Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 216 217 [218] 219 220 ... 451

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!  (Read 825377 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!
« Reply #3255 on: April 26, 2016, 10:07:14 am »

Idk, the problem with the game atm isn't that the start tends to be slow,
For me it is. I get bored of having to spend an hour hunting for basic survival tools. I get even MORE bored of spawning in small four-five houses towns in the middle of nowhere and get eaten by wolves. Yeah, I'm sure that by starting as X and doing Y and Z you can minimize the risk of that happening. But I'm not about to bother. That's why I made myself this thing, so that each game is fun (to me)
its that once you get to a point where you have a working character up that can deal with most things, there's not much to do after. You can travel around, get yourself a nice vehicle, install tons of CBMs and mutate yourself to high hell, but there's no sort of super end game thing or challenges to do.

I feel this could be made better by following the general tendency of the cataclysm, IE of things getting worse as time goes on. Not only with scarier zombies etc, but an extra element of danger, like portals opening up in certain places, spawning hard to fight creeps and that can only be shut down by destroying a certain creature or thing. I also feel there should also be some sort of incentive for players to go and destroy fungal towers, triffid groves and etc.
Agreed on this part to an extent, though. THere's stuff to explore (and there's danger in exploring. Particularily with high-tier zombies.). But yeah, the world is too static right now.

id love it.  id love to see real progress on the war of three or factions running around with guns or anomalous areas
I'd like more interaction/activity between triffids, fungals, goo, and the netherum.
The netherum in particular need more loving. Right now they're too much random monsters.

By the way: I think the arcana mod is great.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 10:08:57 am by ChairmanPoo »
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3256 on: April 26, 2016, 11:55:05 am »

Part of the issue with enemies getting stronger is that not everyone can reliably make themselves stronger at the same rate.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3257 on: April 26, 2016, 12:16:47 pm »

My view is very much in line with Covenant's. I often pick high risk high reward types of start such as unwilling mutant, shower victim and failed cyborg to extent the early game, since thats the most fun part. In my current save, I'm fully decked out in low encumbrance armor lined with kevlar, wielding a nodachi with a cutting weapon skill of 11. I can take Zombie Hulks on melee and kill a horde of 300 zombies by myself without much issue. The only real threat to me now are NPCs with guns, tank drones and some creeps with special powers (IE amigara monsters).

The only reason I keep playing is the challenge of building a good vehicle to travel around in and finding more CBMs, mutagens and books so I can became even more overpowered and craft a bunch of stuff I haven't actualy messed with yet, but there's no real challenge other then finding the stuff I want and the joy of exploration.

If the enemies got stronger and my character was more focused on brainy things, then maybe you'd actualy have an incentive to craft some things apart from just armor and weapons and maybe invest on an actual base. Right now there's no real reason to build yourself a non mobile base, because if you get away from towns and other once inhabited places, its unlikely you'll ever be accosted by anything bigger then a wolf and the ocasional bear (which is far weaker then a zombie brute). Enemies don't have to get stronger per se, but more, different threats should come up, at least.

Right now, you're basically exposed to the same level of threat you get at the early game. This is a twofold problem because this means that you can get steamrolled at the start really easily, but you're basically invincible if you get strong enough to deal with most threats, making both stages feel unsatisfying in their own way.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 12:18:35 pm by TempAcc »
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #3258 on: April 26, 2016, 12:46:43 pm »

I think it'd be nice if there were perks and dangers to non-mobile bases, yes. As it is now, it's not particularily dangerous (as you say, unless you built in a triffid or fungaloid-rich area,you're set. Some bear or something might spawn. That's about it.), and they're not particularily good either (what's the point in building a farm when it's easier to roam the countryside in your deathvan scavenging resources?
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3259 on: April 26, 2016, 12:52:10 pm »

npcs.

hopefully territorial, gun toting, toll-booth having, bandit raidening, barricade building npcs will help that out
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #3260 on: April 26, 2016, 01:00:56 pm »

Thing is, I don't like NPCs all that much :(

I mean, I can accept and understand them having a role. But I'd rather have zombie hordes, fungal and triffid expansion, and the netherworld horrors, becoming more tangible threats for sedentary players.

Adragis

• Bay Watcher
  • Edgelady Supreme
    • View Profile
« Reply #3261 on: April 26, 2016, 01:02:41 pm »

Thing is, I don't like NPCs all that much :(

I mean, I can accept and understand them having a role. But I'd rather have zombie hordes, fungal and triffid expansion, and the netherworld horrors, becoming more tangible threats for sedentary players.
Same, although less 'a threat' and more 'a challenge that doesn't go away and leave sedentary players bored'.
I think that's what you meant tho :p
thincake

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3262 on: April 26, 2016, 01:08:30 pm »

It'd be nice if the NPCs actualy were more prevalent though, because zombie hordes, triffids and all that jazz are ok, but they're basically the same enemy when shit gets down.

Normal zombies, triffids and fungaloids are pretty much the same thing with slightly different stats. It'd be nice if there were more enemies that did things other then ~shamble towards the player in a group and try to get in melee~. It'd be nice if there were enemies capable of doing other things, which is why I find NPCs to be fun, since they can carry guns, explosives, use martial arts (I think), carry decent melee weapons and all that jazz. It'd also be fun if NPCs went around on vehicles, too. Imagine walking into a town and seeing a bunch of NPCs parked near a grocery store, loading up their van and then taking off with what they looted while running over zombies.

Stuff like blockades, NPC bases, wandering psychopaths and etc are all pretty cool, IMO. Also, enemies should maybe react to the player. If you have, say, taken over a farm far from the closest town and are cultivating food like nobody's business, this should probably/eventualy attract the attention of some NPC faction who would prob try to take it from you or negotiate, at least.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3263 on: April 26, 2016, 01:17:46 pm »

It's been said before. We need proper factions before all else.

Xardalas

• Bay Watcher
  • Being bored and stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3264 on: April 26, 2016, 02:47:49 pm »

Has the spawn rate of npcs changed at all? Last time I messed with em was a year ago. It seemed like I'd stumble across bundles of em every damn place I went and I wasn't sure I really liked that at all.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #3265 on: April 26, 2016, 02:53:38 pm »

That's part of the problem. I'd rather have static npcs spawning (and not too frequently) in static sites, like zombies.

EG: have them spawn in refugee centers, and LMOEs. Armored basements...

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3266 on: April 26, 2016, 03:29:25 pm »

Just turn their spawn to the lowest setting. Works for me.

Covenant, do you have welding goggles?
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3267 on: April 26, 2016, 04:24:22 pm »

I usually set dnamic NPC spawn to like... 0.05 or 0.5 if I feel like seeing them once a playthrough

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3268 on: April 26, 2016, 04:33:11 pm »

Was the torch out of fuel?
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Xardalas

• Bay Watcher
  • Being bored and stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3269 on: April 28, 2016, 03:05:03 pm »

For whatever reason I can't seem to pull up the cata wiki. Does anyone know off the top of their head what a electric car needs to run?

I found a intact humvee that runs on diesel and three working electric cars. I was thinking of building the solar panels inside of the humvee on the roof nad letting all of that lovely military composite armor protect it all. I've never actually built any vehicles in Cata before though.
Pages: 1 ... 216 217 [218] 219 220 ... 451