Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 40

Author Topic: Fertile Lands - A Vanigo Empire Game - Turn 54 - 2 Players Needed  (Read 37864 times)

SilverDragon

• Bay Watcher
  • For glory!
    • View Profile
Re: Fertile Lands - A Vanigo Empire Game - Turn 9
« Reply #135 on: February 21, 2015, 08:06:32 pm »

Spoiler: Turn 9 (click to show/hide)
Apparently coding DF is equivalent to slaying hydras.

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't really have any answers for you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: February 21, 2015, 08:13:47 pm »

Spoiler: Turn 9 (click to show/hide)

Turn 10

Player interface
Admin Interface

Westerners - Pencil_Art
Islanders - hector13
Manen - scapheap
Southerners - SilverDragon
Easterners - Criptfiend
I think I'm an alright guy. I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I'm not perfect, but God knows I try.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fertile Lands - A Vanigo Empire Game - Turn 10
« Reply #137 on: February 21, 2015, 08:59:04 pm »

Spoiler: turn (click to show/hide)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: February 21, 2015, 09:02:45 pm »

Spoiler: Turn 10 (click to show/hide)
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: February 22, 2015, 12:39:00 am »

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: February 22, 2015, 01:41:16 pm »

Never thought I'd see the day when Pencil_Art posted faster than scapheap.
I think I'm an alright guy. I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I'm not perfect, but God knows I try.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

SilverDragon

• Bay Watcher
  • For glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: February 22, 2015, 09:19:46 pm »

I'm so sorry, I've been reduced to using my phones mobile hot spot because my crappy Wi-Fi ran out of data. Expect an edit in about 5-10 minutes.

« Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 09:22:19 pm by SilverDragon »

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: February 22, 2015, 11:23:17 pm »

Never thought I'd see the day when Pencil_Art posted faster than scapheap.

:D

scapheap

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a good guy...girl. My horse just eat souls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: February 23, 2015, 04:26:59 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
You were planning to have a 15 year old magical girl kill Witches by drinking them under the table!? It's original, at least.
Morpheus, a magic girls game

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: February 23, 2015, 01:11:27 pm »

Turn 11

Player interface
Admin Interface

Westerners - Pencil_Art
Islanders - hector13
Manen - scapheap
Southerners - SilverDragon
Easterners - Criptfiend
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
Re: Fertile Lands - A Vanigo Empire Game - Turn 11
« Reply #145 on: February 23, 2015, 01:20:04 pm »

Spoiler: Turn 11 (click to show/hide)

Edit for turn number error.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 01:24:46 pm by hector13 »
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

scapheap

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a good guy...girl. My horse just eat souls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: February 23, 2015, 01:21:42 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
You were planning to have a 15 year old magical girl kill Witches by drinking them under the table!? It's original, at least.
Morpheus, a magic girls game

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: February 23, 2015, 06:29:55 pm »

And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

SilverDragon

• Bay Watcher
  • For glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: February 23, 2015, 06:41:44 pm »

Spoiler: Turn 11 (click to show/hide)

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: February 23, 2015, 06:57:51 pm »

This game is not exactly economically complex. Especially on such a large map as this. Whether one can outgrow their opponents or not was basically determined on turn one and for the most part it's not really a function of skill, but starting position. I'm not sure if you can call "having the best starting spot" a strategy that it's possible to be good at...
Even in symmetrical maps their is substantial differences in players growth on any reasonable time scale. While if everyone was playing perfectly optimally growth would be determined at the start of the game, everyone doesn't actually grow perfectly optimally, and there are numerous things you need to balance (pop growth vs number of cities and city size, building troop buildings vs investing in buildings that help your long term production, food production vs wood/stone production, which inspiration buildings you choose to build).
Some players simply grow much better then other players and make clearly sub-optimal production choices. A good example is this game, where by the end one player had 3 times the labor of his opponent who had grown the least despite the map being perfectly symmetrical, despite not a single city changing hands.
I believe (but I could be completely wrong) that population you get from food consumes 1 food per turn, so eventually everyone's population will level out to the maximum that their lands are capable of supporting. However, the tiles that you choose to claim with your population (as well as what improvements you build) make a big difference in the early game, so it's possible for someone to get a big early lead by choosing to claim tiles for food over any tiles with other resources, or building a farm every turn. However, everyone else will eventually catch up to them, and while they'll have a lead in population and labor, they'll suffer on resources, which don't taper off over time.
Eventually everyone pop will even out but this takes an extremely long time, as that 200th pop may take 50 turns of gaining 2 food per turn. But having more food growth early does have a cost in labor strength and city size (as if you put 1/2 your pop into cities you produce much less food then the person that puts 1/4 into cities). Finding the perfect balance is very important, as if you put all your pop into food production, then you will have by far the most production, but will have no cities with which to do everything. If you put everyone into cities, then you will have almost no population, and you will end up with far fewer cities then everyone else, which will result in a stronger very early game, but you will fall farther and farther behind as the game progresses. Logically the perfect amount is somewhere between these two (and will change depending on the stage of the game), that allows you to build up your cities while still growing steadily.
In general: More pop in food means that you will end up with more pop, which allows you to claim more tiles, and eventually have more cities than your opponents (in addition to having more land). This costs you in the short-medium term, and depending on your ratio may cost you more than it gains you.
More pop in cities and resource production means that you end up with a more developed empire in, but you will have less tiles and fewer cities in the end. This makes you more powerful in the short-medium term, but again, depending on your ratio may cost you more then it gains you.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 40