Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 107

Author Topic: Overwatch  (Read 167127 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Overwatch - Released
« Reply #510 on: June 09, 2016, 05:16:15 pm »

On a side note the Japanese response to these characters are: "awesome! But... we don't know if the West confused China and Japan up again... Or if they are supposed to be part of a future homogenized Asia"

Reminds me of this

Close. Though it is Genji telling the story behind their dragons.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: June 09, 2016, 05:33:15 pm »

I WISH I could find this one comic for you. It is basically Genji narrating the story of him and his brother.

Goddamn it.  I know exactly which one you are talking about, but I just searched all of tumblr with no luck.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: June 09, 2016, 06:10:15 pm »

No more so than Japanese attempts to portray Western characters and culture blur lines there. It's just a slight reliance on generic cultural markers in the absence of native understanding.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: June 09, 2016, 06:32:38 pm »

No more so than Japanese attempts to portray Western characters and culture blur lines there. It's just a slight reliance on generic cultural markers in the absence of native understanding.

I dunno... While Western depictions from Japan are either exaggerated or Japanised (but those are specific)

I don't remember the last time I seen them completely confuse what country the USA was.

Then again our media seems to have general tendency to not be able to tell the Asian countries apart ALA Mulan where we confused China for Japan.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 06:46:46 pm by Neonivek »

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: June 09, 2016, 06:40:30 pm »

lolwat
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: June 09, 2016, 06:41:42 pm »

lolwat
What you are witnessing is a poor person with early onset dementia and access to a computer in action.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: June 09, 2016, 06:43:46 pm »

gg
Black lives matter.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: June 09, 2016, 06:48:58 pm »

https://thesocietypages.org/socimages/2010/08/30/guest-post-why-do-the-japanese-draw-themselves-as-white/

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/quora/how-is-disneys-mulan-perc_b_4314035.html

Ahh my dementia is acting up you sillies :P

I actually DID look this stuff up. I am not talking out of my butt.

It is just interesting to see what other countries think of the depiction of their own. The BIG pet peeve of Japan and China is usually to be confused for another Asian country (usually the other).
« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 06:51:33 pm by Neonivek »

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: June 09, 2016, 06:50:54 pm »

I mean the US is pretty massively stereotyped in this game too.  Overwatch tends to run on a mixture of stereotypes and original character concepts.  So like D'va is an original character unlike any FPS character I can think of off the top of my head, but she's also a massive reference to e-sports in South Korea.

Not sure what you're saying about homogenized asia.  There's two ninjas from Japan, one of which has slightly more of a samurai style (Hanzo really can't decide if he's a shadowy assassin or an honorable warrior), a Tibetan monk who's from Nepal instead of Tibet because they want to sell the game in China and Tibet's kinda a sore spot for them, and a Korean I already talked about above.  They all seem pretty heavily tied to their country of origin.  The only one that I could see being a mix-up is that Mei is supposed to be Chinese but seems a little Kawaii or Moe or whatever the fuck people are calling the Japanese obsession with cuteness these days.  But... Mei's character isn't really specific to any part of the world, and her fashion choices can be written off because "its the future now."  We're all waifus now
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: June 09, 2016, 06:53:26 pm »

I mean the US is pretty massively stereotyped in this game too.

Ohh by all means that isn't the issue... and frankly in terms of "How cool do they look?" there is no issue there at all. :P
-Heck one of my FAVORITE Anime villains of all time is this incredibly over the top villainous Boxer who grew up on the mean streets of New York and is Blonde (because he is American... OF COURSE he is Blonde). Though in all fairness he is partially based off a real Boxer who... kind of acted similarly.

Heck... Japan has no issue massively stereotyping themselves.

Only a statement that Blizzard seems to have confused Japan with China... but that it could just be that in the Overwatch universe globalization has homogenized the Asian hemisphere.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 06:57:33 pm by Neonivek »

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: June 09, 2016, 06:55:41 pm »

..But is that really the game's fault? Honestly I think in terms of just stereotypes it does a fine job in differentiating. The thing at blame would likely be a player who didn't realize, if anyone.

So what is the issue.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: June 09, 2016, 06:57:07 pm »

But how, specifically, did Overwatch confuse Japan and China?
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: June 09, 2016, 07:00:35 pm »

But how, specifically, did Overwatch confuse Japan and China?

Well... Its a LOT of comments. (Including a terrible Japanese phrase that they laugh at)

But from relooking at it. It is that the Dragon Designs are outright not Japanese Dragons... among other things I cannot parse.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Overwatch/comments/4jvhir/some_japanese_responses_to_the_dragon_short/
« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 07:02:54 pm by Neonivek »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: June 09, 2016, 08:11:39 pm »

Uh. Did you read your own source? There's two guys out of who knows how many talking about Blizzard confusing Japan and China, and the gist of the discussion of the phrase (I assume you're talking about the stuff re: 竜頭蛇尾) is that there's solid symbolic meaning in it.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: June 10, 2016, 07:50:15 pm »

Well, somebay12ers just tried to qualify in a tournament and got slaughtered :(

I'm realizing that I'm having the same issue with competitive Overwatch play as I do with L4D2 versus: you gotta know all the spots in the maps and that's just too much work.  But I can also see how it could be really fun if I took the time to learn it.  The team we played against was night and day compared to pub Overwatch; the skill difference was kind of refreshing what with everyone needing to contribute at all times.

One issue I am seeing compared to other competitive FPSs is the one-note nature of the maps.  Its not like CS:GO where there's 3 paths through a map and two objectives for you to complete.  There's the point or the payload, and the point or the payload... and there's the point or the payload.  Even MOBAs have multiple objectives you can focus on.  But beyond that it does seem like it has a lot more variety relative to CS:GO what with all the ridiculous characters.  The barriers alone totally change the game compared to other FPSs.

I dunno, definitely going to stick to pubs for now.
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 107