Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Werebeast infection  (Read 2372 times)

Sadrice

• Bay Watcher
  • Yertle et al
    • View Profile
Werebeast infection
« on: February 16, 2015, 02:38:28 am »

I'm attempting to form a weremammoth corps of my military after I successfully isolated a survivor of the latest attack, but I've had trouble getting candidates to survive the experience.  First try was 4 peasants, no armor.  Due to some mismanagement, they had axes, but were unable to harm the precious weremammoth, or even mount a credible defense before being gored and having their heads bitten off.

I read up a bit on the wiki, and second attempt was a bit better.  Only 2 this time, due to being in a hurry before the full moon and they didn't want to pickup equipment fast enough, but no additional success.  I gave them iron helms and breastplates, and now weapons this time, and put them in a room with the mammoth lined with cage traps, so that hopefully they would get bitten, pass out, and be saved by the cage to hopefully survive til the next moon.  No luck.  Opening attack, the mammoth bit through the breastplate, tearing open lungs and causing heavy bleeding.  Then it did a bit of wrestling and mangled shoulders and hips, and then bit his head off, and then bit the other one's head off too.  Neither helms nor breastplates registered as being penetrated by the head biting, though they were easily penetrated by torso bites.

How do I get dwarves to survive an attack by a weremammoth?  The initial survivor was attacked right before the mammoth turned back, and I could try that, but it might be annoying.  Would steel or adamantine armor help?  I'm not sure it would, since it doesn't seem to prevent direct removal of heads.  Would chain mail maybe protect the neck?  Given an iron breastplate can't resist a bite, I'm not sure it would help much.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 02:41:36 am by Sadrice »

Skullsploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Werebeast infection
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2015, 09:25:48 am »

Steel chain and plate. Cover every part of their body in full chain and plate, so:

helm
mail shirt
breastplate
greaves
high boots

Leave off the gauntlets, so that the bites which break skin can be on relatively non-vital parts.

You will have on obscenely high fatality:infection ratio, but since you're turning your dwarves into monsters anyway...

This thread is of interest to me though, since I want to do a similar thing with my isolated werekangaroo to recycle amputee military veterans.
"is it harmful for my dwarves ? I bet it is"
Always a safe default assumption in this game 

Insert_Gnome_Here

• Bay Watcher
  • Dosen't really care about anything anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2015, 01:28:13 pm »

Throw dwarves at it until one survives
As stalin said, 'quantity has a quality all of its own.'
Quote from: Max™ on December 06, 2015, 04:09:21 am
Also, if you ever figure out why poets/bards/dancers just randomly start butchering people/getting butchered, please don't fix it, I love never knowing when a dance party will turn into a slaughter.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2015, 02:54:12 pm »

Throw dwarves at it until one survives
As stalin said, 'quantity has a quality all of its own.'
That's what I did against a weremammoth in another fort. I got five weremammoths the next full moon. The rest is history.

Skullsploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2015, 02:57:18 pm »

Yes, dog piling it with armoured wrestler peasants may be the way to go. Even if they kill it, you should get some wrestler peasant weremammoths.

Treah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2015, 03:44:05 pm »

Can werebeast infection be spread by blood, like it is with vampirism? If you you could bleed one into the local water supply then turn off the booze  :P.

Huntthetroll

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2015, 10:46:38 pm »

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2015, 12:57:52 am »

You could retire your fort and infect everyone yourself as an adventurer.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Skullsploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2015, 01:16:11 pm »

Can werebeasts become pregnant? Do their children inherit the curse?

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2015, 06:03:09 pm »

If I recall correctly: Yes. No.

Tragedy ensues.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

Skullsploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2015, 11:32:15 pm »

If I recall correctly: Yes. No.

Tragedy ensues.

Ah. two years until independence, one month until face-ripping.

It is inevitable.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2015, 03:21:59 am »

Ah. two years until independence, one month until face-ripping.

It is inevitable.
You could probably put the child into protective custody, though. A lightweight minecart should separate them from the mother, then the rest of the fort should probably feed the child.

Skullsploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2015, 03:29:16 pm »

Not particularly useful for an all-werebeast fort though.