Advanced search  

Poll

Pick one.

Gobs
Elves
Dwarves?
???

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: The Planet of Dragons (Which really don't exist) - Handmade strangefort  (Read 17561 times)

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
Re: The Planet of Dragons (Which really don't exist) - Handmade strangefort
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2015, 09:41:32 am »

PART 3: River Fortress

Rakust Rakustnefek sat atop the wagon, watching the river snake through the canyon below.  The sight was exceptional.  Good place to set up a quiet river settlement far away from the prying eyes of the top Brass (har har).

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

He contemplated how difficult it was to obtain funding for this expedition, what with the war going on against the Unthinkable Immorality.  Few were willing to sponsor a scientific research outpost that offered no strategic benefit whatsoever; it was merely the goodwill of the late king Lor that got them through.  And now he’d just received late news about the fall of Twinkledmined – a central military facility of the Brass Bells, their home civilization.  He sighed.

Well that's their problem; we're here to do some science.  The wagon suddenly ground to a halt, and Rakust rose from his seat.  They had arrived.

Fifteen minutes later, the supplies of the Light Hatchet were spread out over the ground.  Their raw supplies mostly consisted of tower-cap logs, tetrahedrite ore, and some sphalerite, in honor of the great Dwarven inventor. 

A temporary forge was set up, and from the flames four copper picks were forged.  Rakust had carefully selected a professional party of dwarves.  It didn't take long for Meng and Sodel to discuss their plans, and together they struck into the earth.  Meanwhile, the carpenter Tun wasted no time in assembling the first batch of furniture.

Onul Gusgashgusil, who was rumoured to have survived for a month on cactus needles in the True Desert, started to scour the landscape for plants with ruthless efficiency.  With his help, the party would not require farms of any sort; Rakust feared doing so would risk upsetting the finely-balanced ecosystem that was crucial to his research.

On first sight, the biological diversity of the site seemed very promising.  Rakust bewilderedly bears witness to the dogs chasing after a fully-grown hippo, who escapes panickedly into a nearby murky pool. 

Soon, the bedrooms and dining rooms were up.  Rakust had spent hours finalizing the layout plans with the miners, but both parties agreed that the final result was rather satisfactory.  Thankfully without running into any aquifers.

The horses had to go unfortunately.  Otherwise they were just walking alligator bait.

Over the course of the next few months, he notes significant climbs in temperature around the surrounding region - the pools have begun to dry up.  It appears that they were going to be subject to some severe seasonal variations throughout the year.

Soon, more dwarves would arrive at the site; that he had no doubt.  The lure of a stable existence in these trying times would ensure a constant supply of hard-working dwarves, all eager to work and build the very projects he had envisioned back at the mountainhomes.  But for now, the seven were content in the cozy existence they had carved out themselves within the slopes of these mountains.  For now.

And thus ends my turn :) That was fun, thanks for the opportunity!

Btw, can I make a suggestion?  Post a list of established forts and their latest statuses on the first post, so that we dont have to savescum to figure out which fort is doing what when reclaiming.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 12:35:45 am by Bearskie »

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2015, 01:15:53 pm »

I thought for sure that Twinklemined would stick around a little longer since they were right next to the main Human town and had made some trade arrangements with them.  Unfortunately, although the Fisher-Queen of the Brass Bells lived there, I guess the humans still saw them as "dirty dwarves."  No worries. I'm sure a human adventurer from that very town might eventually go out and claim the site from the local goblins.
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2015, 04:57:31 pm »

With his help, the party would not require farms of any sort; Rakust feared doing so would risk upsetting the finely-balanced ecosystem that was crucial to his research.

"finely balanced"

Now where exactly did Rakust get his degree again? :P

That's a beautiful embark, I love those river canyons!

(finally found the save and am starting now)
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 05:02:14 pm by Salmeuk »

xominxac

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Bookkeeper
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2015, 06:00:15 pm »

(finally found the save and am starting now)

I'll try and keep an updated link to the save on the first page,

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2015, 08:43:26 pm »

Hehe.  It was mainly just an excuse to do a no farming embark, given how op herbalism is atm + retiring makes hoarding food less significant.  Besides, the war dogs are already doing a fine job of massacring the local ecosystem.

I would like to direct your attention to the first page to appreciate the new, and the improved material. 8)

Dayum, that's a fine first post.  Love the detail man.

The spoiler tag for Legends mode Twinklemined & Sealgraves is off though, aaaand I just edited Inod's gender (sorries).
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 10:30:18 pm by Bearskie »

xominxac

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Bookkeeper
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2015, 09:34:54 pm »

I would like to direct your attention to the first page to appreciate the new, and the improved material. 8)

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2015, 01:04:54 am »

that first page is amazing!

I will have my turn completed tomorrow morning (GMT -8), I hope that isn't past the limit. If it is, well, I'll just take the next slot :P

xominxac

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Bookkeeper
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 10, 2015, 01:31:13 am »

I will have my turn completed tomorrow morning (GMT -8), I hope that isn't past the limit. If it is, well, I'll just take the next slot :P
You're good, gauging on when you started you have till almost 3 PM to get things done. Also, remember, it doesn't have to be a year or anything. Whatever you do will be fine.

The spoiler tag for Legends mode Twinklemined & Sealgraves is off though, aaaand I just edited Inod's gender (sorries).

Whoops! I knew I was bound to get something wrong. Eh, that's what happens when you spend 6+ hours writing. I think I now know how writers feel.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 10, 2015, 12:19:04 pm »

Dwarven civilizations, while on friendly terms with one another, were particularly competitive. When it came to glory through war, skill, or wealth, fortresses were highly aware of the accomplishments of other civilizations and possessed a fierce intent to override them. This was manifested in all sorts of subterfuge and shady political dealings, as well as placing great stress on the individual leaders of each civilization.

On the Planet of Dragons, these facts stood very true indeed.

Stodir Lasheddreamed led a civilization of dwarves known as The Letter of Rasps. While having only reigned a few years, Stodir had become a powerful leader and respected warrior. She wasn't happy, however.

Stodir brooded constantly over a sister civilization known as The Severe Dike. Edem Workglazes, her rival, managed to outpace her and her fortresses in nearly every way. From the production of metal and wood to the skill of craftsmanship and battle, The Severe Dike proved superior.

Stodir was all too aware of this. This time, though, she felt she had found her chance to raise the glory of her land and citizens. Edem Workglazes had chosen to settle a distant island volcano some years back, calling it Snarlgild. Reports from later caravans indicate that the fortress had quickly fallen to the beastial terror of the land - clouds of pure evil that turned the dead into moving abominations.

Stodir had recently discovered a similar island to the one Snarlgild had been founded on. Complete with a volcano, the island presented a perfect opportunity to outdo Edem Workglazes. She ordered an expedition sent to colonize the land around the caldera known as The Ash of Jokes, but in her haste and excitement forgot to state the importance of the expedition.

Seven dwarves of average skill and ability given meager tools and rations found themselves on the back of wagon, destined for a mountain almost 6 months travel from the homes they left.

The night of arrival, Goden saw a shooting star. After he described how it was like a flaming arrow flying through the night sky, we all decided to call this place Boltflames.

For the next few days we carved a few small rooms from one the mounds of earth surrounding the lava.

Into these we moved our supplies and had begun to equip it with a stockpile of logs when our miner spotted something moved beyond the caldera. Something huge.

The dwarves dove into the little cave they had created (there wasn't even a door yet!) hoping whatever that beast was wouldn't notice them. Luckily, their plan worked and after a few hours of anxious waiting the axedwarves left the cave and reported no sight of a beast or creature.

Progress was swift and only a few weeks later both a small farm and a much larger crafts floor were excavated and put to use. Door were shaped and bed carved. Trees were felled and the logs hauled back to the fortre- OH GOD WHAT IS THAT THING?! IS THAT A PANGOLIN? SOMEONE GET MESTTHOS.

The axdwarfs were given freshly-crafted shields and told to go take care of the threat. They soon returned, wait, no, where's Morul?

Mestthos just shook his head and collapsed in shock. We went to the scene of the fight, discovering that Morul had been heavily injured by the undead pangolin.

His skull was torn, a vicious cut running from his right eye to the back of his ear. We took him back to the rooms, leaving the now-halved pangolin corpse to rot. None of us was familiar with even the slightest medical procedure, and no source of fresh, untainted water had been discovered, so Morul's forecast looked grim. We began to dig a borehole into the deep earth, and but carved a casket just the same.

A day went by, then two. Morul was looking pale and desperately need fluid other than alcohol, we just needed to strike the water, just to find the liquid, the fresh, clear liquid, a lake of it or even just a pool. . .

REJOICE! Our miner came rushing up his hastily-carved staircase, a frothing bucket of lakewater clutched in his hands. Morul saved, the casket was put aside and the ale was opened. He has a long way to go, but perhaps with time he might awake yet again.

---

I might post one more in the next few hours, otherwise I'll post the save.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 12:55:06 pm by Salmeuk »

xominxac

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Bookkeeper
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 10, 2015, 01:49:55 pm »

Edem Workglazes had chosen to settle a distant island volcano some years back, calling it Snarlgild. Reports from later caravans indicate that the fortress had quickly fallen to the beastial terror of the land - clouds of pure evil that turned the dead into moving abominations.

Wait wait, what? When did this happen? Is this a thing or simply a rumor the mountain homes made as an excuse to send out a group of dwarves to yet another volcano?

Desisoltar, "Snarlgild" = Alive

Unless something happened during your turn, Snarlgild should be alive. Also, I don't know about the dead, but the clouds turned the living into moving abominations.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 01:54:07 pm by xominxac »

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 10, 2015, 02:57:41 pm »

Here is the save.

Edem Workglazes had chosen to settle a distant island volcano some years back, calling it Snarlgild. Reports from later caravans indicate that the fortress had quickly fallen to the beastial terror of the land - clouds of pure evil that turned the dead into moving abominations.

Wait wait, what? When did this happen? Is this a thing or simply a rumor the mountain homes made as an excuse to send out a group of dwarves to yet another volcano?

Desisoltar, "Snarlgild" = Alive

Unless something happened during your turn, Snarlgild should be alive. Also, I don't know about the dead, but the clouds turned the living into moving abominations.

That part of the story hadn't reached the civilization quite yet, and they only knew of the first, failed attempt.

xominxac

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Bookkeeper
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 10, 2015, 03:56:31 pm »

That part of the story hadn't reached the civilization quite yet, and they only knew of the first, failed attempt.

Whew. All right then, nice work! Unless a new person comes out of the blue we're going to start over turn wise.
Anyone want to go again or should I go ahead?
« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 06:41:59 pm by xominxac »

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 10, 2015, 07:44:06 pm »

Queen Stodir is from the Severe Dikes?  :o Darn, I must've made a mistake then, thought she was from the Brass Bells.

Nice update - a reanimating biome? Oh boy.

Anyone want to go again or should I go ahead?

I'll take the turn after you if nobody new decides to have a go.

« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 12:46:48 am by Bearskie »

xominxac

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Bookkeeper
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 11, 2015, 12:44:11 am »

(If you can guys, write down the days when the fort is either unretired/settled and retired/crumbled/destroyed/vaporized. It would make it easier for me when writing things down regarding the forts.)

Wow, only year 5 and already 19 wars, 17 of which are still going on. Pretty busy for such a small world.

Also, no guarantee Sealgraves will survive during my turn. Not only have goblins launched another attack (failed, Rakust Tombfancied killed one of the 3 attackers) but elves are now at war with "The Brass Bells" and have also attacked (failed, a dog killed one of the 5 elves who attacked  :P).

Starting my turn now.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 12:47:11 am by xominxac »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6