Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Face your Fears: A mod to make adventurers WANT to fight bogeymen (concept)  (Read 1620 times)

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game

Bogeymen are annoying and are the death of many low-level adventurers.  They inevitably kill you until you reach a high enough level to fight them off reliably, and then they are simply a waste of time.  Worst of all, you don't even get anything for fighting them.

What if that last bit was changed somehow?

The general idea is this: A custom creature called a 'soul wisp' may show up during a bogey attack.  When killed, the wisp drops an edible 'soul'.  Eating this soul gives you the power to 'face your fears', which can target only bogeymen and night creatures.  It transforms regular generated bogeys (which I will call 'tier 0') into a random 'tier 1' custom bogeyman, which will be about as powerful as a regular (non-bogeyman) night creature.  These stronger bogeymen, when killed, also drop souls.  By eating a tier 1 soul, you gain the ability to transform tier 0 bogeymen into tier 2 bogeymen, and so on.  These bogeymen could possibly be thematically based on common phobias: giant spiders, fire spirits, snakes, clowns (like, ACTUAL clowns)...

Eating bogeyman souls will sometimes (randomly) give you permanent powers thematically related to the bogeyman that dropped it.  A fire spirit might let you throw fireballs, a bogeyspider might let you shoot webs, a bat bogey might let you turn into a bat man.  Basically, it would be an alternate way of gaining special powers in adventure mode without having to storm a necro tower or get bitten by a werebeast, but of course you'd have to be strong enough to fight even stronger bogeymen, and you wouldn't be able to run away once you started...

There could also be a 'final boss' bogeyman (something even stronger than a demon) which, when defeated, would drop an extremely powerful item that could be used in fortress mode.  Don't know what that item would be, though.

Anyway, I'm still working out the details... so does anyone have any ideas?

EDIT: Another idea - making each type of soul awaken only particular types of creatures.  This would allow the adventurer to progress along a 'tech tree', similar to a class advancement system, but where the classes would be regulated by the types of bogeymen you chose to fight.  Not sure if choosing one path should block off the other paths, though.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile

sounds cool

YAHG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Maybe if there was a way to make boogie man blood give you temporary ingested syndromes like skill_rates:500 or something similar. I'm not sure how hard this is to do though since I think most boogies are randomly generated.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile

Maybe if there was a way to make boogie man blood give you temporary ingested syndromes like skill_rates:500 or something similar. I'm not sure how hard this is to do though since I think most boogies are randomly generated.
That's true, but it is possible to mod in your own bogeymen. Just use the [BOGEYMAN] (I think) tag and it makes your creature do bogeyman things.

YAHG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That's true, but it is possible to mod in your own bogeymen. Just use the [BOGEYMAN] (I think) tag and it makes your creature do bogeyman things.

If all the generated boogie men have that tag maybe there is a way to make a regional interaction that gives them an interaction they will use on our adventurers giving them temporary bonus's to training.

One cool thing about that would be being able to set the interactions up by biome etc. so that we could make forest boogiemen train fighter and mountain ones train climber or whatever. :)

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hmm, I don't know if that would work.  Bogeymen don't seem to operate within the normal rules of biomes.

You can't target the [NIGHT_CREATURE_BOGEYMAN] tag, but you could target all night creatures using the following:
Code: [Select]
[IT_AFFECTED_CLASS:GENERAL_POISON]
[IT_AFFECTED_CLASS:NIGHT_CREATURE]
[IT_IMMUNE_CLASS:NOT_NIGHT_CREATURE][IT_REQUIRES:NO_DRINK:NO_EAT:NO_SLEEP:NOPAIN:NOSTUN:NONAUSEA:NOFEAR:NOEXERT:NO_DIZZINESS:NO_FEVERS:NOBREATHE:CAN_LEARN:CAN_SPEAK]

Among vanilla creatures, there is no creature that satisfies all of these requirements except night creatures.  Titans and forgotten beasts can't speak, and angels/demons lack a CREATURE_CLASS, while all night creatures are GENERAL_POISON.  NIGHT_CREATURE and NOT_NIGHT_CREATURE are custom tags that would allow you to make modded creatures that either are or aren't affected by the ability without following these rules (although they would still need all the proper tags to be affected).
Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a way of targeting bogeymen only, since regular night creatures have the same qualities.

YAHG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I though that all the regular night creatures were spouse converters? Maybe that is a way to select against them.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile

SPOUSE_CONVERTER and CONVERTED_SPOUSE are not applicable creature tags for interactions.

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

With my wrapper script it is possible to have a script reaction only work against the [NIGHT_CREATURE_BOGEYMAN] tag, or any other tag in this long this:
Code: [Select]
AMPHIBIOUS               = false
AQUATIC                  = false
LOCKPICKER               = false
MISCHIEVOUS              = false
PATTERNFLIER             = false
CURIOUSBEAST_ANY         = false
CURIOUSBEAST_ITEM        = false
CURIOUSBEAST_GUZZLER     = false
FLEEQUICK                = false
AT_PEACE_WITH_WILDLIFE   = false
SWIMS_LEARNED            = false
OPPOSED_TO_LIFE          = false
CURIOUSBEAST_EATER       = false
NO_EAT                   = false
NO_DRINK                 = false
NO_SLEEP                 = true
COMMON_DOMESTIC          = false
WAGON_PULLER             = false
PACK_ANIMAL              = false
FLIER                    = false
LARGE_PREDATOR           = false
MAGMA_VISION             = false
FIREIMMUNE               = false
FIREIMMUNE_SUPER         = false
WEBBER                   = false
WEBIMMUNE                = false
FISHITEM                 = false
IMMOBILE_LAND            = false
IMMOLATE                 = false
MILKABLE                 = false
NO_SPRING                = false
NO_SUMMER                = false
NO_AUTUMN                = false
NO_WINTER                = false
BENIGN                   = false
VERMIN_NOROAM            = false
VERMIN_NOTRAP            = true
VERMIN_NOFISH            = false
HAS_NERVES               = true
NO_DIZZINESS             = true
NO_FEVERS                = false
NO_UNIT_TYPE_COLOR       = false
NO_CONNECTIONS_FOR_MOVEMENT      = false
unk_2b                   = false
AMBUSHPREDATOR           = false
unk_2d                   = false
NOT_BUTCHERABLE          = true
COOKABLE_LIVE            = false
SECRETION                = false
IMMOBILE                 = false
MULTIPART_FULL_VISION    = false
MEANDERER                = false
THICKWEB                 = false
TRAINABLE_HUNTING        = false
PET                      = true
PET_EXOTIC               = false
unk_38                   = true
CAN_SPEAK                = false
CAN_LEARN                = false
UTTERANCES               = false
BONECARN                 = false
CARNIVORE                = false
UNDERSWIM                = false
NOEXERT                  = false
NOPAIN                   = false
EXTRAVISION              = false
NOBREATHE                = false
NOSTUN                   = false
NONAUSEA                 = false
BLOOD                    = true
TRANCES                  = false
NOEMOTION                = false
SLOW_LEARNER             = false
NOSTUCKINS               = false
PUS                      = true
NOSKULL                  = false
NOSKIN                   = false
NOBONES                  = true
NOMEAT                   = false
PARALYZEIMMUNE           = false
NOFEAR                   = false
CANOPENDOORS             = false
ITEMCORPSE               = false
GETS_WOUND_INFECTIONS    = true
NOSMELLYROT              = false
REMAINS_UNDETERMINED     = false
HASSHELL                 = false
PEARL                    = false
TRAINABLE_WAR            = false
NO_THOUGHT_CENTER_FOR_MOVEMENT   = false
ARENA_RESTRICTED         = false
LAIR_HUNTER              = false
LIKES_FIGHTING           = false
VERMIN_HATEABLE          = true
VEGETATION               = false
MAGICAL                  = false
NATURAL                  = true
BABY                     = false
CHILD                    = false
MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE     = false
MOUNT                    = false
MOUNT_EXOTIC             = false
FEATURE_ATTACK_GROUP     = false
VERMIN_MICRO             = false
EQUIPS                   = false
LAYS_EGGS                = false
GRAZER                   = false
NOTHOUGHT                = false
TRAPAVOID                = false
CAVE_ADAPT               = false
MEGABEAST                = false
SEMIMEGABEAST            = false
ALL_ACTIVE               = true
DIURNAL                  = false
NOCTURNAL                = false
CREPUSCULAR              = false
MATUTINAL                = false
VESPERTINE               = false
LIGHT_GEN                = false
LISP                     = false
GETS_INFECTIONS_FROM_ROT         = true
unk_79                   = false
ALCOHOL_DEPENDENT        = false
SWIMS_INNATE             = false
POWER                    = false
unk_7d                   = false
unk_7e                   = false
CASTE_TILE               = false
CASTE_COLOR              = false
unk_81                   = false
unk_82                   = false
FEATURE_BEAST            = false
TITAN                    = false
UNIQUE_DEMON             = false
DEMON                    = false
MANNERISM_LAUGH          = false
MANNERISM_SMILE          = false
MANNERISM_WALK           = false
MANNERISM_SIT            = false
MANNERISM_BREATH         = false
MANNERISM_POSTURE        = false
MANNERISM_STRETCH        = false
MANNERISM_EYELIDS        = false
NIGHT_CREATURE_ANY       = false
NIGHT_CREATURE_HUNTER    = false
NIGHT_CREATURE_BOGEYMAN  = false
CONVERTED_SPOUSE         = false
SPOUSE_CONVERTER         = false
SPOUSE_CONVERSION_TARGET         = false
DIE_WHEN_VERMIN_BITE     = false
REMAINS_ON_VERMIN_BITE_DEATH     = false
COLONY_EXTERNAL          = false
LAYS_UNUSUAL_EGGS        = false
RETURNS_VERMIN_KILLS_TO_OWNER    = false
HUNTS_VERMIN             = false
ADOPTS_OWNER             = false
SOUND_ALERT              = false
SOUND_PEACEFUL_INTERMITTENT      = false
unk_9e                   = false
unk_9f                   = false
unk_a0                   = false
CRAZED                   = false
BLOODSUCKER              = false
NO_VEGETATION_PERTURB    = false
DIVE_HUNTS_VERMIN        = false
GOBBLE_VERMIN            = false
CANNOT_JUMP              = true
STANCE_CLIMBER           = false
CANNOT_CLIMB             = false
(Note that this output is from a WORM)

Granted the interaction will still target whomever, but the attached script will only be run against the correct creature.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I know it's possible with dfhack, but I want to make it independent of extra tools.

I guess it doesn't matter if you can use it on night creatures, as long as you are forced to fight them alone.  One idea: the new bogeymen can have the ability to instantly kill anyone who did not awaken them.  Or turn them berserk.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
Re: Face your Fears: A mod to make adventurers WANT to fight bogeymen (concept)
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2015, 05:41:39 am »

Could gen without night creatures, that is an option if you want bogeymen to replace the scary stuff in the dark right?

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
Re: Face your Fears: A mod to make adventurers WANT to fight bogeymen (concept)
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2015, 06:15:39 am »

which is weird as night_creature_bogeyman works well if you slap that on Civs entities and will spawn normally outside of the cackling... as proven with humans having that tag.
all it did was when the cackling arrived it rain naked human beings and instant kill every single human when the cackling ends, thus playing a human with the tag on is pretty much a game of super avoiding the cackling as there's 100% no non modding way to avoid dying from the cackling if you're a bogeyman(killing all the bogeymen will kill you due to the cackling ends, walking inside will instantly kill everyone with the tag on even those who  existed before the cackling pop into town).

That said you could write some interactions that effect that tag and transforms folks into that maybe grant them nofear so bogeymen won't target them but unless provoked.
though I don't know if there's a good way to mod folks into wanting to risk their characters on elite super smaller than fluffy rwamblers that doesn't make the whole having "to fight them all the time at night because I have no friends"

I guess you could straight up grant the player access to capture one if they survive the night and consume a bogeyman and ressurect/reanimate a bogeyman, if they do this right after the cackling ends they could snag a perma free from cackling bogey mininon hell have the player transform into a weird beast for set amount of turns to cast said spell.
other than that, A bogeyboss should just be able to straight up cast a spell to remove the Night_creature_bogeyman tag from himself and every other dead bogeyman and spook players knowing they just can't end this by walking inside also casting the night_creature_bogeyman tag on them so they have to run around and prolong the fight until the cure is found unless the cackling will take them both.

Oh yeah wonder if toady fix that bit where elves get punch out of their trees because those don't count as being inside thus not a safe haven from the super small cuddly critters that ride fluffywambler mounts.

edit: oh yeah as a necromancer if you're super lucky and skilled you can reanimate their dead bodies, and if you do so at the RIGHT moment when the cackling is over and their bodies haven't vanish you can keep those zombified remains of the onslaught you caused, though to build an army of nothing but those guys you need to place them in a spot away from you and try to bate the cackling again.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 06:19:53 am by Rumrusher »
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes