Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Versions  (Read 1905 times)

Yurisovski

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Versions
« on: March 23, 2015, 08:20:22 pm »

Hi guys, i don't know if this is the right place to post such thing but anyway;
I stopped playing at version 0.34.11 and i need to know what the changes in dwarf fortress mode gameplay to version 40.24.

i know all the bugfixes and the gathering trees stuff, but i missing something?

Thanks, and sorry for the bad english.

Therolt

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Versions
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2015, 09:27:42 pm »

From the Development Log on the Index page:

12/18/2014 (Version 40.20+)

"New stuff

New job selection process where dwarves choose important tasks with more regularity
    Very important jobs can remove dwarves from less important jobs
    Ability to prioritize a job so that it gets done immediately
    Mining, engraving and other designation jobs can now be prioritized numerically
    Designation jobs can be placed in a "marker only" mode, marker can be removed later to start work
    Mining jobs can be set to automatically follow veins and clusters
    Mining designation can be set to only select visible gems or useful stone"

In short: Dwarves are organized more efficiently in terms of job priorities and you can set the priority high for certain actions which makes them urgent. I.e. "Do this now!"
"We love the new trees, but god dammit man, these trees require a processor each to properly account for every fruit, nut and leaf. I swear that each leaf makes it into legends, and each nut and fruit is forever etched in the memories of our dear dwarves." - neil_v 2015

Yurisovski

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2015, 11:01:20 pm »

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Thank you, i will stick with the old version anyway...
they are compatible?

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2015, 11:17:20 pm »

There's way more to DF2014 than what was added in 40.20. First and foremost the 40.01 highlights (paraphrased):
World activation!
Fortresses can be retired and unretired.
Site maps for dwarves, elves and goblins.
Multi-tile trees and lots of new plants. Fruit and flowers. Leaves that fall in little clouds.
Various movement changes. Climbing/jumping/sprinting in both modes. Adventure mode has a stealth rewrite. Movement and combat are separate now.
Tracking information in adventure mode.
Different levels of conflict.
Combat moves take place over a period of time now. Catching an opponent's attack. Get information about what attacks your opponent is doing. Quick/heavy/etc. attacks and multi-attacks.
Rumors of incidents can be spread, and the rumors need to be spread before you gain reputation (good or bad).
You can travel through tunnels.
Conversations have been redone. They no longer have their own screen, but run along with other actions, and there are many more options.
Some experiments with procedural items, though the new demon-type sites are still quite un-fun now.

Lots of bug fixes. Declaring ownership of sites in adventure mode. Pulping body parts. Equipping companions. Fleeing in terror. Inevitability. Emotion/stress rewrite. Harvesting fruit from trees. Gelding (neutering). Breeding requires proximity.

Saves are not compatible. Sieges are unfortunately all but non-existent in the current version. Undead and werebeasts, on the other hand, are much more deadly. The new adventure mode quest log fills up with useless information and you can't tell which beasts are still alive or not. Killing sentients, even bandits and vampires, will upset people and they will spit at you. DFHack now has a plug-in (Text Will Be Text) that allows you to combine ASCII and graphical tile sets as well as display multiple Z-levels at once.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 11:44:10 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Afghani84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2015, 11:12:52 am »

I remember that you had to have masonry enabled on any dwarf supposed to build constructions. Now everybody just gets up and builds them, even with no hauling and/or masonry enabled. Any reason why Toady changed it? Makes it kinda hard to manage since dwarves will randomly run to the other side of the fortress to build a wall although you wanted them to do something completely different.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2015, 11:46:32 am »

Um...it is better now, because you can deactivate the "build floor/wall" labor on your dwarfes.
I think it is under "other jobs".

Afghani84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2015, 12:13:01 pm »

Um...it is better now, because you can deactivate the "build floor/wall" labor on your dwarfes.
Oh...thanks for the tip. I never really looked at jobs ingame...always used therapist. It doesn't seem to be implemented in therapist yet though. So it's a lot of micromanagement to disable it on most dwarves...any way I can disable it for all at once?

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2015, 01:00:58 pm »

Oh...thanks for the tip. I never really looked at jobs ingame...always used therapist. It doesn't seem to be implemented in therapist yet though. So it's a lot of micromanagement to disable it on most dwarves...any way I can disable it for all at once?
There should be somewhere stored list of jobs that should be enabled on all immigrants. I think there was somebody who said he modded those to just few he wanted.
Beside other things, bay12forums is also the leader website in calculations of saguaro wood density.
(noted by jwoodward48df)

Eldin00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2015, 01:13:12 pm »

The new construction, deconstruction, and roadbuilding labors show up in the version of Dwarf Therapist included with PeridexisErrant's starter pack (since at least the .40.24 r5 version).

Urist Arrhenius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2015, 01:31:15 pm »

The new construction, deconstruction, and roadbuilding labors show up in the version of Dwarf Therapist included with PeridexisErrant's starter pack (since at least the .40.24 r5 version).
You need the full labors tab, not any sort of compressed one.
We're all just Simple Folk trying to get by.

You can also watch me learn to draw.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2015, 01:55:24 pm »

Yep, it's the Full Labor tab, not the Labor (Compressed).
Construction and Deconstruction are separate jobs.

Afghani84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2015, 02:19:06 pm »

Yep, it's the Full Labor tab, not the Labor (Compressed).
Construction and Deconstruction are separate jobs.
That's exactly where I went wrong. Thanks for the help, everyone!

bigcalm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2015, 02:34:43 pm »

Main differences between 34.11 and 40.24
- Was mostly about the adventure update.  But the following are notable:

* It's pretty stable but not perfect.  I'm seeing perhaps a few more crashes in 40.24 over 34.11 - set your game (if you use the starter pack) to autosave seasonally.
* Big trees.  You'll have a LOT more wood available, even if you embark in an area with "sparse" trees.  Falling logs can punch through a floor as well so it's avisable if you can to put underground farms at surface-2 level not surface-1 level, and to leave surface-1 empty.
* Climbing invaders.  A 1 high stockade is no longer sufficient to prevent invaders.  My current stockade is between 4 and 6 high and invaders still managed to climb it.  This doesn't happen often - with a 2-high stockade and no obvious tree-climbing routes over, you can expect maybe 2 or 3 invaders to get over the wall from a siege of 60.  However, if you have no military, this can be devastating.
* Hospital bug where it takes all your supplies seems fixed.
* Site finder bug where it would never find flux stone is fixed.
* Bee-keeping is less buggy
* Archers can now find bolts in bins.
* Lots of new above ground plants and trees available.
* Herbalists are an effective way of feeding your fort.
* Collecting fruit from trees for brewing and cooking.
* Pit-dropping monsters from cages into pits is downright dangerous and should be avoided.
* Goblins are weaker.  Undead are stronger.  MUCH stronger.
* Your military will need time to train properly together as they now need discipline (or they can just run away from the enemy).  Danger rooms no longer train fighting - just shield user, weaponskill, armour skill, and dodging.  Lots of bugs still with armour equipping (just choose to replace and it'll be fine).
* Lye should not be placed in a stockpile that accepts barrels or your dwarves won't be able to find it.
* Clothesmaking / Dyeing conflict such that you'll get a lot of cancellation spam as soon as you start storing the cloth in bins.  Solution 1: Cloth stockpile shouldn't accept bins; Solution 2: Manage all cloth-related jobs using the manager; Solution 3: Have a quite ridiculous amount of cloth around on hand;
* Happiness has changed to stress.  Whilst this should mean that tantrum-spirals will be a thing of the past, dwarves that are susceptible to stress are extremely hard to keep happy.  There's lots of things you can do about stress, none of them are easy.
* It's more laggy.  There's many reasons behind this, but you should not try to play with 200 dwarves.  If your computer struggles, choose a pocket world on world-gen (lots of external events can cause issues), a smallish size embark, restricted numbers of dwarves, small stockpiles, and try to keep your animal population small.