Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What sort of genre should the setting be?

Magitech
- 8 (27.6%)
Mythic Fantasy
- 7 (24.1%)
Post-Post-Apocalyptic
- 4 (13.8%)
Prehistoric Fantasy
- 3 (10.3%)
Steampunk
- 4 (13.8%)
Wuxia
- 3 (10.3%)

Total Members Voted: 29

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

Author Topic: Let's Create a Setting! - Voting Open! - VOTING FINISHED!  (Read 9790 times)

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Create a Setting! - Voting Open! - SECOND ROUND OF VOTING!
« Reply #60 on: February 16, 2015, 09:57:35 am »

Seeke, the dark goddess of steam and technology, who whispers to humans through the hissing of pipes and the clank of machinery, infecting the dreams of the dishevelled fabricans lurking in the hearts of our great cities, their own miniature societies roiling in a primitive sort of luxury, with technology leaping ahead in innovation whilst the society crumbles to hedonism and corruption. Meanwhile topside, humanity is kept on the verge of the technological breakthrough by the constant looming peril of Seeke's awakening, a terrifying singularity in a near-present future, banished from the minds of the populace as only the inevitable doom of our world can be.
However, every now and again, one will awaken whose dreams have been filled with the clanking of monstrous engines and the bellowing of powerful vapors, and will head east, in a trance, lost to their families and friends; to work on something, a monolithic godmachine of forboding aura and enigmatic purpose, which echo the shrieks and cackles of Seeke as the gigantic spooling engines haul monstrous forms of brass and iron from the heart of the planet, whilst the trickling hordes of those called create a gigantic web of dark purpose.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 09:59:38 am by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Rex Invictus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 16, 2015, 10:00:32 am »

Seriously, don't do anything as a knockoff/expy of 40K unless you're aiming for the silly tone that it originally had before the grimdark gummed up the works. And don't do it anyway because it works for jokes but falls apart in practice.

'sides, I said it before, there are much better things to take cues from if you're doing anything related to mythic fantasy.

At that point, it was a mix of steampunk, magitech, wuxia and mythic fantasy. So it made more sense.

<snip>

Avoid putting down too much. :P I want the setting to evolve organically from people's ideas.

LORD GOAT THE 120524TH

• Bay Watcher
  • I only accept the finest cans
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 16, 2015, 10:10:19 am »

All that is good writing but... why so serious? I want it to be like Order of the Stick except with less fourth wall breakage, less D&D rules and not too much crazy. Not too good at explanations.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 10:13:16 am by LORD GOAT THE 120524TH »
Welcome to Bay 12. Drop off your soul in the collection plate on the left.-Remuthura

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 16, 2015, 10:46:57 am »

Yeah, that was just an example of something to work towards, not an actual suggestion for the world.  :P

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

LuckyKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't kill people but when I do it's slow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 16, 2015, 10:51:49 am »

Why not a Post-Apocalyptic Setting where Humanity has devolved into a Medieval Society and Treats the Left-Over artifacts from the Extremely Advanced Sci-Fi Civilization from before as magical?

Urist Arrhenius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 16, 2015, 10:53:23 am »

Why not a Post-Apocalyptic Setting where Humanity has devolved into a Medieval Society and Treats the Left-Over artifacts from the Extremely Advanced Sci-Fi Civilization from before as magical?
I think we're combining mythical fantasy and magitech, based off of the votes. Post-apocalyptic isn't really getting very far.
We're all just Simple Folk trying to get by.

You can also watch me learn to draw.

LuckyKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't kill people but when I do it's slow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 16, 2015, 10:59:42 am »

Aw, OK den. PTW and Possibly Joining in at some point.

Rex Invictus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 16, 2015, 11:11:57 am »

I think mythical fantasy and magitech will be a really strong concept. Maybe go for something ancient history focused?

UnicodingUnicorn

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent at Incompetency.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 16, 2015, 11:14:03 am »

How about having such a focus on how old cultures evolve from such a setting? For example, creatures with magical energy instead of electricity will come up with a very different economy than ours.
I do stuff, I guess

LORD GOAT THE 120524TH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 16, 2015, 11:20:57 am »

I have a question. What would the players be? Adventurers? Gods/Titans? Rulers?
Welcome to Bay 12. Drop off your soul in the collection plate on the left.-Remuthura

Rex Invictus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 16, 2015, 11:23:58 am »

I have a question. What would the players be? Adventurers? Gods/Titans? Rulers?

The plan was: Players would have one character as an adventurer to start off with and as they leveled up they'd be slipped off as rulers and then could make new adventurers.

I don't know if that's going to work with this, as the only system I can think of that would work would be Pathfinder. :p

LORD GOAT THE 120524TH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 16, 2015, 11:28:53 am »

This is going off Pathfinder rules?

Rex Invictus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 16, 2015, 11:30:20 am »

This is going off Pathfinder rules?

I was hoping for either ACKS or RuneQuest, but this'd probably be a bit too high flying for them. I'll see when the results of the setting creation come out.

Basically: System not yet decided. :p

LORD GOAT THE 120524TH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 16, 2015, 11:34:52 am »

O.K. I think it should be based on RPG Tabletop rules but should be like dwarf fortress adventure mode. You can get ranks in government but you can't get ruler right off the bat, I mean people are going to grateful that you killed that  horrible beast but they're not gonna make you king.

LORD GOAT THE 120524TH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 16, 2015, 12:07:30 pm »

Does anyone want me to set up a 'Entertainment while we're waiting for Rex Invictus's setup to finish' thread?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8