Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 107

Author Topic: Overwatch  (Read 167147 times)

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
Re: Overwatch - Released
« Reply #525 on: June 10, 2016, 08:54:57 pm »

I think the only big issue with Overwatch competitive right now is the lack of a good spectator mode. Nowhere near as good as CS:GO.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: June 10, 2016, 10:08:05 pm »

If it seems a bit much you can wait and see if any local game stores are going to discount it after a while. Hopefully by that time they'd have added in some more maps as well as possibly some more heroes to play with. You also kinda got a chance to try it out, so you'd be a bit more informed on whether it would be worth the money or not compared to most people, but it's pretty fun. Hopefully soon the competitive mode will kick off and quick play would be if you want a nice quick game.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: June 10, 2016, 10:08:26 pm »

That's only part of the problem. There's also a serious issue with all of the cosmetic-addicted morons complaining because they want to play a loot crate opening simulator instead of a shooter, because we can't enjoy games unless they give us a steady stream of virtual lotto tickets with a chance of winning monopoly money.

It's also a joke that they're trying to make it competitive with 20Hz clientside tickrate and the massively oversized head hitboxes. They would have been vastly better off a) not making those shitty decisions and b) making it a low-entry-bar high-skill-ceiling social shooter. Like what CS 1.6 and Source were back in the day, where you could have a pro scene, but you also had hundreds of thousands of people who just hopped onto pub servers (or modded servers, or &c...) and had fun. As opposed to the massive pile of bullshit that is CS:GO, I mean.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: June 10, 2016, 10:19:24 pm »

According to my friends, the fact that overwatch is trying to be competitive makes people super horrible to each other and therefore ruins the game. They're a bit prone to hyperbole and one's really, really sour about losing matches, so we're all coming at it from different mindsets.

I mean it's true.  If you've played ranked league you know the players don't get better in competitive modes, they just get saltier, nastier, and more convinced that they're gods and everyone's holding them back.

That was true even in the old pub match CSS though.

And what's the problem with loot crates?  It's not like people hounding for them matters in-game.  I've got all the skins I want, I don't even care about the crates anymore.
Shoes...

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: June 10, 2016, 10:38:46 pm »

There are a ton of people bitching and moaning about the slow loot crate gain rate, about duplicates, about the loot boxes being sold for real cash, about a paid game having the option to buy cosmetics, &c. In other words, they're completely missing the point of cosmetics and treating them as if they're the actual goal of the game rather than a nice little bonus that slightly increases your aesthetic enjoyment.

Maybe it was just a difference of experience. The servers I played on were pretty much always really, really chill, though that might have been because it was primarily just a group of 20 or so regulars with plenty of active admins. Never really saw much in the way of rage or salt, and often the opposite, people complementing and helping each other get better. Except in the jailbreak server, but that's to be expected given that it was a jailbreak server.

3. Run Resize Enable

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: June 10, 2016, 10:41:53 pm »

I got the beduin genji skin so I'm good as far as cosmetics go. And for the most part you won't hear them complain unless it's on the forums or something. To be fair, it's not exactly like the loot crate is a grate reward for leveling up, and it's intentionally built that way so you can buy more, but it never really felt worth it putting 10 dollars down to see if that was good or not. But yeah, hitting new levels is not as fun as it could be because money reasons more or less, but there's generally going to be one or two cosmetics you'd ever care about having.

Still, I've not run into too many complaints about it. Or played with people that complain about it in game.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: June 10, 2016, 10:45:36 pm »

I'm just kinda shocked and appalled. 'Cause I sank something like 400-500 days of my life (that's days, not hours) into Halo 3, despite that having no "rewards" of any sort beyond the satisfaction of playing (and the handful of armor skins you unlocked in a couple hours of play) and loved basically all of it, then here these dumb shits are whining because they don't get a mountain of cosmetics for free after every match or whatever the hell it is they want, never mind that's it's bizarre to fixate on cosmetics instead of enjoying the game.

3. Run Resize Enable

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: June 10, 2016, 10:51:33 pm »

*shrugs*
As far as nickle and diming players it's the lesser evil, but it's really not something too satisfying. And well, as far as halo 3 went with cosmetics, well. There was that special helmet that went to some guy that managed to die to a traffic cone and the forums went nuts about it too. You'll always find annoying people around games really, best to ignore and move on before it affects your blood pressure.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: June 10, 2016, 10:58:29 pm »

I mean, yeah, and there were the obsessives over the Recon set (though TBH the Vidmaster cheevies weren't even particularly tough, save for Annual), but never at this volume. The mass stupidity pretty much always tied into the gameplay itself, though admittedly that's scarcely an improvement.

3. Run Resize Enable

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: June 10, 2016, 11:54:39 pm »

There are a ton of people bitching and moaning about the slow loot crate gain rate, about duplicates, about the loot boxes being sold for real cash, about a paid game having the option to buy cosmetics, &c. In other words, they're completely missing the point of cosmetics and treating them as if they're the actual goal of the game rather than a nice little bonus that slightly increases your aesthetic enjoyment.

Maybe it was just a difference of experience. The servers I played on were pretty much always really, really chill, though that might have been because it was primarily just a group of 20 or so regulars with plenty of active admins. Never really saw much in the way of rage or salt, and often the opposite, people complementing and helping each other get better. Except in the jailbreak server, but that's to be expected given that it was a jailbreak server.

I don't think I saw a single person playing CSS who seemed to be enjoying himself.
Shoes...

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: June 11, 2016, 12:32:14 am »

My opinion on CS is that its great to watch and terrible to play.

But maybe others just "get" it.

Edit: According to Master Overwatch I've played 19 hours of Reinhardt and I spent 5 of those hours on fire.  I don't think Master Overwatch's rankings actually count for that much tho, the score seems more about how much you've played rather than how well.  The win/loss data is good tho, that's one stat that always a good indicator.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2016, 12:46:16 am by EnigmaticHat »
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: June 11, 2016, 01:32:50 am »

CS:GO is terrible trash that nobody should ever be forced to watch or play. 1.6 and Source are the epitome of good tactical shooters.

Also a lot of the modded game modes are an absolute blast to play. I don't even know how much time I spent running zescape maps with like forty goddamn people laughing at all the fools who couldn't do the jumps and raging when I was one of the ones who was shaken through the incredibly buggy terrain-based vehicles. There were a couple based on LotR locations that were absolutely fantastic. Or that immense satisfaction when you were playing prisoner on jailbreak and managed to take out a dickbag guard.

I suppose it was sort of like TTT though, in that it entirely depended on who you played with, and could very easily be a retarded shitshow with the wrong sort of people in the server and abusive/absent admins.

3. Run Resize Enable

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: June 11, 2016, 03:18:26 am »

Out of the modern multiplayer FPS games descended from Half Life (i.e. all of them), I would say that counterstrike is the best of the pseudorealism branch, but I still really dislike playing it. It seems to me like the emphasis is on circumstantial advantage from positioning over emergent advantage from movement, if that makes sense. It feels similar to RNG, even if it isn't. The same underlying structure can be found in pretty much every FPS on the market, with its worst manifestation being the CoD style of just having a bunch of idiots wander around in a circle shooting each other in the back.

I think that's what disappoints me most about overwatch, the utter lack of interesting movement. Maybe the abilities in are just boring, or maybe it's impossible to match quake-like elements without the movement emerging from the physics engine. TF2 (which I will never stop comparing this game to) doesn't even really have much variety going on for movement mechanics, but what it has is versatile, dynamic, and challenging enough that it's miles ahead of anything in overwatch.

Could just be that I haven't played enough, but after a few rounds, all I really want to do is open up TF2 and go rocket jumping, or play scout, or anything really. Hell, I found myself getting nostalgic for wrangler jumping of all things, and I hate engineer. Pressing a button to dash in a direction or jump up in a canned arc feels so pathetic compared to the dozens of possible rocket jumps at any time, or even just the scout's double jump.

It also really doesn't help that I despise the aesthetics and characters. It's so sanitized I can feel my gut probiotics dying off by the millions. TF2's cartoony, and all the hats and garbage makes it difficult to get people to take seriously, but I've never felt like an overaged toddler playing it. Why did I make this thread?

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: June 11, 2016, 08:02:56 am »

Well, somebay12ers just tried to qualify in a tournament and got slaughtered :(
Update on this. The team we were first matched with absolutely #rekt us. Like, we didn't put up a fight. That said, they stomped two pro teams on the way to round five, where they were taken down by the eventual loser in the final round. Excuse the shitty music, but this is the team leader we were up against.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

choppy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: June 11, 2016, 08:13:09 am »

Well, somebay12ers just tried to qualify in a tournament and got slaughtered :(
Update on this. The team we were first matched with absolutely #rekt us. Like, we didn't put up a fight. That said, they stomped two pro teams on the way to round five, where they were taken down by the eventual loser in the final round. Excuse the shitty music, but this is the team leader we were up against.
To be fair to you guys though. That seems like they already had a 1000+ hours in the game before release. And the music does suck.

And as for CS:GO my experience with it has been like this. I was once kicked from a server for using an auto sniper for "being a Jew" which I have no idea why you get from one to the other. 
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 107