Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 29

Author Topic: Dragonball Z Xenoverse. DBZXV-XYZPDQLMNOP. Bay12 Force, Assemble! *pose*  (Read 56245 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

DBZ is one of those guilty pleasures from my teenage years I still enjoy. The last DBZ game I played was Budokai on the PS2, so, when I saw this available today I had to reflex buy.

Being that I haven't played the series in a while, I'm sure there's lots of features that are standard that I'm unaware of. Here's the Steam feature list.

DRAGON BALL XENOVERSE revisits famous battles from the series through your custom Avatar, who fights alongside Trunks and many other characters. Will the strength of this partnership be enough to intervene in fights and restore the Dragon Ball timeline we know? New features include the mysterious Toki Toki City, new gameplay mechanics, new character animations and many other amazing features to be unveiled soon!
Features
CUSTOM AVATAR – Players create their very own Dragon Ball character to take their place in the Dragon Ball world! Choose Earthling, Majin, Saiyan, Namekian or Frieza Clansman and start battling!
NEW LOCATION - A once dormant clock has started to tick again in the enigmatic and futuristic Toki Toki City!
NEW CHARACTERS - Mira, an android trying to become the strongest creature in the universe; Towa, a dark scientist coming from a demonic world; The Supreme Kai of Time, a deity who appeared 75,000,000 years ago and her companion bird Tokitoki, a very powerful lifeform that can produce time!
THE MASTER SYSTEM - Choose an original Dragon Ball character as a Master to train under. Your skill set and training excersizes will vary depending on the Master you choose. Your Master may even suddenly appear in battle to assist you!
STRONG IMMERSION - Inspired by one of the most famous series ever created.
IMPROVED GAMEPLAY - Expeience a new, fast paced, and technical battle system.

As a bit of a downside it's already got Day Zero DLC and is going the Season Pass route. It'll bring things like new characters, new moves for custom characters, new quests, stuff like that. Being that I don't really know the scope of the game, I don't know how to feel about all the DLC. But if Budokai is any indication, there's a lot of game to get through before you even begin to pine for DLC.

PC Players: (Forum/Steam/In-game)

Nenjin/~GSW~ Jumpyjump/Nenjin
kcwong/evilnut/Triss
Shadowgandor/???/General Failure
Sirus/Sirus/???
Vector/???/Peach
Zanzetkuken The Great/???/???
Andres/Killer110/Pree
Sentient Bowtie/Sentient Bowtie/Matilda

360 Players:

BFEL/

PS4 Players:
« Last Edit: May 02, 2015, 06:44:19 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dragonball Z Xenoverse. DBZ goodness on the PC, available on Steam.
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2015, 03:33:46 am »

If you're a DBZ fan, I think this is pretty much a buy. There is a lot to like about it, depending on your tolerance for MMO-style design and gameplay. The price tag is a little steep but it's a console game after all, and I'm enjoying it enough I think they've earned the money.

First off, it's a solid port which pleases me immensely. It's got PC config options, nothing too detailed but enough that someone took the time to think about it and do a good job. All the key remapping is solid, recognizes the 4th and 5th mouse buttons and all the onscreen prompts show the correct keys. Nary a crash or stutter to be found so far. My pc is way over spec for it so I can't really say how it performs, but the recommended specs are pretty easy going.

So you design your own character, picking male or female from the Saiyan, Nakemian, Human, Majin or "Friezian" races. Each one emphasizes some stats over others and have a few quirks each.

You've got stats for your Health, Ki, Stamina, Basic Attacks, Strike Powers and Ki Powers. You have 7 to start with you can map, grouped up into "Ultimates" and "Supers", with a couple subtypes within them (like your Evasion power.) You also have an item inventory for potions and buffs and other stuff you can use during missions. On top of all THAT, you have your wardrobe which has an impact on your stats, accessory slot and a "Z-Soul" slot which is kinda like a perk slot, various Z-Souls doing various things. Your first accessory is a Scouter, which actually is pretty cool in game. You hit the button for it and you look through the scouter lens to spot enemies, get data on them, locate portal and items. More on those last two in a bit. Even shows on your character model, too.

When I said the game is MMO-like, what I mean is it stops about 50 feet short of being an actual MMO. The whole game takes place out of a hub, the Time Patrol headquarters. Here you do the main story missions, side quests, sort of random missions, and straight up vs. fights. There's also shops to buy items, skills, clothing, accessories, and mix items to create new items.

Gameplay happens in roughly 3 ways. You have Time Patrol, which is the main story. You go through the classic DBZ moments...but before you groan, there's a twist to every scene. Represented by this evil purple energy, bad guys in the story do something different than they actually did, changing (sort of) what happens. Raditz throws off Goku at the critical moment and Goku gets hit by the full Special Beam Cannon, then Raditz finished off Piccolo. That sort of thing. Except you show up to stop it all.

I gotta give props on the story execution. If you've played even one DBZ game, you've probably relived the series enough times to be sick of it, between the games and the tv show. But they insert your player character into these scenes, which kind of seamlessly blend from actual moments in the show, to the revised bits. It actually has me paying attention to the story again.

So that's Time Patrol. It sort of serves as the leveling metric in the game. Do more Time Patrol Missions, unlock more characters to play, get more items in the shops, more missions to do outside of Time Patrol, etc..

The second way things play out is just traditional PVP fights you get set up. These are pretty thin and not really intended (I think) to contribute toward your progression. You get some money and xp for winning or losing fights but it's pocket change compared to the Parallel and Time Patrol missions, and you don't earn any items or stuff that I've seen.

The third way is what are called "parallel missions", which seem to be the real meat of the game. They're like Time Patrol, in that they deal with events in DBZ history being changed and you needing to fix it, but the format is different from Time Patrol and it's meant to fill in where the main story ends. This is where you find the bulk of items, equipment, new abilities and skills. They take the form of one or more areas connected by portals, which you fight some guys in one scene like a canyon, then fight some guys in another like the city, then fight some other guys in another like the wasteland, within the time limit and without dying (or failing any other other objectives of the mission.) The maps are reasonably large, and you can free roam them as you like even after enemies are dead. Which you'll need to, because there's items scattered around each area, sometimes hidden inside rocks you have to bust.

You end up bouncing back and forth between Time Patrol missions and Parallel missions, and you kinda need to do both to level up and unlock more stuff at the same time.

So, combat. Generally I think it's pretty smooth. It's certainly quick. It's pretty recognizable to me even after having not played a lot of the most recent games, although playing it on a mouse and keyboard takes some getting used to. It feels like it lacks a little punch, visually and in terms of the intensity of the back and forth in the fights, but there's a reason for that.

Fights are not simply you vs. another guy. It seems that there's up to 6 people participating in any one fight (3v3) at any one time, and it can make for a lot of chaos. (I had one mission to kill 20 Saibamen and a new one would spawn the instant the old one was killed. So far, it's been pretty easy (I'm up to the Namek part of the story) and the game is just now starting to get difficult. Victory, as you'd probably expect, comes from steamrolling the fuck out of someone with combos and not letting up until they're down. As the difficulty goes up though, this gets harder as other fighters in the match start laying into your flanks with heavy hitting attacks. Your attacks are generally single target, so you focus on one guy at a time and try to avoid damage where you can. Your two AIs are generally not all that competent, but they can keep the enemy off your back, allowing you to focus on the guy you need to fight. They will however, in some story instances, kick a lot of ass. But things don't play out in a highly scripted manner. Even though Goku is supposed to be fighting one guy, he might get tied up with another, or you might get bushwhacked by a pair of guys where they sort of left you alone last time. It feels kinda dynamic which is really cool and just further enhances the choice to let the player be somebody in the story.

If I have gripes about combat, it's this: it's kind of sloppy. Blocking is almost totally useless from what I can see, because you have to be blocking before someone attacks most of the time. Defense is largely a matter of offense and liberal use of the teleport dodge. There's not a lot of finesse to the combos, although they do stack up insanely and in a satisfying manner. So the game doesn't really feel all that precise, even though it's quick and smooth. Secondly, it has some soso terrain effects for DBZ. Which everything looks pretty lavish, there's little smashing guys through mountains or making gigantic craters. I suppose that's a trade off for having team battles, is that things visually are a little shallower.

After you do missions you get a rating and scored based on your performance, which is meeting the mission objectives and a whole load of other qualifiers (no damage, almost died, using 5 of some kind of attack in the mission, being the highest damage dealer, being the most aggressive, etc...) The higher the rating, the more exp and money you get. Items and skills seem to either need to be found on the map, rewarded at a certain performance level, or randomly (and I do mean randomly) drop off specific enemies in levels. (If a power or specific piece of gear drops in a PQ, chances are it drops from the guy it belongs to.)

Back to the MMO part, it's got some interesting features but plenty of tedium you'd associate with a F2P game too. In classic DBZ fashion, you can't sprint or fly in the hub, so you have to tediously walk back and forth to the mission terminals, the shops or to talk to NPCs. The game is a SP game, to be clear, but it's got MP features at your beck and call too. You can form a party with up to two other people and do Time Patrol, Parallel Missions or Team Battles. But the hub is still just you....sorta. See, other player's characters show up in your hub as NPCs just standing around. You can recruit their character (but not the player) to be on your team if you want. Which is kinda cool because it adds a little bit of life to the hub, even if that life is eye-gougingly colored Majins or Namekians, or tiny little Saiyans. (If you plan to do MP VS, prepare for people playing tiny characters with tiny fucking hit boxes. Yes, hit boxes are an issue with size in this.) I highly doubt I'll screw around with general MP but it might be fun with friends.

So all in all I think it's a pretty solid buy. I find the MMO style of doing things a little annoying. I like progression but I could do without the faux MMO appearance and what appears to be a fair amount of grinding missions to get the stuff I want. Still, it's pretty much everything a DBZ fan could ask for. There's enough game here to live in for a while.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 07:05:43 pm by nenjin »
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2015, 03:38:03 am »

I like the way they took the story from Dragon Ball Online. It's not like anyone outside southeast Asia ever saw that game anyone.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2015, 10:23:40 am »

So is the combat MMO-styled?  I might extended demo it, I hate animo but the DBZ games are always guilty pleasure fun.  I played Budokai Something Something Japanimo 3 on an emulato and liked it a lot.  Is it still that style of open-map 3d fighting game?
Shoes...

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2015, 11:05:31 am »

Combat is just like previous games in the series, just more people involved. And yeah, I'm not exactly a huge fan of anime either. And this game is verrryyyy Dragonball-y in that regard. Some of the new story is saccharine sweet but the gameplay makes up for it.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2015, 10:56:58 am »

Obtained for the 360, and gotta say that its pretty awesome.

The combat is good....its not absurdly amazing like in the Raging Blast games, but its reasonably fluid, with the sole problem being the previously mentioned limited defense options.

The main draw is definitely the "create your own dude and train him/her/it up" aspect, and it certainly delivers. While the early game starts you pretty generic you quickly end up with more outfits and moves then you will know what to do with, and they all work in mostly the way you would expect.

Speaking of moves...GINYU BODY CHANGE ACTUALLY CHANGES BODIES. YOU CAN LEARN THIS. YOU CAN ABUSE THIS. This is so exciting to me for some reason.

It has its fair share of silly mechanics though, nenjin said you have 8 super/ultimates and either he miscounted or its different for PC, because you get 7 in 360 version.
4 super attacks, 2 ultimate attacks, and an evasive move (which you will never use because the vanish dodge is more efficient and usually better.)

This is great, but it has some caveats. The big one is there is no longer a ki-charge button. You have to sacrifice a super slot to stand around powering up. Its fucking retarded. Similarly, "transformations" also take up a slot. The kaioken (and the X3/X20 versions) counts as a transformation and needs to be thrown in a super slot.
Super Saiyan transforms use an ULTIMATE slot, and Saiyans are the only race with actual transformations (everyone gets the kaiokens though) so no transforming as frieza-race :(

Oh and the no transform rule goes for actual Frieza and Cell/Buu too. Each form counts as a separate character, and all of them have forms skipped.

But overall I like the game, its generally fun and definitely worth the buy.

Oh, and YOU CAN GIVE YOUR CHARACTER ABRIDGED NAPPA'S VOICE. THEY GOT TAKAHATA101 AS A VOICE ACTOR HOLY BALLS.
Male voice 8.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2015, 12:21:12 pm »

Willingness to buy :: 70%
Required Willingness :: 85%

Currently watching Game Grumps playing. Currently rising....
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2015, 04:38:11 pm »

So this game can be QUITE grindy.

Parallel Quests offer a range of an items and skills you can get for beating them.

But both the outcome of the Parallel Quests and the drop rates are highly random.

So each PQ has rating levels. From F to Z. Each PQ has one main objective and two sub-objectives. The main one is known, the other two are hidden until you complete them. If you do your best and beat all the optional objectives and do well, you'll get a Z rating. If you do well but don't beat all the optional objectives, about the best you'll get is an S rating.

Often, one of the hidden objectives is "Beat all the guys within a short time limit." Doing that usually triggers the 3rd sub-objective, which is usually a boss fight or something.

But the requirements aren't 100%. That is to say, if you do exactly what you're supposed to, the triggering of the sub-objective is still semi-random. That's because there's further "hidden" qualifiers on some fights.

For example. Doing my Vegeta Master training, he wants me to bring him the Z-Soul "I am the strongest on Earth!" In the mission, you need to kill all the Saibamen in each area before finishing off the Saiyans. Do this, and when you beat Vegeta, the other two previously beaten Saiyans are supposed to rush in and you fight all three. Win that, and the Z-Soul should drop.

Except, it doesn't play out like that every time. Sometimes you do everything you're supposed to and the Saiyans don't revive, and the mission just ends with a "Normal Finish." Sometimes all the Saiyans rez and you beat them again and you get the "Ultimate Finish." But the Z-Soul still doesn't drop.

I ran this mission probably.....30 times without ever seeing that Z-Soul. I'd started running the mission solo, both because I was becoming OP from all the grinding, and it seemed the best way to eliminate possible causes and effects for making the item drop. The Internet claimed it was pretty much 100% random. But then I read one guy saying if you bring Kid Gohan and everyone is basically completely out of health when you beat the three Saiyans the last time, it will drop. As soon as I tried that, just me and Kid Gohan and letting ourselves get the crap beat out of us, it dropped.

So....yeah. There's a lot of grind, especially for the really important abilities like Super Saiyan. The mission where you get Super Saiyan is even more crazy. You have to fight 5 guys with Frieza at your side. After all 5 are down, Krillin and Goku spawn. You have to beat Krillin first, at which point, MAYBE, Goku will freak out and go Super Saiyan. Then you have to beat him before he kicks the shit out of Frieza and the mission ends, which as you can imagine, is hard when Frieza is already half dead from all the other fighting and Goku hits him like a bright yellow freight train.

And then there's the story missions themselves. I've finally reached the point where the game is getting for real hard, in the Cell Saga. Guys like Cell now represent how hard they are by just shrugging off 90% of your attacks. They still do damage but they lack the critical stumbling that most attacks cause, meaning as you attack into Cells face he just attacks right back and wrecks you. Not so much of a problem, you can hit and run....but when he can punch through your super attacks to interrupt them, or super attack through your punches for a whopping 50 to 60% of your life....yeah. The only option is go to back to the PQs and grind some more, which if you've got PQs you want S ratings on that aren't too hard, it's not such a big deal. At least you're beating the shit out of something and getting stronger. But if you're stuck on a tough PQ you want the drops from (or NEED, because apparently Super Saiyan is a big deal in this), it can be a little frustrating when you feel like you can't move forward, only grind lower level stuff you've already done half a dozen times. I suppose this is all easier playing coop, but a true Warrior fights alone.

I thought, after I'd beat Frieza 1v1 in a PQ mission specifically designed to show how tough he was, I was doing alright. But true to the series, each new saga you get into is an entire power level higher and the game is implying you kind of NEED stuff like Super Saiyan to be able to succeed at them without problems. With Health Capsules you can use in missions you have some tools to help you squeak by on the difficulty. But when a particularly bad combo takes half your life and the boss, comparatively, has 4x the life you do, it becomes difficult (not to mention grindy) to try and beat these fights by the skin of your teeth. It's to the point now when I'm using a Health Capsule in every PQ and Time Patrol mission, whereas previously I'd only needed to use them in particularly long missions or when sometimes fights wouldn't go my way. I have no idea where the level cap is (I think 100, I'm currently 33), so there's a lot more to do before I cap out and just have to learn to get better. But it's still becoming kind of intimidating.

Also, I don't like how clothing has stat modifiers. The clothing often looks dumb to my eyes, and can't be recolored or customized in anyway. But the stat bonuses on clothing continue to get larger and larger, to the point you can't ignore using them. I finally found a clothing set after the starter set I don't hate, but I wish cosmetics were disconnected from mechanics. Because DBZ has a lot of silly and butt-ugly clothing, and I don't really feel like wearing the stupid Android Balloon panets, or the Ginyu force silly armor with the silly shoulder pads. And yet, to get that edge, you eventually kind have to.

That said, I've owned it for two days and already put in over 30 hours, so it has my KIYYAAAAAAAA of approval, problems withstanding.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 07:13:22 pm by nenjin »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2015, 04:41:09 pm »

As for clothes it would have been fixable had the game given you a cosmetics layer.

Especially since this is DBZ... Equipment means nothing.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2015, 05:35:10 pm »

An addendum to my observation on VFX: they're the weakest part of this game. While the standard auras and Ki blasts look alright, the interaction they have with the terrain is laughable. You shoot a beam power that hits the ground and it makes a perfectly circular, visuals-only crater that vanishes literally 2 seconds later. Debris from the occasional shattered building or rock makes these fugly chunks that fall and likewise, vanish in seconds. To add insult to injury, the vfx for auras and ki blasts repeatedly disappear. You'll see the combo hits climb and the dude reacting as though they're hit, them taking damage on their life bar. But the effects are nowhere to be seen. I've read this has something to do with v-sync on PC graphics cards, and if you disable it the effects won't disappear. But it introduces some screen tearing which I think is arguably worse. A small quibble but it's one of the few straight up bugs I've seen in the game so far, and when you subtract out the fancy effects combat actually looks a little silly.

This is great, but it has some caveats. The big one is there is no longer a ki-charge button. You have to sacrifice a super slot to stand around powering up. Its fucking retarded. Similarly, "transformations" also take up a slot. The kaioken (and the X3/X20 versions) counts as a transformation and needs to be thrown in a super slot.
Super Saiyan transforms use an ULTIMATE slot, and Saiyans are the only race with actual transformations (everyone gets the kaiokens though) so no transforming as frieza-race :(

To be fair, you build Ki like a motherfucker after just landing a couple hits in melee. I have Power Charge equipped but I basically only use it for lulz and in team fights. 1v1 the AI does not give you the time to really charge up.

Stamina, on the other hand, seems to be the thing you need to care about managing. It recharges under some pretty crippling conditions (standing still, moving normal speed) and in 1v1 against boss-type opponents, you burn through your whole bar in one exchange of attacks, because if you let boss enemies lay into you with your combos they will wreck your shit. You burn stamina trying to get away from enemies too, so you're basically always out of it unless you're kicking the shit out of someone and have no reason to use it.

That is probably my biggest sole complaint with the game, is how difficulty is starting to shape up. Against tough guys who shrug off attacks, offense becomes very difficult. You end up needing to exploit throws (which the AI seems to gain the magical ability to DODGE THE FUCK OUT OF THE WAY OF) so you can get some stamina regen, so you can dodge the next series of attacks they throw at you, and pray you don't teleport back into a set of combos they're unleashing. You end up trying to attack guys in the back rather than a frontal assault because it's a way safer method of dealing damage. You start building up for ultimate attacks because it's the only way you can do damage without losing a shit load of life. (A place where Power Charge actually becomes useful.) Assuming they don't just block half if not all of the Ultimate attack. Doing that as the player leaves you with pretty much zero stamina. Boss AI? Gots plenty to spare.

And if you do dodge their attacks and move behind them, there's no guarantee they won't just turn around as you're attacking and dominate you. Proactively blocking is worthless as the AI will take 1 or 2 swings then IMMEDIATELY go into a charged strong attack (I watched Frieza Full Power do it mid-swing) to break your guard, which REALLY fucks you. Assuming you even got the block up fast enough in the first place. I've actually found it's more useful to tap block during combos hoping for a Just Guard, than it is to hold block and hope you will exploit a gap in timing to throw up your guard. You almost never will, the button seems completely fucking unresponsive. For a game like this, a simple change would just to be give the block button the ability to override attack animations. I'd use block x1000 more if I could do it quickly. Meanwhile, the AI can start blocking in the middle of getting beam attacked or comboed or whatever. There's some real bullshit Player/AI differences in what's possible. It's only now starting to piss me off as it becomes critical to difficulty, but it's something I've been noticing through my time playing. It may be the thing that ends up wrecking difficulty later on.

Also another gripe I suppose.....Special Attacks are inaccurate as fuck. If you've played any DBZ games before you're familiar with this problem, but it arguably seems worse in DBZXV. There are huge dead zones in attack orientation, such that sometimes i've fired a beam attack straight down to hit someone, but a guy 10 degrees out of position of me is missed completely. You generally have to account for your target moving when you activate a power...but I've shot beams at people on the ground, and they stand up next to it without taking a lick of damage. Meanwhile, you can't even SEE the edge of some opponents super fuck off attacks and if you're even looking at it you're getting clipped by a few hits just on the periphery. I'm looking at you, Perfect Cell and your ultimate Kamehameha. My choice of powers these days is starting to be guided almost entirely on how accurate they are. I LOVE Racoome Kick, the buff is insane. But it's accuracy is so fucking poor, and enemies exploit the wind up on it at close range like a dog on food dropped on the floor, I stopped using it. It was getting me killed more often than it was fucking people up.

And seriously, where are all the Ultimate Attacks? I've picked up like, 3 since starting the game. I'm still using Full Power Volley as my go-to Ultimate because I haven't seen anything more reliable. The fanciest Ultimate I've gotten is Blue Hurricane, and that is laughably ineffective.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 06:06:44 pm by nenjin »

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dragonball Z Xenoverse. DBZXV-XYZPDQLMNOP. (Dragonball Z on the PC.)
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2015, 07:13:15 pm »

Nenjin WHY IN THE SHIT are you using that crap ultimate? It hits like once out of the four hundred blasts you throw :P

Go to the skill shop in the industrial district and look through the ultimates section. Should be something decent. Hell take Raditz' Weekend if you have to.
I'm using this ultimate that fires off a bunch of ki blasts and then does a beam afterward, its handy for making the AI insta-block the blasts and get wrecked by the follow up beam.

But yeah, the "there is no such thing as defense" thing is annoying as balls.

But I have discovered something much, much worse...ALWAYS ONLINE BULLSHIT. IN SINGLEPLAYER. INTERNET WAS SPOTTY TODAY SO GOT THROWN OUT OF GAME. REPEATEDLY. FUCKING FUCK.

Indeed, I do this.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2015, 07:18:18 pm »

Nenjin WHY IN THE SHIT are you using that crap ultimate? It hits like once out of the four hundred blasts you throw :P

That's because you don't know how to use it. It's shit at all ranges except short and pointblank. Then it shines. Does up to....16 hits I think? and if you're pushing Ki Supers, it will fucking ruin people's day. I'm doing on average 1/3rd to 1/2 of most non-boss guys life with it, and at the tail end of a 18 hit combo, it can practically lay someone out. And compared to how fucking terrible the accuracy on almost anything in this game is, some damage ends up being better than no damage at a lot of ranges. I've got Mouth Blast or w/e its called which is a nice sniping ability as long as dudes are standing still....which is pretty much never. I've yet to see an ultimate attack I like. Just like every other DBZ game, if it's a beam or a ball, you just fly away at max speed and strafe, 99% of the time it'll miss unless you fly back into it. Which makes most ults very hard to use on enemies engaged with you, at range. The only Ultimates I feel I can really count on are the ones launched at close range and preferably right at the end of a combo, so there's little to no chance of it missing. (Just the usual chance of a guy taking the first few hits, blocking the next 50%, then taking the last few. But again, that's better than a straight up miss.) Its only other major downside is that it doesn't have a "big finish" so as it ends the enemy is basically free to act.

Pointblank ults also tend to be where the AI will ruin you. It's hard to avoid the Super Kamehameha when it literally is a bubble around Perfect Cell and to move is to open yourself up to getting hit by it, and he opens up with it while you're in the middle of a combo. That's why I <3 Meteor Crash right now, a Strike Super you start the game with. It still manages to interrupt the tougher guys where your normals and even some supers and ults won't.

Here's a pic of my totally unoriginal Saiyan. Name is Nenjin, send me an invite if you want to beat some guys up.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The game also works fine if you put Steam in offline mode. In fact.....the online connectivity even in a single player lobby seems to add A TON of load time. Like 3 or 4 second for me offline to 15+.

Yeah, screw Online. It just dropped me from the game because I lost contact with the server. Thank god this is was designed with strictly offline mode, or it would be a disaster.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 08:09:28 pm by nenjin »

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2015, 08:00:06 pm »

Do not directly interact with other players.

Do not look other players in the eye.

Do not feed other players.
Shoes...

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2015, 09:14:29 pm »

BFEL has the Xbox 360 version nenjin. Much as I would like to play with/throw beams at you I'm pretty sure we can't play together :(
And the closest it has to offline mode is not being online...which I might try at this rate :P

But on the subject of Ultimates, a Ranged Ultimate that is only useful at point blank range is silly. Just put on a melee Ultimate instead. The one I use is sorta like that one, but it is actually accurate at ranges beyond "inside you" (due mostly to the fact that it has enemy tracking like when you hold normal ki blasts)
plus after the enemy blocks all those blasts it lets its guard down and then "HAHAHERESABEAMINYAFACE"

I should probably memorize the name of it, I just remember its description is VERY similar to the one you use.

Oh and since you mentioned it, what is everyone's character builds? I'm using a Namekian with a HUGE focus on basic attacks (currently at 42) with ki and stamina as sort of dump stats (though I'm intending to build up the stamina at least) with balanced everything else. Also "Neither Kami nor Piccolo" Z-soul is beast.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 09:17:35 pm by BFEL »

Indeed, I do this.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2015, 09:49:04 pm »

Saiyan focusing on Basic Attacks, Ki Supers, Strikes, Stamina, Health, Ki, that in order. It's to the point Frieza's B-Roll goons can die to a single combo or super attack.

Trying for SS Vegeta right now. God these objectives are so frustratingly random. It's hard to know, even with Internet help threads, if you did something wrong or if it's just not your luck.

Also is it me or is the stat diagram like, backwards? I love that kind of display for stats even since like Dragon Warrior or Final Fantasy, I forget which game did it. But it shows Stamina and Ki pools as the biggest focus of my character, even though it's the opposite. Is it just that stamina and ki pools are inherently easier to fill so proportionally they're my highest stats?
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 09:51:29 pm by nenjin »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 29