Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Buying all the caravans  (Read 2945 times)

KaliumCharlie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Buying all the caravans
« on: February 23, 2015, 01:57:13 pm »

Ok well, I´m noob at this game... So this is my case, In my fortress my fishermen did a great job and a have 4 legendary cookers, wich means a lot of food... well i just bought all the elvish, human, and dwarf caravan, every single object and they did a lot of profit... Is it bad at all? I'm going to die have tons of fun?

omega_dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Architect, Dabbling Modder
    • View Profile
Re: Buying all the caravans
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2015, 02:01:35 pm »

Nope, you just discovered the power of prepared meals. Caravans for days!

It's one of a few items that need heavy price nerfing. Trap components and weapons are the others.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2015, 02:02:07 pm »

Well, doing this will vastly inflate your fortress wealth but having the masterwork food is already doing that so I'd say you're not doing yourself any harm. Either way you're going to see sieges and such as your fortress value rises.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2015, 02:05:27 pm »

Your fortress will be worth more, and next year any caravans you gave a good profit to will be arriving with far more stuff than last year. If you were a good businessman and cheated them out of a good fortune of money, the reverse would be true, and they would arrive home, have no profit, and return as a much less prosperous caravan.

Total fortress wealth, meanwhile, if it's on the up and up, might cause you to need an armed security force so that siegers don't try to steal all your wealth.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Terff

• Bay Watcher
  • Indeed...
    • View Profile
    • What is the answer to this question?
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2015, 06:10:47 pm »

All of my fortresses as of late have relied on prepared meals as their trade items... $$$

But yeah it shortens the time it takes for titans and sieges to find out about you often leading to early fatal sieges or titan attacks if you're not prepared.

My suggestion:  Cage traps deal very very well with sieges... 

Titans... pray you get lucky or form a (good) military
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 06:12:23 pm by Terff »
I need some way to put armor on babies so I can start training them early.
Quote from: Lectorog on August 06, 2013, 03:57:45 pm

A goblin siege!?  Good we haven't had one in awhile, we are running out of new clothes

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2015, 07:13:17 pm »

Nope, you just discovered the power of prepared meals. Caravans for days!

It's one of a few items that need heavy price nerfing. Trap components and weapons are the others.

I have a 40 years old fort and I buy whatever I want then offer them barrels of prepared meals.

Actually making money is so easy in DF.

I used to have legendary bone carvers making crafts and they were as good as those legendary cooks, well, almost. Once you reach caverns, it is ridiculously easy to have infinite bone(crafts) and meat(roasts) resources.

You can even import logs from the mountainhome and turn them into masterwork trap components, hundreds of them per year.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

superbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2015, 07:53:25 pm »

Does buying out a caravan with stuff that's significantly more valuable than what they brought result in a much better caravan next year? Say the dwarven caravan brought 100k worth of goods and I give them 500k in food and traps, will that result in a better caravan next year, relative to what I'd get if I gave them stuff worth ~100k?

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2015, 07:24:58 am »

Does buying out a caravan with stuff that's significantly more valuable than what they brought result in a much better caravan next year? Say the dwarven caravan brought 100k worth of goods and I give them 500k in food and traps, will that result in a better caravan next year, relative to what I'd get if I gave them stuff worth ~100k?

I do recommend you try your own ☼science☼ on this, but yes, that is the result that I have found so far. I could of course be imagining it.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2015, 02:12:45 pm »

Unless it has been changed that also means that you shouldn't give the elves more than neccessary, because they feel cloth is more valuable than tame animals.  So if you give them lots of money, they will bring lots of "expensive" cloth instead of those cheap (in relation to their weight) animals.

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2015, 02:43:54 pm »

Cloth is brought in response to a shortage or a specific order. If you have a lot of unforbidden cloth (five units per dwarf, according to the wiki), no one will bring you more. The elves are not bringing you cloth because they think it is more valuable, they are bringing it because they think you don't have enough.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2015, 02:47:13 pm »

The elves arrive, pack animals overflowing with cloth of the most beautiful colors.

"We have come to relieve you of your dreadful cloth shortage!"

The dwarves all look at each other, all wearing spun adamantine robes and clothing or forged steel armor.

"Ah.. thanks?"

Sadrice

• Bay Watcher
  • Yertle et al
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2015, 03:11:47 pm »

In my case, I make almost all of my clothing out of leather (or steel, since I recently drafted everyone to inactive squads, so they would carry weapons and wear helmets if they want to insist on charging at every wild animal they see).  I usually only keep a small stockpile of cloth for moods and hospital use, and don't bother building a loom (the headaches they cause are endless), so the elves stubbornly bring me mountains of rope reed fiber cloth, instead of another giant black mamba.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2015, 03:44:14 pm »

The elves arrive, pack animals overflowing with cloth of the most beautiful colors.

"We have come to relieve you of your dreadful cloth shortage!"

The dwarves all look at each other, all wearing spun adamantine robes and clothing or forged steel armor.

"Ah.. thanks?"
Ha. Except it would be even worse in my case, because my only export is worn masterfully crafted clothing. Even worn it is often over a thousand Urists per item.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2015, 03:47:13 pm »

I like the idea of dwarves exporting all of their used clothing rather than washing it.

"Nah, it's easier to just weave new ones each day."

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2015, 03:57:44 pm »

Well, I have around ten legendary growers, two legendary threshers, three legendary millers, a legendary dyer, three legendary weavers, and three legendary clothiers. And then my four legendary bone carvers decorate the clothes with bone. At the end of all that I often have clothes more valuable than cheap artifacts. And I mass-produce these things too, so I typically buy all the steel from a caravan and give them 50x what the steel was worth.
Pages: [1] 2