Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 40

Author Topic: Fertile Lands - A Vanigo Empire Game - Turn 54 - 2 Players Needed  (Read 37861 times)

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fertile Lands - A Vanigo Empire Game - Turn 15
« Reply #180 on: February 28, 2015, 08:08:10 am »

Skipping SilverDragon because he's taken 36 hours.

You've literally undone something he did in his last turn. Automating someone seems all well and good when what they want to do is obvious, but when it's not a little bit of patience seems like it would be a valuable thing. 36 hours isn't that long. (Especially when it's not like we even have rules about turn times...)
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 08:15:09 am by Criptfeind »

SilverDragon

• Bay Watcher
  • For glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: February 28, 2015, 10:59:20 am »

Yes, and I'm sorry about that. My internet company cut us until about an hour ago and I've been taking care of a bunch of stuff. I'll do my turn in a moment.

Spoiler: Turn 15 (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 11:00:57 am by SilverDragon »
Apparently coding DF is equivalent to slaying hydras.

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't really have any answers for you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: February 28, 2015, 11:32:52 am »

Skipping SilverDragon because he's taken 36 hours.

You've literally undone something he did in his last turn. Automating someone seems all well and good when what they want to do is obvious, but when it's not a little bit of patience seems like it would be a valuable thing. 36 hours isn't that long. (Especially when it's not like we even have rules about turn times...)
I sent him a PM reminding him of his turn, and he had been online since then and did not take his turn. So I automated him. I warned him in the past that he was holding up the game and that I would have to replace him if he couldn't keep up with the other players. So it's only by his request that I'm auto'ing him at all, instead of just replacing him with Rolepgeek. I undid something he did in his last turn because it looked like he was going to make an extremely poor decision, and while I'd be willing to let him make that poor decision on his own, since I was taking over for him, I undid it.
I think I'm an alright guy. I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I'm not perfect, but God knows I try.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: February 28, 2015, 11:34:33 am »

Can we get actual like. Knowledge how long this hidden "do your turn by now or get rekt" timer is then? Because here he is, back now, able to take a turn within 48 hours. Which honestly seems pretty reasonable.

Like, a three day timer seems pretty reasonable to stop the GM from fucking you over, specially since you're going to enter with your own overpowered fraction in another couple of dozen turns, so you won't even be unbiased then.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 11:36:47 am by Criptfeind »

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: February 28, 2015, 11:39:44 am »

I will usually send you a reminder after 24 hours. If you log onto the forums, and are online, and don't post your turn, and then log off again, I will auto you.

Also, I'm going to introduce an NPC threat in more than twice the number of turns we've already taken, and when I submit the turns for that, I will do it before I handle any of the turns submitted by other players so that I don't know what they're going to do. The idea that I'm going to enter with an "overpowered faction" is kind of laughable, honestly; I'm going to do my best to balance it to whatever stage you guys are at at the time, and was even planning to delay it if you didn't seem like you were ready. What's with the sudden outburst of bitching? I didn't fuck him over, I actually helped him, considering I have more experience with the game than him, and any action he was planning to take with that maneuver was ill-advised.
I think I'm an alright guy. I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I'm not perfect, but God knows I try.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: February 28, 2015, 11:41:55 am »

What action do you think he was going to take?

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: February 28, 2015, 12:05:59 pm »

Ok, in light of a discussion, I've moved SilverDragon's army two squares northwest. I'm phone posting right now, so I can't change the XML, but in the future, if you have an issue with something I do as GM, please bring it to me in PM.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

SilverDragon

• Bay Watcher
  • For glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: February 28, 2015, 01:27:36 pm »

In point of fact I wasn't even able to open bay12forums for the past two days, which is why I did not post, and it won't happen again, because my data reset. Also if any of you move to Australia I do not recommend purchasing a bliNK WiFi.
Apparently coding DF is equivalent to slaying hydras.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: February 28, 2015, 01:43:15 pm »

You'll probably want to redo your turn as well SilverDragon, in light of your armies being moved around.

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: February 28, 2015, 03:18:11 pm »

Ok, I've updated the XML so you guys can see what I'm talking about.

In point of fact I wasn't even able to open bay12forums for the past two days, which is why I did not post, and it won't happen again, because my data reset. Also if any of you move to Australia I do not recommend purchasing a bliNK WiFi.

All Australian wifi is terrible, or so I've heard. It's really nothing personal, I like you, but these turns cannot take 36 hours this early in the game, or it's going to take forever to get to the point where you're doing more than 2-3 things a turn. Even though I like having you in the game, I'd rather replace you with someone else than wait that long every turn. I'll do what I have to do to keep the pace up. If you weren't the only one who was constantly late, I wouldn't auto anyone.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: February 28, 2015, 04:09:46 pm »

Also, I'm going to introduce an NPC threat in more than twice the number of turns we've already taken, and when I submit the turns for that, I will do it before I handle any of the turns submitted by other players so that I don't know what they're going to do. The idea that I'm going to enter with an "overpowered faction" is kind of laughable, honestly; I'm going to do my best to balance it to whatever stage you guys are at at the time, and was even planning to delay it if you didn't seem like you were ready. What's with the sudden outburst of bitching? I didn't fuck him over, I actually helped him, considering I have more experience with the game than him, and any action he was planning to take with that maneuver was ill-advised.
You should probably try to be a little more chill about all this Squeegy.
Also, if he is planning on an action that is stupid, you shouldn't have really intervened when his intention was pretty clear (sending all his troops north, presumably to murder themselves against the Easterners). I know its god awfully painful to watch over like 3 turns while a new player does something stupid, and as a result gets majorly screwed over. But it isn't really fair to the other players to intervene on their behalf.
I'm aware I'm a complete hypocrite about this, as during the game I was adminning two games ago I autoed players far more effectively then they played themselves (and would probably have done the same action you did with his army), but you should still endeavor to try to auto the players at a equivalent efficiency to how they themselves are playing.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: February 28, 2015, 04:17:13 pm »

You should probably try to be a little more chill about all this Squeegy.
Also, if he is planning on an action that is stupid, you shouldn't have really intervened when his intention was pretty clear (sending all his troops north, presumably to murder themselves against the Easterners). I know its god awfully painful to watch over like 3 turns while a new player does something stupid, and as a result gets majorly screwed over. But it isn't really fair to the other players to intervene on their behalf.
I'm aware I'm a complete hypocrite about this, as during the game I was adminning two games ago I autoed players far more effectively then they played themselves (and would probably have done the same action you did with his army), but you should still endeavor to try to auto the players at a equivalent efficiency to how they themselves are playing.
That's exactly what it looked like his intention was. It was pretty clear, but I discussed it with the parties involved and reverted the decision. I wouldn't have intervened if I wasn't auto'ing him, and the only other thing I could have done was just leave his army there because I didn't know what he was doing it, so I think he actually came off better this way than that.

I felt the way Criptfiend approached this was rather rude, so that is why my tone was terse.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: February 28, 2015, 04:27:39 pm »

Mmmm, yeah, he was pretty rude there, your response in this case was entirely justified. In general though you do seem to be reacting a little too harshly to things.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: February 28, 2015, 05:21:01 pm »

I'm going to have to quit the game. After talking to Squeegy in private I've decided I'm not going to be able to play a game with a GM who keeps his rules secret from the players and refuses to talk to them about it.

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: February 28, 2015, 05:23:59 pm »

Airing out dirty laundry aside, I've invited Rolepgeek to take Criptfiend's place. If he is unable, I will ask Kashyyk and take over the automating of Pencil_Art myself. Once we have a replacement, we'll be able to proceed to the next turn and put all this behind us.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 40