Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What sort of genre should the setting be?

Magitech
- 8 (27.6%)
Mythic Fantasy
- 7 (24.1%)
Post-Post-Apocalyptic
- 4 (13.8%)
Prehistoric Fantasy
- 3 (10.3%)
Steampunk
- 4 (13.8%)
Wuxia
- 3 (10.3%)

Total Members Voted: 29

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8

Author Topic: Let's Create a Setting! - Voting Open! - VOTING FINISHED!  (Read 9787 times)

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Create a Setting! - Voting Open! - SECOND ROUND OF VOTING!
« Reply #90 on: February 16, 2015, 02:38:37 pm »

"Scientists are reporting that we only have enough gods to fuel our society for another Fifty Years!"

Hehehehehehe. Might have to switch to "fossil fuels".
I wonder what the mileage on an 'Old One' is.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 16, 2015, 02:43:06 pm »

At first I was going to say, "Well yeah, but then you're basically just doing Exalted in a system that isn't Exalted, since we're already damned close to it," but then you saved it.
I'm not too familiar with Exalted, so I'm not sure where I deviated. Was it when I put gods in little boxes and used them to power household devices?
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 16, 2015, 02:48:46 pm »

So, if we imagine that the ability to create god-machines was given to humanity by a Promethean figure, would that mean that the greater gods already use them? And that this may be related to why they're greater gods?

Perhaps all gods are machines at first, and manifesting in the world of mortals grants them similarity to life? The emulation of life and life's pleasures, then, is why they choose to manifest in the mortal world in the first place? Perhaps even why they created the mortal world?

Just me stringing words together, mind you. I don't pretend that this approaches a coherent stream of thought.

Rex Invictus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 16, 2015, 03:58:42 pm »

I do like the whole animism (what you guys are referring to as polytheism) idea. :D

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 16, 2015, 04:00:45 pm »

Animism, that's it. I was thinking there was a more precise word for it, but I couldn't remember it.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

LORD GOAT THE 120524TH

• Bay Watcher
  • I only accept the finest cans
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 16, 2015, 04:16:21 pm »

"Scientists are reporting that we only have enough gods to fuel our society for another Fifty Years!"

Hehehehehehe. Might have to switch to "fossil fuels".
I wonder what the mileage on an 'Old One' is.
:) Funny.
I got a really good car. Only 2 ancients per 30 miles!

I actually don't like the whole 'Gods are Machines' thing.
Welcome to Bay 12. Drop off your soul in the collection plate on the left.-Remuthura

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 16, 2015, 04:48:03 pm »

Pro-animism fueled machines (magitech :P)
Anti-god machines. Whilst it could be interesting, it would most likely add extra detail that doesn't meaningfully change anything. Could be wrong though :)

@ Lord goat - there's an edit button on your posts. Saves double posting. :)  But yeah, a ton of posts can confuse matters more than it helps.
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext

LORD GOAT THE 120524TH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 16, 2015, 04:51:03 pm »

Pro-animism fueled machines (magitech :P)
Anti-god machines. Whilst it could be interesting, it would most likely add extra detail that doesn't meaningfully change anything. Could be wrong though :)

@ Lord goat - there's an edit button on your posts. Saves double posting. :)  But yeah, a ton of posts can confuse matters more than it helps.
I actually knew that. I just forgot to do it. :(

Also, do any of you guys know what we'll do once setting is decided on?
Welcome to Bay 12. Drop off your soul in the collection plate on the left.-Remuthura

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 16, 2015, 04:54:28 pm »

I believe there was a post somewhere saying that we'd then flesh out the setting on the theme, and then it'd be fair game for GMs (well maybe not quite fair game, but numerous GMs using the world) for multiple games.
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.

Sigtext

LORD GOAT THE 120524TH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 16, 2015, 05:04:19 pm »

I thought this was to help Invictus use his 'fans' to help him make a thread, he even said that he was going to use tabletop rpg rules.

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 16, 2015, 05:07:58 pm »

tabletop RPG is what I intended by games :P

But yeah, whether he just wants to use it for himself or whether it's open for multiple GMs doing simultaneous games I can't really tell you.

Sigtext

Rex Invictus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 16, 2015, 05:09:08 pm »

I thought this was to help Invictus use his 'fans' to help him make a thread, he even said that he was going to use tabletop rpg rules.

The plan is to create a setting and then, if it's viable, run a collaborative campaign in it.

Basically, it's like making a forum-based tabletop MMO. I've seen it done a few times and work well.

Similar to West Marches or Pathfinder Society.

LORD GOAT THE 120524TH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 16, 2015, 05:13:29 pm »

Cool, do I have to have in-depth character sheets, detailed backstory and long actions? Because that's what i've seen with things like this and I am horrible at those 3 things.

Kassire

• Bay Watcher
  • The damning skull motif
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 16, 2015, 05:14:15 pm »

The plan is to create a setting and then, if it's viable, run a collaborative campaign in it.

Basically, it's like making a forum-based tabletop MMO. I've seen it done a few times and work well.

Similar to West Marches or Pathfinder Society.
Sounds like a bit of work for one guy, as I'd see a bunch of greater deities down to some mortal doing metric shit tonnes of stuff all in one world. Would be fun to do dick around in several roles, might even make me learn Pathfinder rules  :P. If enough people mess around in this I would suggest a Co-GM unless your some sort of an identical form of Piecewise.
All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well

LORD GOAT THE 120524TH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 16, 2015, 05:16:52 pm »

I've had some practice at RTD's and done something close to D&D Gming and compared to those things, I agree with Kassire.
(I say close to because  I only needed two dice and there was none of the fancy roleplay)
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8