Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 262

Author Topic: If Bay 12 was a fortress Part 3: RETURN OF THE CHAOS  (Read 232906 times)

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
  • likes dragons for their fiery breath
    • View Profile
Re: If Bay 12 was a fortress Part 3: RETURN OF THE CHAOS
« Reply #120 on: March 31, 2015, 09:36:35 am »

-date unknown-

Wolf has been trying working with metal, said he had been trying to figure out magic runes. When I learned this I lept apoun his notes like a wild animal.

I did some experiments of my own, and discovered a rune for "activation by touch"
Of course, me being who I am, I immediately Tryed something.

A took and made a little piece of iron, that I could hold in my hand.

The runes I inscribed, when placed together,  say.

"When activated by touch wait five seconds then create burst of fire all around"

I touched the rune and felt power move from myself, and from the earth around me. Then I threw it.

When the timer rune ran out there was...well...a small burst of flame, nothing major, I was hoping for an explosion but still! Progress! The "device" I guess you could call it was warm but unharmed, so there's that.....

Hehehehe....with amperzand working on tech and wolf and I on magic, we are going to have a lot of fun.

Later maybe we can combine our work for some hardcore magitech!

Anyways I got art to make. I'm decorating things!
Kids make great meat shields.
I nominate endlessblaze as our chief military executive!

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: March 31, 2015, 03:02:16 pm »

Blaze got my matchlock, he's trying to get it to not suck, and I told him to keep the charge at about a third of what I used, unless he likes spraining his entire torso.

The masons I convinced to help me have been building a nice little fortress around the entrance, and I have the miners terraforming the hill a bit so we have better line of sight.

I'll need to get a really tall tower, or a secondary installation on the mountain.

I found a couple alchemists among the latest group of migrants, spent a few hours talking things over with them. They seem a tad disgruntled I don't know how to make lead into gold, but making brimstone and very old urine into something worth a lot of gold seems pretty pleasing to them, so I have mass-manufacture running for black powder, and I dug out a nice storage room for it. Thin roof, thick walls, thick doors, and there's a layer of water between the inner walls and the rest of the Mountainhall.

The fort mechanics have been working with me on the flintlock mechanism, and if we can get that online it'll do a lot for functionality, though the chemists'll do the real work, in the end. Percussion primers are straight better.

Rifling, revolving cylinder loads, minie ball casting, higher-strength powder, cannon.

I figured out how to get a cannon to fire explosives without detonating them. Finally, I don't know why that was so hard.

Black powder grenades, ineffective, clumsy, cheap, terrifying.

Handguns. I've got the smiths and the mechanics making a batch of thirty or so little flintlock revolvers, three shots, short barrel, destructive as hell what with using the same half-inch Minie ball slugs as the marksman rifles I've got in the works.

Blaze and Wolf are making some strange stuff, runes with real power. Blaze nearly blew himself up with a charged rock.

Percussion powder would be unnecessary if we had cheap sparker runes, write a little glyph on the stiff wax-paper cartridges we're using already for measurement, set them to detonate on contact with a different glyph on the spring-loaded bolt... Not optimal, perhaps, and I'd rather avoid magic I don't understand, but this could accelerate my work by decades!

{@Endlessblaze; Ah, well, that's also an option. XP. Sorry, Maskwolf, but you weren't fighting in the battle, were you?}
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: March 31, 2015, 03:47:23 pm »

((when I said a weak burst of flame, I meant very weak flames, in a short quick burst, said burst the size of my hand, so no I did not nearly blow myself up. of course if this is not a mistake by your OOC self but rather an intentional  difference carry on))

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: March 31, 2015, 04:14:26 pm »

{Intentional exaggeration by my IC self. Also, if you were anywhere near the powder store at the time, well...}
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: March 31, 2015, 06:42:06 pm »

((BTW I have been wondering.....do we belong to a civilization, or are we just our on civ in and of ourselves? what's our symbol and name? would you like me to suddenly realize we don't have one and call a meeting?))

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: March 31, 2015, 07:15:46 pm »

{I assume we belong to a civ, but names and such are good. I'd like to get agreement from a few people before setting anything in stone, though.
As an afterthought, we can always become the Mountainhome ourselves, in good Deathgate tradition, especially with black powder armament and runic magic.}
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 07:56:25 pm by Amperzand »
Muh FG--OOC Thread

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: April 01, 2015, 09:34:33 am »

-date unknown-

Busy, busy busy.....

Outdoor fort section being built.
Working on my metal crafts, and art.
Filling request.
Studying runes.

So much to do so little time! Not to mention how I have to have time to relax, otherwise.....well.....let's not go there.

One of the Falcons we got from the elves has taken a liking to me. Likes to sit on my shoulder.

The goblin we captured is doing ok, we have not yet got much info from him, but I gave him a pen and a journal, he seems happy enough to write (I keep my notes and rune studies far away from him so he won't figure out how to escape with a piece of paper)

I did however learn his name is "reiron lashsinger" and that he is from the stormy death. Capital of the black nation. He likes scourges, sun berries, dogs and adventure stories.

He is a good writer I will give him that, I looked through his journal and most of it was stories. With a few dreams writen down. Only a little of it details his own thoughts and his curent situations.

He does not show much interest in escaping, but I got my eyes on him...

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: April 02, 2015, 02:58:54 am »

Blaze captured a goblin. Not exactly sure why, but hey, if we can get some use out of the poor bastard...

The dwarves don't use cast metal very much, but I convinced the smiths to set it up, and, well, there's a very, very hot cannon barrel being finished off as I write this.

The cannon has a bore about eight centimeters across, walls about two thick, and quite a nice ignition system if I do say so myself. We're testing it once it and the first few pieces of shot cool down.

We'll want more. And howitzers. And grapeshot canisters.

Can I make an autoloader? Machineguns would be very useful, if I can... Probably not. At least not yet, not before we have bolt-actions figured out. After that, maybe.
Muh FG--OOC Thread

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure theirs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: April 03, 2015, 09:58:38 pm »

{Really sorry about not posting recently I'm hellishly busy both with forum stuff and non-forum stuff}

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: April 03, 2015, 10:09:52 pm »

{Hey, I was in the same position up 'till a couple weeks ago. Now I just have three forum thingies and an ongoing robotics project.}
Muh FG--OOC Thread

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: April 03, 2015, 10:19:31 pm »

-date unknown-

sooo....tired......
I have got all my request filled (finally)
I have made statues, I have made tables, I have engraved art into the metal (I wonder if I could apply that to engraving on walls?)
the outdoor entrance place is done.
 I have had some dwarves set up all sorts of basic traps. though no massive bay12 style over elaborate deathtraps yet....remind me to get a pit set up.
cage traps are scattered out in the fields, and at the entrance.

I have done some more research into the world.....there is a currently living breeding pair of dragons......those cage traps had better work.

anyways im going to go to bed now so-

...oh.....crap...........give me a moment to call the rest of the military.....they are not going to like this....

-date unknown-
(the pages are shriveled in some places from drops of sweat)
ok work.....work....work.....faster faster....ampersand is busy, the other miners are to scared to do this......

the military is right behind me, I myself am fully geared up...

im not letting this just happen......

come on come on......

need....water....

-date unknown-

caverns breached, cage traps set in the access tunnel.

too soldiers flank the tunnel's entrance on the carven side. another too with me. there is the webs.....

-date unknown-
the silk is woven, a few dwarves enter the carven at times. when the curiosity gets the better of them. there all fine though. patrols are set. there are soldiers at the tunnel at all times.

his parents are grateful...he will make it....

I tell them its nothing. they disagree, but whatever...I have not been able to sleep right these past few days...maybe now I can...finally...
(the writing trails off into nothingness.)

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: April 06, 2015, 01:04:06 am »

{Incidentally, I apologize for my suddenly terrible posting rate, my turn in a succession fort just came up. I'll be back to normal in a day or two.}
Muh FG--OOC Thread

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #132 on: April 07, 2015, 10:48:25 am »

Edit: Sure, Amperzand.  Just wanted to join.  I'd be glad to go with whatever's going on, but no explanation was given in the first post, so...  I'm not sure what the explanation is.  Oh, just got it.  No explanation is the explanation!

From the Journal of James Woodward, Displaced Human:

Whoa!  This place is just like Dwarf Fortress!  I'd better get a skill, and fast, if I'm going to survive in a fortress.  Maybe engraving, or crafting, or gem cutting, or a farm - no.  As a DF'er, I know that novice farmers (not growers) are some of the first to get drafted/put into cleaning/hauling duty.  Especially if I'm a milker or something useless like that.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 10:04:06 pm by jwoodward48df »
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: April 07, 2015, 02:44:18 pm »

{Sorry I keep shooting this stuff down, but I think I prefer the "How the devil did this happen" state of affairs. Also, pure code cannot do that. Maybe some kinda crazy hardware, but code? Rip suspension of disbelief.}
Muh FG--OOC Thread

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: April 10, 2015, 07:17:08 pm »

((eh....lets not do that))

-date unknown-

ahhhhh......well now, it looks like he finished. its a robe. yes a robe......a very cool one, this thing has gold opal and its  is even adorned with chains.....MADE OUT OF PURE RUBY! JUST HOW?! well whatever. silk and gems. its valuable. did i mention there is an image of a dragon on it? I wish it had wings but whatever.....

timmy is happy with it. its a bit big for him but he will grow into it.

-date unknown-

the cage traps on the surface and in the caverns gave us some return today.

a GCS and tiger.

we have a trainer working on taming them right now. and a few builders are setting up a tower for the GCS. its moving fast, turns out we have a lot of dwarves idle at any given time, but not enough that it negatively impacts anything.

I asked reiron if he would be willing to write a few stories for the library. he agreed because "its not like I got anything better to do while stuck in here" so yhea. short stories of awesome battles and adventures. there comparable in length to some of the stories threetoe would write for coming up with new ideas for the game.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 262