Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Need help with screen resolution  (Read 1096 times)

thardy01

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Need help with screen resolution
« on: February 20, 2015, 09:59:29 pm »

Was hoping someone could help me figure this out if possible. Being new to Dwarf Fortress I've been playing around with different tilesets in the LNP.
and decided I like phoebus except the menu part on the right is to big.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Was wondering if there was any way to move it over some like it is in the default ASCII texture.
I've tried experimenting with different setting in the init file but cant seem to do it. It will display like I want with 8x12 tile-sets but not square
tile-sets. Id even be willing to stretch or squash it some to have it like I want.
My monitor resolution is 1280x800. Thanks in advance for any help.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
Re: Need help with screen resolution
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2015, 10:57:38 pm »

Press tab to toggle the position of the menu.

E: Actually, never mind. Your problem is that the font is square, and the wider tiles take up more space on the screen. There's no "fix", per se, because that's what's supposed to happen when you use wider tiles.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 11:00:38 pm by Orange Wizard »
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Pirate Santa

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2015, 01:10:38 am »

I believe Text Will be Text is what you're looking for.
It's included by default with the LNP.
Should give you this:
Welcome to Dwarf Fortress. Where peaceful death of old age is something nobody sees coming.
it turns out Dog Bone Doctors aren't very good at doctoring.

Drengor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2015, 10:32:02 am »

TWBT will definitely fix that.  The LNP also allows you to zoom, which will shrink the width of the font showing more area, with less being taken up with the menu.  I'm not sure what enables the mouse support for zooming.

thardy01

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2015, 11:04:03 am »

Kinda messy but resolved. TWBT did make it look alot prettier but the text menu part was still way to big for my liking.
So after enabling TWBT I went into the arts folder and started mucking about finally I saw the Phoebus_16x16_text.png and scaled in in gimp from 256x256 to 128x256 and to my great satisfaction it actually did what I wanted by shrinking the right text menu down. Of course the text was a little fuzzy so I got to doing a bit more experimentation and copied the curses_640x300.png into the arts folder and renamed it to Phoebus_16x16_text.png. And these are the results which Im quite happy with.
And yes Im sure there is probably a much cleaner way to do this than changing file-names and such but this is the way it worked for me. But if someone want to add the correct way to have done this I would still like to know.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2015, 08:28:26 am »

TWBT will definitely fix that. The LNP also allows you to zoom, which will shrink the width of the font showing more area, with less being taken up with the menu.  I'm not sure what enables the mouse support for zooming.
Isn't that a default DF feature?
[BIND:ZOOM_IN:REPEAT_SLOW]
[BUTTON:0:5]
[BIND:ZOOM_OUT:REPEAT_SLOW]
[BUTTON:0:4]
Zooming with the mouse wheel should be the default binding, if I'm not mistaken.

Switching to TrueType mode (F12) might help with the proportion of screen covered. (That is, if you're not using TWBT, which disables it.)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 08:32:10 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?