Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwaren eugenics  (Read 1277 times)

Urist Sonuvagimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwaren eugenics
« on: March 10, 2015, 04:42:32 am »

Looking through dwarves' description during embark, I've noticed, that expedition leader (male) and the miner (female) have vastly superior stats, than all the rest combined. Particularly, expedition leader has "sharp intellect/very tough" and miner had "agile/quick to heal/sharp intellect". The remaining dwarves got all their stats in red (clumsy, succeptible to disease, weak etc).

In my experince smart dwarves are less prone to pull off feats of stupidity, so a decision was made to separate the aforementioned couple in a room (full of food and booze) to have their relationship formed. However, I'm unsure how dwarven genetics works in 40.24, an the following questions arise:

Do positive dwarven traits such as "sharp intelligence" or "incredible muscles" get inherited by a baby if one or both of his parents posess such qualities? As such, would  letting  only superdwarves have children result in better "quality" children?

P.S: Just noticed - those two are relatives. Would the plan to make them have children still work?
« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 04:44:21 am by Urist Sonuvagimli »

aiseant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwaren eugenics
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2015, 05:27:25 am »

I've read somewhere around that the skills are calculated with a median and some maths, and that the median would be calculated with an average of mom and dad trait.

.. looking for the thread ... i'll be back

[BACK] There it is : http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=145474.0

My mistake, the conclusion "As it currently stands though, everything has fixed static values."

About being related, you can have a settlement on an island, so I don't think this is gonna be a problem.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 06:13:34 am by aiseant »
http://tenshedkadol.wordpress.com/

As a Urist McFrenchy, please forgive my english

Heck, only the elves would tame a leech. [...] Just for this, I'm starting up lead goblet production. Anyone who tries to sell me a tame leech deserves to die from lead poisoning.

Urist Sonuvagimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2015, 06:30:23 am »

I've read somewhere around that the skills are calculated with a median and some maths, and that the median would be calculated with an average of mom and dad trait.

.. looking for the thread ... i'll be back

[BACK] There it is : http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=145474.0

My mistake, the conclusion "As it currently stands though, everything has fixed static values."

About being related, you can have a settlement on an island, so I don't think this is gonna be a problem.

Thanks a lot! I was looking for that topic for ages.
Also, you mentioned island settlements. Does it mean the fact that two dwarves are related does not matter when deciding on a relationship?

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2015, 08:21:30 am »

Smart dwarves are not actually smarter in the game, no.

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2015, 09:12:40 am »

Smart dwarves

There is no such thing.
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

Eldin00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2015, 01:52:12 pm »

As far as being related goes, dwarves won't marry siblings. Any relationships beyond that don't affect marriage or childbearing at all. Dwarves do have to be close enough to the same age (within 10 years, iirc), and interested in marrying dwarves of the opposite gender to theirs, in order to eventually form a marriage which results in children.

Skullsploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2015, 02:22:21 pm »

Well according to Toady, attribute caps are inherited, therefore eugenics are theoretically possible. When I finally get time to actually do some testing on my turkeys, I'll defibrillate http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=148536.msg6038125#msg6038125 with results.
"is it harmful for my dwarves ? I bet it is"
Always a safe default assumption in this game 

Terff

• Bay Watcher
  • Indeed...
    • View Profile
    • What is the answer to this question?
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2015, 03:41:52 pm »

Prepare the QQ, the last thread that said "eugenics" got taken down by toady because some guy made an unnecesarily big deal about it,  anyways though I'd love to see how much of a difference it makes!  Would love to fill a fortress with super soldiers bred to perfection.
I need some way to put armor on babies so I can start training them early.
Quote from: Lectorog on August 06, 2013, 03:57:45 pm

A goblin siege!?  Good we haven't had one in awhile, we are running out of new clothes

Urist Sonuvagimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2015, 07:27:47 pm »

Well according to Toady, attribute caps are inherited, therefore eugenics are theoretically possible. When I finally get time to actually do some testing on my turkeys, I'll defibrillate http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=148536.msg6038125#msg6038125 with results.

Sounds good enough. Time to start my own little utopia!