyes work trichromatically, but the way we process information causes red and green to appear complementary even though the actual compliment of red is cyan. Spell combos operate through color addition, since the end result has to add up to white, so it's RGB as far as Spell Colors work. You can also use three spells at a time if they add up to white, such as adding Green and Blue morph cards onto a basic Red spell, but that's more difficult to pull off.

For more information, see the wikipedia page on complimentary colors))
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 40