Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: minecarts not getting loaded  (Read 4040 times)

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
minecarts not getting loaded
« on: February 16, 2015, 12:35:05 pm »

The minecart en route is getting pushed between stops on schedule, but they never load from the stockpiles linked right beside them. I've seen one once between routes with 24% load, but the stockpile at the end was still empty when I checked later. Everyone assigned to push vehicles are also assigned to haul every item in the stockpiles. Desired items isn't set as a condition because it doesn't express all the conditions the separate stockpiles do.

What's wrong here? How do I get resources to the end of the line and finished product back up?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: minecarts not getting loaded
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2015, 02:03:00 pm »

- Have you remembered to specify that to put in the cart? The setting defaults to nothing.
- Do you have a track stop at the end with a designated dumping? Track stops default to not having a dump direction.
- What controls when to leave the loading stations? Are you sure the cart isn't just pushed to the stop and then onwards?

I take it you want a resource to production and results back loop.
- At the resource end, make sure the track stop item settings cover what you want to load. I usually leave the cart description broad and control items by having a restricted stockpile setting. Also make sure one or more stockpiles are linked to the stop.
- Unless you want to manually control it, you need to set up one or more departure conditions (I usually go for full of desired items, but if you have a complex route that's intended to pick up stuff at several places you may want increasing percentages). Also, if you have several stops, you may want timed departures as well, to ensure delivery doesn't get stalled by the station that's out of stuff ('cause the dorf responsible for production is on a break).
- At the end, build a track stop and set up a dump direction. I don't think braking comes into effect when pushing mine carts (I usually use impulse ramps along completely closed off [pressure plate controlled doors] tracks).
- At the return path, basically do the same, but with a different set of items.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2015, 03:05:08 pm »

- Linked every stockpile the stop should load from. I don't think I could get any more specific; one end is linked to 7 stockpiles, the other linked to 10, desired items for both stops is set to include the whole categories.
- I don't know how to recheck the parameters after construction, but I don't believe I'm mistaken: both track stops were constructed to dump west.
- They're set to depart when full, in 7 days when at least 50%, 14 days always.

It's not a complex route, there's only 2 stops and each end has a full warehouse of stockpiles intended for transfer to the other end.  Even if the cart went off the rails, the problem is that the stockpiles are being ignored on both ends, so an empty cart gets shoved along it every 2 weeks.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2015, 03:32:23 pm »

As of a fairly recent DF version (0.40.19?), you can now check and change track stop settings using the 'q' command.

Your description causes me to suspect you've missed to set up mine cart contents. Go to the route stop description (where your departure conditions and stockpile links are visible), and then hit <enter>. You'll find a stockpile screen for the stuff to carry, and this is initially empty, so nothing would get loaded unless you update this.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2015, 03:52:56 pm »

Go to the route stop description (where your departure conditions and stockpile links are visible), and then hit <enter>.
That's desired items. I've already mentioned those twice in previous posts, once when stated I didn't use it as a condition, and again when I set them to blanket categories for all the items anyway. Keep up if you want to give helpful advice.

Also, you cannot, as of 40.24, get any track stop information from 'q' menus.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2015, 02:32:27 am »

I misunderstood your description.
I get info from 'q' with 0.40.24, but it might be that it's provided by DFHack.

Over and out.

Eldin00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2015, 01:53:30 pm »

- Linked every stockpile the stop should load from. I don't think I could get any more specific; one end is linked to 7 stockpiles, the other linked to 10, desired items for both stops is set to include the whole categories.
- I don't know how to recheck the parameters after construction, but I don't believe I'm mistaken: both track stops were constructed to dump west.
- They're set to depart when full, in 7 days when at least 50%, 14 days always.

It's not a complex route, there's only 2 stops and each end has a full warehouse of stockpiles intended for transfer to the other end.  Even if the cart went off the rails, the problem is that the stockpiles are being ignored on both ends, so an empty cart gets shoved along it every 2 weeks.

So while the minecart is being filled, it's sitting on a track stop that's set to dump? When using minecarts to set up quantum stockpiles, that setup is used to ensure that the minecart dumps  everything as soon as it gets loaded in, so the minecart never has anything in it for more than a couple of ticks. Might that be what's happening with your setup?

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2015, 02:00:06 pm »

As of a fairly recent DF version (0.40.19?), you can now check and change track stop settings using the 'q' command.
This is a DFHack plugin (trackstop), not a vanilla DF feature.
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2015, 11:30:56 pm »

So while the minecart is being filled, it's sitting on a track stop that's set to dump? When using minecarts to set up quantum stockpiles, that setup is used to ensure that the minecart dumps  everything as soon as it gets loaded in, so the minecart never has anything in it for more than a couple of ticks. Might that be what's happening with your setup?
So the dumping stop can't be the same as the loading stop? Ah, would that be why I see a quantum stockpile of the stuff that should be shipped to the opposite destination? Does the minecart even need to brake to dump its payload? And does there need to be a braking stop in order not to overshoot the route stop, or will it automatically stop regardless of speed/momentum?

Eldin00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2015, 03:35:47 am »

I don't believe it needs to brake to dump its payload. A cart moving under it's own momentum will need some kind of braking in order to actually stop, but a cart being guided by a dwarf will stop as soon as the dwarf stops guiding it, which they will do at every stop listed under the route, but not at track stops which don't have an associated route stop.