Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Libraries! Books! Knowledge!  (Read 4626 times)

AbanShakehandles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • microscopes are fun
Libraries! Books! Knowledge!
« on: March 24, 2015, 12:05:45 pm »

Neat!  :D
It's like we're looking
down on Wayne's basement, only
that's not Wayne's basement.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
Re: Libraries! Books! Knowledge!
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2015, 12:09:19 pm »

Maybe it'll turn my attention away from the chronic lack of sieges...

But yeah. Werebeast/vampire generators ! Tavern Fortress ! Drunken dwarves causing Fun ! More visitors ! And books !

Also philosophers. I really wonder what the new education system will do in dwarf mode.

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2015, 12:56:17 pm »

Maybe it'll turn my attention away from the chronic lack of sieges...

But yeah. Werebeast/vampire generators ! Tavern Fortress ! Drunken dwarves causing Fun ! More visitors ! And books !

Also philosophers. I really wonder what the new education system will do in dwarf mode.
You just have to enjoy those visiting philosophers that bring new books to your fort and then turn into werebeasts during full moon.
Beside other things, bay12forums is also the leader website in calculations of saguaro wood density.
(noted by jwoodward48df)

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2015, 04:29:19 pm »

I'm excited about libraries. I want to make a fortress with a vast library full of knowledge and original works from the world's greatest artists, poets, philosophers, and other knowledgeable people and starting hording the world's knowledge. The tides of war may kill the artists, but the art will survive within my impenetrable fortress.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2015, 05:27:40 pm »

To dorf or not to dorf, that is now a question which can be asked.

See, the stuff this can interact with in fortress mode is interesting, but the fact that you will be able to go research this stuff with your poet axelord necromancer vampire and hopefully have bizarre conversations with deep thinking dorfs and goblins in a library in the middle of nowhere?

That will be amazing.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2015, 05:43:12 pm »

As goblins don't die a natural death (unless you count violence in goblin society as natural) they might make some of the best sages.

Magnus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2015, 05:47:12 am »

Extremely needed in Adventurer mode. Currently there are three things you can do there:
Rescue captured children.
Become a vampire/werebeast/necromancer.
Kill stuff.

I'm really looking forward to the taverns!
Ilrom Ziril - The Peak of Fire:
An epic saga of weregophers and volcano gods.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=148021.0

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2015, 06:59:35 am »

Extremely needed in Adventurer mode. Currently there are three things you can do there:
Kill stuff.

It was inevitable. 
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2015, 09:13:22 am »

Kill stuff.

Trigger/take part in wars, take over sites (though that is lacking a lot due to not being able to build a world-spanning empire, instead ending up as the lord/lady of twenty groups, even if all are the same name), rescue civilians from marching armies, use advfort to build stuff in a site you dfusion created, use advfort to produce your own stuff, use said stuff to outfit an army of misfit kids you asked to wait somewhere instead of returning home, bring said army to your own fortress and retire then unretire the fort and play it for a bit to help history advance, retire and switch back to the adventurer later on and see how things have unfolded, periodically copy your save and rename it as legends/whatnot and see how your actions have influenced history after retiring said legends copy of yourself, climb mountains, discover things, flesh out the map, try to become known everywhere, I'm sure there is more...

Still, this is definitely needed because of all the non-killy stuff it will add to do.

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2015, 09:43:23 am »

As goblins don't die a natural death (unless you count violence in goblin society as natural) they might make some of the best sages.

by that logic, elves would be the greatest philosophers since they're also ageless and less violent than goblins
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 09:49:59 am by PDF urist master »
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

omega_dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Architect, Dabbling Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2015, 11:04:01 am »

by that logic, elves would be the greatest philosophers since they're also ageless and less violent than goblins

Although a lot of our greatest works of literature, etc. revolve around war and conflict. It could spice up the goblins' works, although yeah, the elves would probably live longer...assuming they're not attacked by said goblins. Wood doesn't go very far against iron.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2015, 11:59:55 am »

From looking through my legends mode histories on smaller worlds with a lot of access and warfare, wood doesn't do much against iron, but bears do.

Though, I had a forest retreat I depopulated with a crippled limbless blind elf queen I left alive as a witness, it was attacked by 3 gobs, they lost and retreated after she killed one. Thought it was 20 but that was a siege from the same group shortly before.

She was basically a grumpy potato elf and she killed a goblin, that is awful.

Missing her arms, legs, ears, nose, tongue, guts, teeth, blind, damaged lungs...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 12:10:10 pm by Max™ »

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2015, 12:57:44 pm »

Although a lot of our greatest works of literature, etc. revolve around war and conflict. It could spice up the goblins' works, although yeah, the elves would probably live longer...assuming they're not attacked by said goblins. Wood doesn't go very far against iron.

Wood doesn't, but multi-tile trees are deadly right now.

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2015, 03:55:53 pm »

I dunno about that. I mean, ever head of warrior poets? 

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2015, 08:07:38 pm »

Hmm. If goblins become poets and philosophers, and knowing goblin ethics... they are gonna become my favorite race if this continues.

Considering elven values I assume every elf text will be nature-loving in nature.

But we will have ancient battle epics in the next version ! It will be awesome !
Pages: [1] 2