Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 111 112 [113] 114 115 ... 451

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!  (Read 824976 times)

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!
« Reply #1680 on: July 13, 2015, 05:57:48 pm »

Glass jaw is there because if I'm taking enough damage where it can kill me it would have jumped my pain high enough that I would be basically comatose already.  Glass jaw just gets it over with faster.

Glass Jaw is basically free points until you start running into people with guns. The lack of Glass Jaw, with decent armour, can make the difference between getting instakilled or not and being able to retaliate or retreat.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Noblaum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1681 on: July 13, 2015, 06:43:05 pm »

I tend to go for scavenging/engineering characters, then set up shop in a fire station when going into town. Invincible metal doors are very useful so long as the zombies haven't broken the winches. Plus the firefighter gear is good for damage protection and there's usually enough sets that you can repair the one you're wearing. The constant clanging if zombies are outside can be irritating, though; I usually put an obstacle next to the metal door and open and shut it so the zombies just line up to get crushed.

On more advanced characters, I take a hazmat suit and an electrohack and break into a missile silo. It's good to have the ability to nuke stuff on hand, especially if there are Fungal Blooms or something similar spouting hordes of zombies along the main roads. Fortunately I'm absolute crap at driving in Cataclysm (I once got into a car, somehow in near-perfect condition, backed it through a the garage wall, and got out when it was lodged in the bar just behind the house) so I can just walk around the craters it causes.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1682 on: July 13, 2015, 07:03:33 pm »

I always ... nightvision
Out of curiosity, how long have you been playing the game?

A very long time. Why, do you not know the wonders of never having to fight a zombie at night and being able to kill anything with a gun at night? Also easy early game basement raiding and one step closer to perfect night vision mutation.

Also, purging an area of fungal oils is a pain in the ass. I have to use scorched earth tactics to stop the bastards from spreading. I slept in a swamp, then I had to burn down the swamp. Do trees grow back?
« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 07:14:52 pm by Micro102 »

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1683 on: July 13, 2015, 07:48:14 pm »

Forget a gun, you can just use freakin *rocks* at night (but ceramic shards and metal chunks seem to be better, stock up!).   And it's always a pleasant rush when a mutation increases the night vision range, then you can really rock and roll...

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1684 on: July 13, 2015, 07:54:43 pm »

Re:Trees grow back?
I don't think so.  Unless you manage to lure a Trifflid queen into the area.  But then you will have less swamp and more impenetrable jungle anyway.

I just learned a valuable lesson.  Remember to always install 5 point harnesses in your super heavy armored zombie pancake machines. 

While it was amusing to smash the car into a shocker brute at 70 mph and watch it continue on to smash at least 3 more normal zeds while skidding sideways, It would have been far more enjoyable to have been in the car when it was doing it instead of being splayed out on the asphalt with 140 pain in a hostile city.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

ShinQuickMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Mook
    • View Profile
« Reply #1685 on: July 13, 2015, 11:02:31 pm »

Also, does anyone else try to min max their guy? I've found going really bad day tweaker to be nearly impossible, so I stick to shower victim and can still reach 12 in each Stat and full positive traits. What do you guys do to min max? I always take fleetfooted, nightvision, and robust genetics.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

TLDR: Int 20 Dex 6 Per 7; Str (varies by scenario/profession) Shaolin Adept (Dragon Kung-Fu),Trigger-happy, Wool Allergy, Insomniac, Weak Stomach, Animal Discord, Lightweight, Heavy Sleeper, Bad Hearing, and Truth Teller (if playing with NPCs on) or Smelly and Clumsy (if otherwise) traits; Mall Cop or Burning Building + Failed Cyborg start/profession.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 11:06:44 pm by ShinQuickMan »

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1686 on: July 13, 2015, 11:20:48 pm »

Hmm interesting, what's your strength?

ED:  Huh, interesting, in something with lots of points like Lab Challenge you could have 13 Str with that Int 20 Dex 6 Per 7 and still have enough points for night vision and robust genetics on top of the Martial Art.  Only 7 Str as Evacuee Failed Cyborg, you really still take all 20 Int there? Or you do without night vision/genetics for 10.   Hmmm, I'ma give those a whirl when I get a chance...
« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 08:53:16 am by gimlet »

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1687 on: July 14, 2015, 07:43:57 am »

I quite frequently leave cha/dex at 8 then get about 14 int and strength.  Usually i'll buy a skill or good start as well and max out negative traits on things like :trigger happy, truth teller, poor hearing: and similar not too debilitating things.
Nom nom nom

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #1688 on: July 14, 2015, 08:40:45 am »

For any of my characters I plan on having live longer than the starting conditions (so pretty much anything other than bad day scenarios) I always get a minimum of 12 Per, because I've lost far too many characters to unmarked minefields, particularly when it's a combination of mines I can't see and not-mines that I can.

Beyond that, I usually aim for 12s on the other stats as well. For games I plan on focusing on melee, Str gets the rest of the points, otherwise they're split between Str, Dex and Per.
Traitwise, I almost always take Quick, Fleet-footed and nightvision. The rest of the pos and negs I vary pretty widely on. Same for starting scenarios.
I do usually pick up a level in archery and survival for my longer aimed characters, as well as melee and dodge if I've got the points to spare.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1689 on: July 14, 2015, 10:03:13 am »

I always kind of wondered how people do that where they plan to use certain builds.  I usually put 9 in all stats just because I don't know what will be viable first.  Will I find a baseball bat in an early house?  Welp looks like this char is gunna melee.  Find a basement gun stash early?  Welp looks like this will be a rifle char.  Crossbow?  Welp.

While my current character did cheat a little, since mutations don't seem balanced point wise vs everything else for starting traits. I found a crossbow and some bolts early, and by the time I found any other decent weapon, the char was so good with a crossbow there didn't seem to be a point in switching.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1690 on: July 14, 2015, 10:41:24 am »

I mean, 12 str and a cudgle which you can make straight out of the shelter is an excellent melee weapon, I tend to personally go for high int though and attempt to kinda skip the early game via book finding/lots of reading.
Nom nom nom

ShinQuickMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Mook
    • View Profile
« Reply #1691 on: July 14, 2015, 10:50:26 am »

Hmm interesting, what's your strength?

ED:  Huh, interesting, in something with lots of points like Lab Challenge you could have 13 Str with that Int 20 Dex 6 Per 7 and still have enough points for night vision and robust genetics on top of the Martial Art.  Only 7 Str as Evacuee Failed Cyborg, you really still take all 20 Int there? Or you do without night vision/genetics for 10.   Hmmm, I'ma give those a whirl when I get a chance...

Nah, I myself don't spend points for night vision/robust genetics. I'd rather sink any spare points from professions/starts into strength. I used to take robust genetics, but I find more immediate need of that extra Str rather than some ease in mutations later. Not to mention that I leverage that starting Int and Str with the strengths and weaknesses of the unpurifiable Post-Thresh Slime mutations (which, by the way, I highly reccomend with max-Int builds), making Robust Genetics even less mandatory.

I always kind of wondered how people do that where they plan to use certain builds.  I usually put 9 in all stats just because I don't know what will be viable first.  Will I find a baseball bat in an early house?  Welp looks like this char is gunna melee.  Find a basement gun stash early?  Welp looks like this will be a rifle char.  Crossbow?  Welp.

It really depends on starting location. Like, that build I have works really well in Mall starts, which greatly rewards those heavily invested for melee damage. Conversely, that same build in a wilderness start could suffer greatly; low dex and no starting points in combat skills means you'll get your ass kicked if you run into a dodgy monster like, say, a giant wasp (yet, oddly enough, be more than capable of handling a moose or a bear).
« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 10:52:05 am by ShinQuickMan »

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #1692 on: July 14, 2015, 11:06:10 am »

As long as I have non-penalty stat levels, I can usually survive long enough to get to a safe place. How well the stuff I find lines up with my intended build determines how aggressive I can be from there.
Melee only for a ranged build? Kite everything through bushes/fire.
Large amounts of firearms and ammo for a melee? Can either burn the ammo sniping and get skill to a point where the less than great stat doesn't matter so much, or just have the fallback shotty be a bit more useful.

Either way, at that point I can pick and choose where I attack to give me better odds of finding preferred weapons.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1693 on: July 14, 2015, 11:24:52 am »

Of course, if you are in a world where you can get to your old characters loot-lair easily, then it's easier to do the whole "build" thing.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #1694 on: July 14, 2015, 11:31:02 am »

I'm a firm believer in one character per world. (Multiplayer aside obviously.)
Pages: 1 ... 111 112 [113] 114 115 ... 451