Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 162 163 [164] 165 166 ... 451

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!  (Read 825705 times)

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!
« Reply #2445 on: October 22, 2015, 11:38:34 pm »

Well, theres (I)nspect, and the advanced movement menu thing may have a thing. Also, that one website that shows most of the stuff...
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2446 on: October 23, 2015, 12:54:33 am »

Humans are squishy. Even a tshirt and jeans can provide some protection for your skin.

Adragis

• Bay Watcher
  • Edgelady Supreme
    • View Profile
« Reply #2447 on: October 23, 2015, 01:02:11 am »

Zombies seem to be just whacking you anyway; so it's just gotta block s punch.
thincake

Tnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2448 on: October 23, 2015, 01:06:44 am »

Do hordes still spawn on the fringes of a base if you live on the second story?  Say an office tower?

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2449 on: October 23, 2015, 03:12:02 am »

Yeah try biting or clawing through a T-shirt with your fingernails. It's not terribly easy with just one layer, let alone a jacket or something sturdy.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2450 on: October 23, 2015, 09:50:07 am »

Realistically, a t-shirt probably wouldn't give you much defense from something trying to kill you, even if it's only using its body. T-shirts are relatively hard to tear through because they're cloth with give, but they also have basically no padding to them. You can pretty easily tear skin open through a T-shirt long before the shirt itself gives way.

Jeans, though. Jeans, chinos, khakis and other strong-weave clothing items actually have some protective value. This is partially because they're thicker, which means more padding and therefore more distribution of force (even if it's only a little bit better than a T-shirt, it's still enough to make a difference), and it's also because they're built to be really, really hard to damage in the first place. With a thick, strong pattern and, in the case of jeans, rivets at key points to hold better than thread, these kinds of clothes can weather the storm and help you weather them, too.

As for the relative lack of value of armor, perhaps there should be some more enemies that have ways of dealing with dodging? Dragons with breath cones comes to mind, but I'm not sure that kind of fantastic element would fit. Unless it was some kind of tailored mutagen or something.
Nothing important here, move along.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2451 on: October 23, 2015, 12:27:42 pm »

I remember back in whales version, you could become invincible with enough hoodies.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2452 on: October 23, 2015, 02:09:47 pm »

As for the relative lack of value of armor, perhaps there should be some more enemies that have ways of dealing with dodging? Dragons with breath cones comes to mind, but I'm not sure that kind of fantastic element would fit. Unless it was some kind of tailored mutagen or something.
Since there are mutant zombies anyway, a zombie with some kind of breath weapon wouldn't be too outlandish. Corrosive liquid that is enough to get through cloth but not proper armour (no idea how feasible this is)?

EDIT: I guess there is the spitter zombie already, but I was thinking of something that did not leave puddles, or very few, on the ground and instead just attacked in a cone, making it harder to dodge.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 02:17:19 pm by Teneb »
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Werdna

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2453 on: October 23, 2015, 02:31:06 pm »

I always wondered, who would actually go to the considerable effort of making genuine leather armor in a zombie apocalypse, when every house would typically have many hundreds of square feet of bite-proof carpet lying around?  I want me some shag-rug pauldrons, dammit!  :)
ProvingGrounds was merely a setback.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2454 on: October 23, 2015, 03:37:37 pm »

Thats a good point, although I dont think that most houses spawn in with carpet yet...

Carpet armor... Thats an awesome idea...
Highly Opinionated Fool

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2455 on: October 23, 2015, 06:29:50 pm »

Moar Stuff! I approve of that.

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2456 on: October 23, 2015, 08:55:47 pm »

Carpet armor... Thats an awesome idea...

They will have to add drape armour as well then...so the carpet can match the drapes... :P
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2457 on: October 23, 2015, 09:08:26 pm »

Just add the option to make capes out of drapes. Sure, it's not really a practical thing to wear, but when you're decked in carpet armour, you're not really caring about such things.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2458 on: October 23, 2015, 09:45:58 pm »

There are no drapes. There are sheets.
Highly Opinionated Fool

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2459 on: October 25, 2015, 12:26:05 am »

Yeah try biting or clawing through a T-shirt with your fingernails. It's not terribly easy with just one layer, let alone a jacket or something sturdy.

Definitely true; I should have specified that it feels odd from a balance perspective rather than a realism one. Invariably, by the time I'm ever in a place where I can afford to specifically seek out or make actual armour, I don't need it any more because my dodge skill or offensive options are high enough that it's just no longer necessary. I haven't gotten around to trying it yet, but I suspect removing the protection value of regular clothing might provide a good early reason to craft and use things like leather armour, as well as making things a bit more exciting in small-scale fights in the early game.

Unless things have changed a LOT since I last played, armour is pretty essential. I've played runs as a dandy wearing only fancy clothes and it was hard. Oh, I could rip through zombies like nobodies business, but I was still super fragile while doing it. The Dodge skill can only be trained to 3 easily and even reinforced clothing can only take a few direct hits before losing any meaningful armour bonus. Plus, IIRC, you only get a few reaction dodges per turn without dipping into martial arts. Fighting more then one zombie will still let one land a hit or too. Something like a leather duster or trenchcoat might take respectable, but those take as much effort as leather armour anyways. You can shrug off most smaller hordes of normal zombies with a smattering of the weaker ones, but the HUGE hordes, like you see in malls, will wear you down. And brutes, hulks and bio-operators will beat the shit out of you regardless. But where armour REALLY shines is bullets. Wearing reinforced survivor armour or a reinforced MBR vest compared to a reinforced trenchcoat over a reinforced dress shirt is the difference between getting your torso health halved or reduced by 1/3 and potentially instakilled[Albeit only if you're REALLY unlucky. Usually you end up at : or \ torso health instead] in one turn. Without special bionics, you can't dodge bullets. Mid tier armour can't stop them like power armour can, but it can mitigate them by a noticeable margin. You might be right in that leather armour and the other low to mid tier armours need a bit of a buff, especially since you're giving up trenchcoat storage for them.

Although it should probably be noted that I usually go full melee and use only shotguns and grenades for emergencies. Adding high powered rifles might change the above by a fair bit.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling
Pages: 1 ... 162 163 [164] 165 166 ... 451