Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 16

Author Topic: Gender stuff - Let's try this again  (Read 16215 times)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: Gender stuff - Let's try this again
« Reply #45 on: March 06, 2015, 08:27:07 pm »

I think if the only way to prevent a thread lock is to make rules against discussions, it's probably a sign that the topic isn't going to work.
Shoes...

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #46 on: March 06, 2015, 09:14:33 pm »

I think if the only way to prevent a thread lock is to make rules against discussions, it's probably a sign that the topic isn't going to work.
This.

Religion threads work because people are genuinely interesting in hearing about what other people believe,  and so on. We get problems when people decide that they are correct and everyone else must conform to their ideals. Which is pretty much all that ever happens in a gender thread.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 06, 2015, 09:20:54 pm »

I have a question - does anybody really think that, by page 4, we haven't already gone through all the doomsaying arguments? I'm willing to bet Helgo's aware of what you're claiming. If you think it's a problem, report the thread and move on silently.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 06, 2015, 09:26:42 pm »

On the whole topic of thread stability, I disagree that stilfing desscusion in any way is likely to actually be the end of the thread. Despite what someone has posited earlier in this thread I'm pretty certain that the religion thread that did best and ended most peaceably did so because it had a set of fairly draconic rules and was run by a pretty serious christian who didn't allow any dissent or even real conversation in the thread.

I'm not sure what people expect out of this thread, or even what it's for totally for but if the goal is a stable thread that is a good place to talk about gender I'm pretty sure that stifling rules will help it at least stay afloat.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 09:32:12 pm by Criptfeind »

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure theirs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 06, 2015, 09:34:05 pm »

LOLFAIL
Spoiler: original stuff (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 09:42:43 pm by 4maskwolf »

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 06, 2015, 09:35:54 pm »

« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 05:06:17 pm by penguinofhonor »

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 06, 2015, 09:37:22 pm »

LOLFAIL
Spoiler: original stuff (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 09:43:05 pm by 4maskwolf »

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 06, 2015, 09:38:28 pm »

You're so vain, you probably think this post is about you
You're so vain, I'll bet you think this post is about you
Don't you? don't you?

Leaving aside 30 year old song lyrics, I wasn't talking about any religious thread you may or may not have run.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 06, 2015, 09:39:31 pm »

You're so vain, you probably think this post is about you
You're so vain, I'll bet you think this post is about you
Don't you? don't you?

Leaving aside 30 year old song lyrics, I wasn't talking about any religious thread you may or may not have run.
Erm...

I ran one of the more recent religion threads that was known for its draconian ruleset, so it was a logical assumption.  To which are you referring?

Are you referring to this one, which reached 53 pages and ended peacefully?

OHHHHH you're talking about Cryxis Prince of Doom's aren't you lolz.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 09:42:00 pm by 4maskwolf »

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 06, 2015, 09:46:12 pm »

Dunno mate. Can't recall all the various threads, and remembering names is far past my ability. I just recall that a very long lasting and peaceful thread was cause by the fact that no discussion could be had. And no, it wasn't yours.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #55 on: March 06, 2015, 10:21:02 pm »

Maybe he's talking about k33n's one.
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #56 on: March 07, 2015, 01:19:39 am »

There was a religion thread in the distant past that made it to two hundred pages. Maybe he's thinking of that? The alternatives are it being Cryxis's or Orange's, and neither bans discussion (although Cryxis did threaten to lock every time it got flamey).

Anyway, is anyone going to express a conflicting opinion? We've made it to four pages without anything other than variations on "people are people".

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #57 on: March 07, 2015, 01:52:06 am »

I'm tempted to post my take on the whole gender thing but I also remember my promise to not do so.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 07, 2015, 03:44:49 am »

I'm not as tempted to take on the whole gender thing. I think it's just not hugely important, and likely to become very much less so in the near future.

Though I suspect the transition is likely to result in a great deal of female unhappiness, as they have the most to lose from the loss of traditional western gender roles. Men will generally benefit, as a lot of the expectations placed on them will start to go away, while at the same time it will become easier for them to get what they want without having to jump through hoops for it.

The biggest winners however, will probably be gays, transgenders, and other people generally caught in the middle of gender issues. Because people will start to completely not care about them at all, which will make their lives a whole lot easier. I suspect some will be unhappy about the loss of their cultural identity, but for the most part that will be made up by losing all the drama and anger and fear that goes with it.

"Hello, Mrs. scary religious nazi conservative person. I'm gay."

"Dear, I just caught my son in his VR headset in a scenario that involved at least twenty tentacles and some sort of space amoeba. At least you're attracted to humans. Would you care for some tea?"

"Umm, yes, tea would be nice, thanks."

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 07, 2015, 06:20:49 am »

Fuck, people, the first serious breech of thread rules and it's while discussing another thread? The previous page or so provides great examples of what rules two and three are meant to prevent.

Locking this up for a day or so - I'd better get into the habit sooner than later.

EDIT: Unlocked the thread. Round two - ding!
« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 08:07:02 am by Helgoland »
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 16