Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Bucket and some sawdust?  (Read 1834 times)

Jigowah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Bucket and some sawdust?
« on: March 23, 2015, 11:27:50 pm »

Vomit.  Vomit everywhere...this is a first for me folks.

All over my garbage dump full of mussel shells.  All over the courtyard.  All over the bridges.  Soap has not helped us sadly.  I think we're looking at MAJOR and WIDESPREAD cave adaptation.  I've just never seen it this bad. 

Is there any way to clean up this  mess? 180 dwarves are REALLY spreading it around now and constantly make more

On a side but related note:

I built the people a glorious well of gold, with gold everything in a carved and engraved room.  A child caused a cave-in of the floor and puked deep in the cistern of the well.  It is on a tile directly below the well itself, but at least 3 tiles of water "7" below the water surface. 

AM I MAKING THEM DRINK VOMIT?  Can I fix this by just eventually letting them drink all this water?  It is a lot...

i_have_no_idea_what_im_doing.jpg
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 11:55:02 pm by Jigowah »

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
Re: Bucket and some sawdust?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2015, 12:01:27 am »

Now would be a good time to devise a 'flush the entire fortress with water' plan

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2015, 12:20:49 am »

Now would be a good time to devise a 'flush the entire fortress with water' plan
Only to create more mud than vomit?
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Jigowah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2015, 12:28:15 am »

I suppose I could use pumps and the nearby river to flood the surface clean without too much fuss.

Bizarrely, there is no vomit indoors aside from the one water tile deep in the well.  How do I fix the well?  The puke was there before I filled it, so I don't feel like it "washes away" when wet...  Also it doesn't seem that everyone is drinking vomit, but some definitely have.

I <3 DF.

Delioth

• Bay Watcher
  • Mass Gauntlet Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2015, 12:29:55 am »

I mean, it's honestly not harmful in any way (Except maybe a disgusted thought or something...) and I think dwarves are supposed to clean it up eventually. If not, make them look like they're cleaning it up and use dfhack to cleanall it up.
Help us write a story!
We're currently setting the scene and world- characters, civilizations, flora/fauna, cities, places, anything setting!
Products of my Boredom (Old)
Quote from: Shawtay
Delioth, you sir, are a wonderful, wonderful person.
When in doubt, Apply Magma

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2015, 09:48:34 am »

Only to create more mud than vomit?
That mud would be cleaned in the second stage, 'flush the entire fortress with magma'  plan.
Beside other things, bay12forums is also the leader website in calculations of saguaro wood density.
(noted by jwoodward48df)

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2015, 09:59:49 am »

spot some magma in a few tiles, add water for a nice deep steam cleaning.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2015, 10:21:48 am »

dfhack clean all

Or flood your fortress with magma. Your choice.

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2015, 12:53:41 pm »

spot some magma in a few tiles, add water for a nice deep steam cleaning.
Drop several iron items into each magma drop before adding water for superior steam ironing.
Beside other things, bay12forums is also the leader website in calculations of saguaro wood density.
(noted by jwoodward48df)

Jigowah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2015, 12:59:05 pm »

I tend to play DF with the rule that "you live with your mistakes, messes, deaths, absurd moments, etc..." so I won't use DFHACK to fix this as nothing is really broken.  Instead I will just enjoy the green gunk all over everything.  I'm mostly just surprised that I haven't seen this kind of thing happen in the 100 games I've played so far. 

Honestly this situation is more hilarious to me than it is frustrating. 

KingKaol

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a magma.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2015, 01:14:34 pm »

Build everything out of green glass and olivine, then you won't notice it as much ;)

But really I think the only way to prevent cave adaptation is to have a meeting area that is exposed to the sky. Shouldn't be a problem in Calm surroundings but I'm thinking stationing marksdwarves in the same area might be necessary for more dangerous locations where flyers can attack.

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2015, 01:23:56 pm »

Build everything out of green glass and olivine, then you won't notice it as much ;)

But really I think the only way to prevent cave adaptation is to have a meeting area that is exposed to the sky. Shouldn't be a problem in Calm surroundings but I'm thinking stationing marksdwarves in the same area might be necessary for more dangerous locations where flyers can attack.

Shallow fortress in dense area with most of dwarves with "wood hauling" enabled and using lots of logs for smelting worked for me. Till some dwarves got bashed by trolls there were no green splats around.
(noted by jwoodward48df)

Hetairos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2015, 03:21:12 pm »

Building anything on contaminated tiles will clean it. Dirt and paved roads are the fastest way to do it.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2015, 04:14:31 pm »

I tend to play DF with the rule that "you live with your mistakes, messes, deaths, absurd moments, etc..." so I won't use DFHACK to fix this as nothing is really broken.  Instead I will just enjoy the green gunk all over everything.

When FPS death starts to rear it's ugly head, you will think differently.

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2015, 07:07:51 am »

I tend to play DF with the rule that "you live with your mistakes, messes, deaths, absurd moments, etc..." so I won't use DFHACK to fix this as nothing is really broken.  Instead I will just enjoy the green gunk all over everything.

When FPS death starts to rear it's ugly head, you will think differently.

Does Vomit lower FPS?  That would explain some things.

Anyways, the reason vomit is not accruing indoors is because there is a setting somewhere that makes dwarves not clean outside tiles.  You could turn this off, but you risk the possibility of more cave-adapted dwarves going to the surface with cleaning jobs, only to add to the volumes of vomit.  Burrows, baby.  Prevent more vomit by preventing cave-adapted dwarves from going to the surface. 

could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.
Pages: [1] 2