Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Wizardry: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord (1981): Second Level  (Read 10579 times)

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile

Welcome to Wizardry, the seminal first-person dungeon crawler RPG! I will be attempting, as best I can, to play through the game, manual open and sheets of graph paper at my side. This game is notoriously difficult, and there will be much death. You, Bay 12 forumites, shall be my characters. We'll get to that in a minute, though.

Here is first screen of the game, the castle. Here we can see a few places in town, which represent menu options. On the bottom of the screen is the list of members currently in our adventuring party- it's empty. Gilgamesh's Tavern is where adventurers who aren't currently in the party hang out (it also contains the option to inspect character details). The Adventurer's Inn is where you can rest and heal, and also level up. The Temple of Cant is where you can get party members resurrected- for a price. Unless somebody is leveled up or has really nice stats, we aren't going to bother resurrecting them. Boltac's is the trading post where we can buy arms and armor, and sell them back for half price.

Going to the edge of town shows us the remaining menu options. The important ones are the training field, where characters are created, and the maze, where characters are killed. So, let's create a character, shall we?

Your race determines your base stats (not random). Quoth the manual:
• Humans excel at nothing, but have no particular weaknesses, except for a
decided lack of piety.
• Elves are intelligent and pious, but not very robust. They excel at intellectual
pursuits, and are excellent spell-casters.
• Dwarfs are strong and hardy. They love fine weapons and armor and delight in
a good fight.
• Gnomes are pious and agile, probably from praying under-ground during
earthquakes. Due to their ascetic traditions, they make excellent Priests.
• Hobbits are agile and very, very lucky. They are a happy-go-lucky people, and,
with the right training, become superb thieves.

You also have to choose an alignment. The important thing to remember is that good and evil characters can never be in the same party. Some classes also have alignment requirements: Thieves cannot be good, Priests cannot be neutral, and of the four prestige classes, Lords must be good, Samurai may not be evil, Ninjas must not be evil, and like priests, Bishops cannot be neutral.

Here you see my base stats, just for being a dwarf, and my bonus points. I can assign my bonus points for a 1:1 ratio (this is long before third-edition style point buy curbed minmaxers, remember). Stats do, however, max out at 18. You can see I have 9 bonus points, it's possible to get up to 18 but I've only seen that happen once.
• Strength affects your skill in combat.
• I.Q. and Piety influence your ability to cast and resist spells.
• Vitality affects your ability to withstand damage.
• Agility helps you avoid attacks and open treasure chests.
• Luck comes to your aid in many mysterious ways.

You can see that I've dumped almost all of my points into strong, dwarven muscles beard fibers. I also put a point into agility, why not. Now you can see, on the right the available classes for my character. I can only choose Fighter, because my character is strong and every single class has a stat requirement.
• Fighters need 11 strength.
• Mages need 11 I.Q.
• Priests need 11 piety and may not be of neutral alignment.
• Thieves need 11 agility and may not be good.
• Bishops need 12 I.Q. and 12 piety and may not be neutral.
• Samurai need 15 strength, 11 I.Q., 10 piety, 14 vitality and 10 agility and may not be evil.
• Lords need 15 strength, 12 I.Q., 12 piety, 15 vitality, 14 agility and 15 luck. They must be good.
• Ninjas need 17 in all their statistics, and can only be evil.
The descriptions from the manual are rather lengthy so I'll summarize: Fighters hit stuff. Mages learn spells as they level up, and cast them using spell points. Thieves can fight a little and are your best choice for getting hit with a poison needle trap, or at higher levels, not getting hit with a poison needle trap. Priests heal and resurrect. Bishops get spells from both the Mage and Priest lists, but they seem to start out with only mage spells, IIRC. Samurai are fighters who eventually get mage spells, Lords are fighters who eventually get priest spells, and Ninjas just kick ass while unarmed and unarmored, as well as getting the Thief abilities to not get shot by a poison needle trap. The Lords and Ninjas can ONLY be attained by changing character class later in the game.

I've now finished my character, Sensei the Good Dwarven Fighter, and added him to the party. You can see he has an Armor Class of 10 (worst possible, with best possible being -10) and 8 out of 8 hit points (everybody's starting HP count). I'll get him equipment later.

So for now, we'll need a full party of characters (I can boot Sensei out of the party if need be). The manual strongly recommends that you start with the following party: Two fighters, two mages, a thief and a priest. We could probably replace a mage with a bishop or something too, or if we're really lucky someone can be a Samurai instead of a fighter. Lastly, remember that good and evil characters cannot adventure together, so we should agree on an alignment for the party. Only Lords and Ninjas HAVE to be good or evil, so your call- thieves and fighters can easily just be neutral, unless they're aspiring to be those prestige classes.

So, to join the adventuring party, simply state your:
-Character name
-Race
-Alignment
-Desired class/prestige class

I can make characters even if the party is full. Let's try to get that two fighters, two mages, thief and priest build going!
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 04:15:30 am by Sensei »
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile

Tawarochir.
Elf.
Neutral.
Mage, of course.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Broken.
Gnome.
Good.
Priest.

This will be fun.
In a hole in the ground there lived a dwarf. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a dwarf fortress, and that means magma.
Dwarf fortress: Tales of terror and inevitability

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hanzoku
Elf
Mage with designs on Bishop later
Good

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Neotetsu
Human
Good
Warrior with intent to Samurai or LORD if needed.

I think the only class that outright gets outdated in this game is the Warrior... either that or I don't remember what the Warrior does better than anyone else.

-Bishops: They can also identify objects and I think MAYBE uncurse them. Though they aren't "as good", I think, as priests or Mages at their own game they make an excellent third caster.
-Samurai: Get high critical rate and I THINK unique equipment.
-Lords: They are also basically "Better then the warrior in everyway". The Lord is the only reason Warriors get outright outdated. Don't get me wrong, Warriors kick butt!
-Ninjas: Ninjas also get one hit kills and unique equipment. I don't THINK they are as good as thieves in disarming traps.. but I think later on that matters less.

Mind you I am basing this off future games...
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 02:08:32 am by Neonivek »

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Gibbering Idiot +5
    • View Profile

-Character name                  Kaosian
-Race                                  Dwarf
-Alignment                          Neutral
-Desired class/prestige class Thief all the way.
So! Failed to make peace, war looms, kill the infidels... what are our plans for the weekend?
The Giant Moles in the caverns of my current fort breed like crazy, even while regularly being decimated by other beasts entering them...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I relooked it up...

-Warriors can be best thought of as the best "Overall Melee Fighting Class" and can use the vast majority of items
-Samurai can one hit kill, not as well as the Ninja, and have almost no selection of items they can use, but most of the stuff they can is unique to them.
-Ninjas can one hit kill more often and have Ninja only weapons that pretty much define their role... They are back fighters, but they are ok in the front.
-Lords are basically like Paladins who are tanks. Don't expect them to dodge attacks though. I think in this game they are "better" then warriors but I might be confused.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Haha, special Ninja equipment? No sir, in this game, Ninjas fight buck naked and get stat bonuses for doing so.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Haha, special Ninja equipment? No sir, in this game, Ninjas fight buck naked and get stat bonuses for doing so.

Yeah I remember that.

Later games they become basically the archers of the gods!

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Time to form the party!

Tawarochir got 8 bonus points, which I dumped forthright in Intelligence. We have our first mage!

Broken got 7 points, most of which went into piety, and a little into luck. DnD gave me a habit of striving for even numbers, even though I don't know if Wizardry works that way. We now have a priest.

Hanzoku got 8 points as well. It's enough to qualify him for a Bishop straight off the bat, although he can't max out his intelligence or piety like he would in a single class.

Neotetsu showed excellent performance on the training field, luckily getting 15 bonus points! Sadly, that's still not enough to be a Samurai or Lord yet (I think you have better chances of starting Samurai if you're a dwarf).

Kaosian gets 8 bonus points and narrowly qualifies to be a thief, because his short, stubby legs give him a base agility of 5. At least he has average strength and vitality to make up for it.

Including myself our party is two warriors, a mage, a bishop, a priest, and a thief. Not bad.

Before we depart on our journey, we'll all need gear from Boltac.

When we pool our gold, we have 952 GP in all; that's enough to get decent armor for all the fighters, since mages don't start with any expensive equipment.

I take a Long Sword, a Large Shield, and a Breast Plate. Because I'm lavish like that. Broken gets a staff, and chain mail. As a priest, he can use some better stuff, but he shouldn't be on the front lines.

Tawarochir, being a mage, can't use most items- he gets a humble staff and robes. Hanzoku, our bishop, gets an Anointed Mace and Leather Armor, which is the best he can wear. Neotetsu, being our best fighter, gets to splurge on an Anointed Flail, Breast Plate and Large Shield. Finally, Kaosian gets leather armor and a short sword, the best things he can use as a thief.

Now that we've all got our gear, I'll equip it and reorder the party. Here's a very important thing to remember in combat: Only the people in the first three slots can engage in melee fighting. That means that the warriors have to go in front, and the mages are safe in back. As far as I know there's no non-magic ranged combat in the game at all, but you can cast spells from any row.

This is what our party looks like now! You'll notice that Neonivek and I have an Armor Class (AC) of 3, which is pretty much the best you can start with (remember that lower is better). Kaosian is a little vulnerable in the front row, and I might move Broken into that slot if he gets too wounded- but for now he's going to be in front since there's nothing he can do from the back in combat.

Next time, we venture into the dungeon! Can you guess who will die first? If you can, maybe I'll cheese the game and farm new recruits for money to buy you a magic weapon. :P

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
Re: Wizardry: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord (1981): Forming the Party
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2015, 06:02:28 am »

My money's on Kaosian. Squishy frontliner goes squish.

-Taffy
-Gnome
-Good
-Fighter/Lord
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2015, 09:34:10 am »

-Lords are basically like Paladins who are tanks. Don't expect them to dodge attacks though. I think in this game they are "better" then warriors but I might be confused.

Lords are better, but you can't start with them (well, you can with massive luck, but who cares) and upgrading is pretty painful
you lose all your levels, and resets your stats to your race's baseline.

Also, i think i will die first.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 09:39:34 am by Broken »
In a hole in the ground there lived a dwarf. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a dwarf fortress, and that means magma.
Dwarf fortress: Tales of terror and inevitability

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2015, 09:47:25 am »

The first level or two, the back rows are still fairly safe. Someone in front needs to go down before they get stuck in the fighting. I'll go for Sensei himself, since this game is brutal and takes no prisoners.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2015, 11:28:01 am »

I just realized that I totally played a browsergame ripoff of this.

Huh.

This is going to be... excellent.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2015, 01:31:56 pm »

Oh hey, are you going to play this hardcore on the levelups? Because it's entirely possible to have levels where you gain one HP and become worse at every single stat.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 05:25:50 pm by Hanzoku »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4