Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104 105 ... 451

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!  (Read 825183 times)

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!
« Reply #1530 on: June 28, 2015, 12:47:54 pm »

Who said the head needs to go inside the barrel in one piece? A human head can certainly fit inside even a 40mm barrel, with enough force.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1531 on: June 28, 2015, 01:26:39 pm »

Actually, I'd think that the entire drone would be pulled towards you, assuming you weren't dragged towards it. Would make an interesting mechanic, to, say, yank a turret next to you instead of having to approach it turn by turn, or pull in manhacks that are trying to run away.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1532 on: June 28, 2015, 01:31:05 pm »

It woudl be really cool if NPCs could establish visitable bases with functions, and possibly drive vehicles. more dialogue as well would imo make the game more organic and replayable.

ShinQuickMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Mook
    • View Profile
« Reply #1533 on: June 28, 2015, 01:44:14 pm »

It woudl be really cool if NPCs could establish visitable bases with functions, and possibly drive vehicles. more dialogue as well would imo make the game more organic and replayable.

Considering their insane reactions to...  everything at the moment, I'd prefer that NPCs don't drive cars until they prioritize self-preservation above all.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1534 on: June 28, 2015, 02:09:10 pm »

Yea I'm really not sure whose self preservation this example had in mind, but I recall an NPC trying to hold me up with a slingshot or something equally absurdly harmless when I was a super bionic lizardman with a combat shotgun with an aux flamethrower.  Self Preservation is not their strong suit.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #1535 on: June 28, 2015, 03:22:41 pm »

I think a threat assessment of npcs would need to be in effect, being able to determine if the "enemy" it sees is actually going after them or someone they want to guard, if not then isn't a threat, if the enemy is a threat then find out if it is faster then them self or the guard target, same rule applies. I haven't fully tested the latest npc behavior though to determine just how smart they are, I probably should.
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1536 on: June 28, 2015, 03:41:27 pm »

All I know is the best NPC interaction I ever saw was some poor dumb sod empty 4 uzi clips at a squirrel, then get pissed off, throw the gun at the squirrel... brain the squirrel and then stalk off in a huff.

If moments like this are wrong, I won't want to be right.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1537 on: June 28, 2015, 03:46:37 pm »

My favourite NPC interaction was probably when an NPC shot a monster that was about to kill me in my sleep. The gunshot woke me up and I promptly accepted her quest as a thank you.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #1538 on: June 28, 2015, 04:12:48 pm »

That is another point, why does every npc have to have a quest for the player to do? Why not the npcs ask things like "hey lets trade our map info" or "do you know where the nearest refugee shelter is?" at which point your allowed to bring up a cursor to point them in a direction. Of course you could just point them the wrong way strait into a zombie horde and possibly see them sometime later with them being angry at you.
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1539 on: June 28, 2015, 04:44:02 pm »

Not every NPC has a quest. Some just want to shoot you and steal your loot.

As an answer to your question, all NPC's have to serve a purpose. An NPC just bothering a player and just asking for map directions is a bit pointless.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1540 on: June 28, 2015, 04:46:57 pm »

An NPC bothering the player for map directions while offering to provide additional map data on the other hand is very useful.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1541 on: June 28, 2015, 06:20:07 pm »

Most NPC's after the Cataclysm are going to be fairly pointless. They are there to run slower than you.

Nuttycompa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1542 on: June 28, 2015, 08:15:14 pm »

For those who want NPC progress

http://smf.cataclysmdda.com/index.php?topic=10417.0

Get hype!

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1543 on: June 28, 2015, 08:27:38 pm »

For those who want NPC progress

http://smf.cataclysmdda.com/index.php?topic=10417.0

Get hype!

july 3rd? do you think that's gonna be the date of the next stable as well? this seems like a big enough feature to mandate it

azmodean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1544 on: June 28, 2015, 08:51:00 pm »

There's no such thing as a mandated release.  Releases happen when I have enough time to do them.
I don't think Jesus died from thorns being pushed into his brain. RTFA
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104 105 ... 451