Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What sort of genre should the setting be?

Magitech
- 8 (27.6%)
Mythic Fantasy
- 7 (24.1%)
Post-Post-Apocalyptic
- 4 (13.8%)
Prehistoric Fantasy
- 3 (10.3%)
Steampunk
- 4 (13.8%)
Wuxia
- 3 (10.3%)

Total Members Voted: 29

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8

Author Topic: Let's Create a Setting! - Voting Open! - VOTING FINISHED!  (Read 9815 times)

Rex Invictus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Create a Setting! - Voting Open!
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2015, 08:10:48 pm »

I feel that we should have like a text adventure or minigames to pass the time waiting. Just my opinion though. I would like a bit of feedback on that idea, positive or negative.

How about...

Should the setting only have humans, have humans and other races or only have other races?

If other races, how many races?

Should they be weird or "typical fantasy"?

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2015, 08:20:57 pm »

Humans and other races, but the other races are rare and have almost mythical reputation. Like, say, the elves are believed to be extinct and have never been seen for centuries. A nation of fairies trade with the humans, but nobody actually know anything since they send human emissaries which are courteous but unnervingly detached.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

LORD GOAT THE 120524TH

• Bay Watcher
  • I only accept the finest cans
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2015, 08:22:52 pm »

Humans or other races, about 4-5 others and both weird and typical. If I cannot choose both then weird. But seriously I think we should have like a mini roleplay inside of this thread to keep people entertained. if you don't like that idea then just say no thank you or something, I don't mind.
Welcome to Bay 12. Drop off your soul in the collection plate on the left.-Remuthura

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2015, 08:29:29 pm »

Nonstandard races are certainly more interesting if you've got the time to create them.

Assuming they aren't anyone's fetish fuel, of course. I'd like to think that nobody here would go for that, but you run into it more than you'd think. *shudders*

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2015, 08:30:46 pm »

Well, since steampunk and old west is two separate options, I'll vote Old West for now and then try to nudge it gently towards having crazy tech.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2015, 08:37:34 pm »

Move away from standard fantasy races, or humans-with-bits-on. Or... change them up a bit.

Make giants herbivous, beaked monsters that live in the jungle and communicate with others by singing. Give them mayan or aztec themes: they build huge pyramid-cities in the jungle, owning powerful technology but stifled by overwhelming tradition and rituals.

Elves are immortal and immune to sickness, but that means they overpopulate the forests and caves they live in a spill out as a plague. Since their culture is very violent, with no real basis for cultural advancement, they're technologically primitive, relying on stone or stolen weaponry.

Dunno. Those were just examples. But more than standard fantasy races of orcs and stuff. No half-elves or things like that.

So I'd vote for wierd, but not just lolrandom. Make them have reasons, depending on what they were evolved or created from.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

LORD GOAT THE 120524TH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2015, 08:38:12 pm »

I'm not sure If this may seem a bit rude, but, and I quote
'I feel that we should have like a text adventure or minigames to pass the time waiting'
and
' But seriously I think we should have like a mini roleplay inside of this thread to keep people entertained. if you don't like that idea then just say no thank you or something, I don't mind.'

Could someone please just comment on my ideas, and as I have said previously, if you do not like them that's fine. Even if you just want me to quiet down at least just tell me.
Welcome to Bay 12. Drop off your soul in the collection plate on the left.-Remuthura

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2015, 08:44:40 pm »

'I feel that we should have like a text adventure or minigames to pass the time waiting'
and
' But seriously I think we should have like a mini roleplay inside of this thread to keep people entertained. if you don't like that idea then just say no thank you or something, I don't mind.'

Could someone please just comment on my ideas, and as I have said previously, if you do not like them that's fine. Even if you just want me to quiet down at least just tell me.

A RP of what? We haven't created the setting.
If you're just going to make something random, you can use a different thread for it.
If the setting is created, it's no longer an issue.

This is a thread to create a setting, not run a rp in it at the same time. That'll just make the thread mucky and interfere with clear discussion.

Nonstandard races are certainly more interesting if you've got the time to create them.

Assuming they aren't anyone's fetish fuel, of course. I'd like to think that nobody here would go for that, but you run into it more than you'd think. *shudders*
It has happened before on here, and it was just as horrendous as you'd expect. That's all I'll say on that.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Urist Arrhenius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2015, 08:47:45 pm »

and

A RP of what? We haven't created the setting.
If you're just going to make something random, you can use a different thread for it.
If the setting is created, it's no longer an issue.

This is a thread to create a setting, not run a rp in it at the same time. That'll just make the thread mucky and interfere with clear discussion.
I think a small RP would be cool once we get more established. Might even help create lore and locations of interest.
We're all just Simple Folk trying to get by.

You can also watch me learn to draw.

LORD GOAT THE 120524TH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 15, 2015, 08:48:55 pm »

O.K. thanks for the responses. 1 No and 1 Maybe Later.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 16, 2015, 12:13:34 am »

Move away from standard fantasy races, or humans-with-bits-on. Or... change them up a bit.

Make giants herbivous, beaked monsters that live in the jungle and communicate with others by singing. Give them mayan or aztec themes: they build huge pyramid-cities in the jungle, owning powerful technology but stifled by overwhelming tradition and rituals.

Elves are immortal and immune to sickness, but that means they overpopulate the forests and caves they live in a spill out as a plague. Since their culture is very violent, with no real basis for cultural advancement, they're technologically primitive, relying on stone or stolen weaponry.

Dunno. Those were just examples. But more than standard fantasy races of orcs and stuff. No half-elves or things like that.

So I'd vote for wierd, but not just lolrandom. Make them have reasons, depending on what they were evolved or created from.
I agree that we don't need to make up new races entirely from scratch. There's probably not much to be gained from making a two-headed, six-limbed, gliding monkey-like race with poisonous tails, especially if they're just going to end up with the culture of your standard better-than-thou fantasy elves. Though there is still room for weird new races, so long as they make sense.

I also agree that, if using standard fantasy races, we shouldn't just drop them in unchanged. If we have dwarves that are just hard-drinking bearded fetishists, we're doing ourselves a disservice. Though we shouldn't make them so weird and different that they aren't recognizable as their original form. If we have a race of tall, beardless humanoids that shoot psychic blasts from their third eye, they probably shouldn't be called dwarves.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Urist Arrhenius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 16, 2015, 12:40:31 am »

I agree that we don't need to make up new races entirely from scratch. There's probably not much to be gained from making a two-headed, six-limbed, gliding monkey-like race with poisonous tails, especially if they're just going to end up with the culture of your standard better-than-thou fantasy elves. Though there is still room for weird new races, so long as they make sense.

I also agree that, if using standard fantasy races, we shouldn't just drop them in unchanged. If we have dwarves that are just hard-drinking bearded fetishists, we're doing ourselves a disservice. Though we shouldn't make them so weird and different that they aren't recognizable as their original form. If we have a race of tall, beardless humanoids that shoot psychic blasts from their third eye, they probably shouldn't be called dwarves.
I think it depends on how you define making up a new race. If it has to be so completely novel it could never be compared to an existing race, then it's probably just going to create problems to attempt to create one. But if you're willing to accept that your new race may seem like elves, but with a few major changes (obligate carnivores, disdain magic), then I think making a new race is valuable. Though that's maybe what you're talking about in terms of changing them?

For what it's worth, I think races with novel value systems and means of communication are really interesting. Elcor from ME serve as a great example of weird race creation done correctly. Another thing I'd like to see would be a race that migrates by necessity. I don't know that that's been done really.
We're all just Simple Folk trying to get by.

You can also watch me learn to draw.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 16, 2015, 12:46:09 am »

How about a post-post-apocalyptic mythic fantasy game where the gods return to the destroyed lands of the sentient races to rebuild the world?

In addition, I think 4-5 extra races are too many. Better to have about two and then develop their respective concepts with fresher ideas rather than spread these fresh ideas over four or five concepts.

Or instead don't set a specific number of extra races, and add a race if there's a good concept to be had.

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 16, 2015, 12:57:33 am »

Sounds cool.

Rex Invictus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 16, 2015, 03:12:57 am »

Humans or other races, about 4-5 others and both weird and typical. If I cannot choose both then weird. But seriously I think we should have like a mini roleplay inside of this thread to keep people entertained. if you don't like that idea then just say no thank you or something, I don't mind.

I have no problem with you doing it, I just don't know what it'll be. :p
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8