Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 240 241 [242] 243 244 ... 451

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!  (Read 825882 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!
« Reply #3615 on: August 08, 2016, 02:40:16 pm »

Slowness, particularily when holding down movement keys
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3616 on: August 08, 2016, 05:02:43 pm »

We could easily make more basements.

Problems:

-Nobody wants to take the time to.
-Some are C++ made rather than json built, limiting who can make them
-Players would only learn which ones are crap and which arent
-The ones we have now are by and large generic.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3617 on: August 08, 2016, 08:16:43 pm »

With large amounts of screwing around with teleportation, its closer to 30% basements, of which 1 in 20 have no way down into them.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #3618 on: August 08, 2016, 08:34:48 pm »

Is it possible to obtain aluminium ingots? I want to reinforce my heavy-duty flashlight and lighter for a beautiful line of ++, but I can't find any ingots to do so.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3619 on: August 08, 2016, 08:36:14 pm »

Take apart heavy flashlights, iirc.

I think vibrators might, but at size 2 and like zero weight they might literally be a plastic hunk with some wire and battery.
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3620 on: August 08, 2016, 08:43:44 pm »

It all depends on what version of house it decides to spawn.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3621 on: August 08, 2016, 08:56:04 pm »

The basements provide a reason for the average survivor to go raid houses.

Not all of us start out as drunk naked alcoholics in a burning building at midnight in early spring in the middle of massive cities, just me :O

Those who have a day to sew armor and make weapons have no real reason to otherwise visit houses.  Theres better places to get everything you can find on the ground floor of a house.  Houses are jack of all trades, and for my naked hobo backside its a necessity.

And then theres the group who believe CDDA is too 'survival orientated' instead of roguelike and ADAM-like.  You know, back when moose stalked city streets, when acid rain murderated everything all spring, and when the intro was 'this is how you died...'

So finding a basement of guns is a boon to fast play, and even long-term survivors benefit from more guns and ammo.
PKs DF Mod!

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3622 on: August 08, 2016, 09:19:04 pm »

Increase the ratio of boring basements to valuable ones, and lock ones with guns and such.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3623 on: August 08, 2016, 09:47:39 pm »

The ease with which you can get large supplies of guns and ammo from basements makes gun shops being locked/secured rather pointless, though.

And I know all about being a naked hobo. My standard start is shower victim evacuee, surrounded start, no skills. If I can run through the horde and reach civilization before I freeze to death, I consider myself lucky. But that just emphasizes how useful houses are in such a scenario - nearly everything in them is useful. Particularly clothes, at that point. There's a great charm to breaking into a house, quickly blocking the door with a bookcase or two while you hurriedly changed into whatever mismatched clothing you can pull out of the dresser, and then jumping out the window and dashing down the street to the next house hoping to find a hammer, frying pan, or something altogether not terrible for smashing heads with.

Eschewing that in favour of entering your first basement and finding guns and enough ammunition to just blow apart anything that may be chasing you... that doesn't sound like it benefits fast play - to me, it sounds like it destroys it.
i used to, back in 0.C.

that cold yo

but, with a shelter start, your best best is to take a level in tailoring and maybe fab or archery.

-smash a locker, grab pipe and steel chunk
-smash benches with pipe, grab nails.
-craft nail hooks until level 1 fab, throw nail hooks to level 1 throw.
-close curtains, tear down, butcher the stick
-craft wood needle, craft hand wraps until lvl 1 tailor
-decon long string, craft arm warmers to lvl 2 tailor
-with lvl 1 fab, craft 2 shoulder straps.  wear them.

-with 2 tailoring, the time/xp ratio of sewing slows down dramatixally, which is why i suggest a point in tailoring

-craft 2 cotton hats, then cargo pants, then boxer briefs (25 min a pair) until lvl 3
-@ level 3 sewing you make footwraps and go find leather for boots.  and vambraces.

-with lvl 1 fab, craft shoulder straps until level 2.  then lvl survivor or something until nightfall.  then finish up watever warmth you need and go to town under nightfall, prioritizing a flashlight and boots and a working car.

-tips:
  -make a bow or slingshot.  leather belt can hold a sling or slingshot.
  -if you dont have combat skill, kite zwds with your running and replace clothing with their filthy drops.
  -you REALLY need a flashlight or night vison to do this.  or be like me and know the game mechanics.
  -makeshift crowbar lacks block.  make a nailboard  or use a 2x4 instead
 -lighting a house on fire provides warmth, crafting light, and attracts local zeds.  they may leave their loot for you after the fires die
  -guns wont save you from a horde.  an 8shot shotgun will kill 4 zeds or 2 survivor zeds before needing reload
« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 09:54:18 pm by pisskop »
PKs DF Mod!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3624 on: August 08, 2016, 10:07:47 pm »

well, if you had a lighter id say you could light the basement doors on fire and wait down there while the fire rises up a zlevel and consumes the horde, the loot the bodies not under rubble :d
PKs DF Mod!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3625 on: August 08, 2016, 10:58:23 pm »

well.  forgive me.  im used to fielding questions about optimal play and complaints about the impossibility of my own mod; and starting one step below bad day challenge only makes it worse.  its akneejerk almost :o

Basements are built into over 90% of houses.  we should be locking up guns (a law in my New England state) and either jsonizing the basement layouts or modding the c++ to have more variance
PKs DF Mod!

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3626 on: August 09, 2016, 05:35:49 pm »

So, after a lot of unsuccessful attempts at playing an archer I must ask, how viable is archery in this game? I feel the arrows don't do enough damage.

((Btw, I use stable))
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3627 on: August 09, 2016, 05:42:53 pm »

At low levels and using low level arrows, they are better used for training or killing wildlife.  Or kiting single zombies.

At high levels?  they are silent, made of metal, have armor piercing, can be explosive in rare occasions, and can crit for absurd damage.

So.... at low levels I would also bring a melee weapon and maybe a gun.

At high levels youre the bloody green arrow.

What your str and dex is, what arrows you use, and what bow you use matter quite a bit though.
PKs DF Mod!

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3628 on: August 09, 2016, 06:20:49 pm »

What stats would you recommend me to have? Those things are hard to raise outside of character creation so I want to get those right off the bat. I thought perception was the important stat in archery though because of its importance in aim.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3629 on: August 09, 2016, 06:22:04 pm »

iirc optimal archer in multipool was 10, 14, 8 10

or something like this.

More str than per, dump int, and prioritize agi
PKs DF Mod!
Pages: 1 ... 240 241 [242] 243 244 ... 451