Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 339 340 [341] 342 343 ... 451

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!  (Read 827316 times)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!
« Reply #5100 on: April 01, 2018, 08:00:04 pm »

He got a few details, particularly about the slimes, wrong.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5101 on: April 01, 2018, 10:13:10 pm »

He got a few details, particularly about the slimes, wrong.
Tbf he purposely get some things wrong for jokes. Don't take it serious, I like him since he digs into funny shit.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #5102 on: April 02, 2018, 12:40:36 am »

Welp. Just found out that Kevin removed the solar panel CBM today.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5103 on: April 02, 2018, 01:13:49 am »

Still not liking some of the new things that are happening with the game.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #5104 on: April 02, 2018, 01:29:03 am »

Yeeaaah. This is just the latest in Kevin's realism fetish crippling every aspect of gameplay. If he has his way CBMs will likely be just utter trash.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

§k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5105 on: April 02, 2018, 02:13:51 am »

I hope that failed install destroying other CBMs be removed. Any install that fails for more than 22% is useless.
All of them are wearing copper and Iron masks saying "in a time before time somebody attacked somebody"

Show undead posts since last visit.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5106 on: April 02, 2018, 02:20:13 am »

As far as I'm aware that can still happen, but they did remove the getting a random mutation when failing CBM installation.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5107 on: April 02, 2018, 09:44:14 am »

The message still mentions it (genetic damage) but I haven't seen it happen in a while.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

§k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5108 on: April 02, 2018, 09:45:45 am »

That's a good change, too. No need to strip all armor for random horn and hoof breaking things.
All of them are wearing copper and Iron masks saying "in a time before time somebody attacked somebody"

Show undead posts since last visit.

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5109 on: April 02, 2018, 11:56:35 am »

Yeeaaah. This is just the latest in Kevin's realism fetish crippling every aspect of gameplay. If he has his way CBMs will likely be just utter trash.
Man, I get (and share) your frustration with the development direction, but is it really necessary to make it personal?  It just makes you come across as petty.  Kevin came to this thread recently and shared his opinions, and while I probably disagree with many of those opinions, he did so in a reasonably polite way.   

My apologies in advance for my naivete, but wouldn't it be possible for someone (perhaps even you) to clone the "CleverRaven" repository and roll back changes like this you don't like? It seems like there are a lot of people not completely satisfied with the direction of the main branch, but of course everyone likes the bug fixes and QOL changes that come along with an active branch. How hard is it to keep up with the active branch while stripping out the stuff you don't want (Such as new gun accuracy, for example)?

Arbinire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5110 on: April 02, 2018, 12:05:42 pm »

Man, I get (and share) your frustration with the development direction, but is it really necessary to make it personal?  It just makes you come across as petty.  Kevin came to this thread recently and shared his opinions, and while I probably disagree with many of those opinions, he did so in a reasonably polite way.   

My apologies in advance for my naivete, but wouldn't it be possible for someone (perhaps even you) to clone the "CleverRaven" repository and roll back changes like this you don't like? It seems like there are a lot of people not completely satisfied with the direction of the main branch, but of course everyone likes the bug fixes and QOL changes that come along with an active branch. How hard is it to keep up with the active branch while stripping out the stuff you don't want (Such as new gun accuracy, for example)?

honestly I don't blame him for his frustration and "making it personal".  When everyone is telling you that you're wrong, that the changes to a game which isn't actually yours but a shared community project are universally hated, and you double down on making it hated by everyone...then expect petty behavior in response to your own petty behavior.  Kevin has exhibited a unique form of hubris and narcissism to every criticism of the direction he's going and instead of accepting that his ideas are bad, he tells everyone else they're wrong.  Someone else really does need to actively work on a branch that backtracks Kevin's horrible ideas, because that's exactly what they are.  Horrible ideas.

You can have the most graphically beautiful game ever made, or the most realistic systems ever devised.  You can have amazing writing, the best level designs conceived.  None of that matters if how the player interacts with the game isn't fun.  And Kevin's direction has absolutely none of those things.

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5111 on: April 02, 2018, 12:13:27 pm »

Except it kinda IS about Kevin. He's extremely OCD and its to the point where its crippled the game. I only keep up with CATA casually, and -I- know about it. Every so often it flares up into some huge fight and a developer leaves or (more commonly) just ceases assisting. They've long since given up on actually improving the game and have just gotten to the point where every single thing becomes about optimizing realism; except its not a realistic game.

And they'll incorporate items under the guise of realism, and when it is pointed out they make no sense from a realism perspective, will just kinda shrug - like Moose and wolves in the northeast running around in EVERY AREA killing people. Moose are dangerous, sure. But they are not broad-ranging animals running around all of the 13 colonies slaughtering people. I've lived in Western PA, Eastern PA, MD and NJ; you cannot run outside of your house in most of these areas and find Moose waiting to slaughter you. Same with wolves; wolves are not dangerous (or common) creatures.

Likewise, there are pretty amusing discrepancies with the weather; the whole thing feels like not so much the 'northeast' as much as it does 'what someone from the southwest thinks of the northeast'. Its gotten better in this sense over the years, to be fair....AND....those are old (and minor) arguments - but they are a good example of what I mean.

At the end of the day, issues like the solar panels, vitamins, dirty clothing - come down to that its Kevin's show. He wants to move away from CATA as a 'game' to cata as an ultra-detailed 'simulation' - and he has people willing to work with him on this. I disagree (many do) - but Kevin does have people who agree with him.

And until someone forks the project, it will remain Kevin's show, because only he has the free time, organization and vision to keep a team together; as much as I wish someone else would make an alternative fork. It might even be better for Kevin's version in the longrun, so long as it was done without acrimony, as an 'alternative perspective' seen in action can give people an alternative way of looking at things, so long as they borrow inspiration from each other.

I don't see any of that happening, but I do think CATA is essentially finished as a game. I mean, they still do stuff everyday, but its increasingly meaningless stuff, the equivalent of an OCD person like 'Monk' rearranging their office again and again.

Edit: In all fairness however, while I oppose them removing the solar panel CBM, and note they were cool from a gameplay POV, and oppose removing features that are good and provide something unique 'just because' - they were pretty silly. So, the opposing POV could be - wow, look how brave he is for 'maintaining a vision'. I mean, I don't HOLD that point of view, but you could reasonably argue it. Again, to be fair.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 01:53:22 pm by lastofthelight »

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #5112 on: April 02, 2018, 12:51:04 pm »

Most of the above points, yeah. Kevin has, over the years, made it extremely difficult to be polite and impersonal about. The way I've put it, a "realism" fetish, is a bit vitriolic but it is also accurate. Kevin seems to act like he's forgotten that CDDA is a game, and that a game needs good gameplay.

You may object to the tone that, but how else do you expect me to word that in a way that gets the point across? It's blunt, but it also accurately describes the way Kevin disregards basically the entire community, even his own fellow developers and contributors.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #5113 on: April 02, 2018, 04:13:53 pm »

Like Daimiac said
wouldn't it be possible for someone  to clone the "CleverRaven" repository and roll back changes like this you don't like? It seems like there are a lot of people not completely satisfied with the direction of the main branch, but of course everyone likes the bug fixes and QOL changes that come along with an active branch. How hard is it to keep up with the active branch while stripping out the stuff you don't want (Such as new gun accuracy, for example)?

TBH I haven´t played Cataclysm in a while, in no small measure because over the years it has become a more obscure and less friendly game (I have a custom hacked-together mod to provide myself with more "friendly" custom starts). It might be that my perception is because of these "realism" changes (though TBH I like some of them. Like "our monsters fight each other" thing, which is nice and widens the sandbox nature of the gameplay). But... I see much gnashing of teeth about this Granade guy´s direction, but little in the way of alternatives, with the possible exception of Coolthulu´s fork (not updated in over a year now :/ ). So the whole thing is a bit sterile
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

kulik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5114 on: April 03, 2018, 08:09:08 am »

I'd like to point out that he insist only on realism when it concord with his vision of the game. He argued that you can swing-hit-and recover with a two by four faster than shoot with an already raised sidearm at a point blank range, better yet, that you'll most likely miss the center of mass if you don't aim carefully. ...anything but realistic.
I opted for playing with marksmanship and all firearms skill at 10 just to be able to hit a broad side of a barn.
Pages: 1 ... 339 340 [341] 342 343 ... 451