Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: All of my grazing animals are starving I'm I doing something wrong?  (Read 3203 times)

miguelsz2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

For some reason all of my pastured animals are starving. I've tried different sized pastures and giving each one their own massive pens but they just keep slowly starving to death. The animals in the picture are from immigrants my orignal set of grazing animals all starved to death. I'm currently using the latest version of PYLNP. I'm completely confused as I've never really had this issue before in v0.34.

Image:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 11:44:43 pm by miguelsz2 »

Pirate Santa

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_EATER]
    • View Profile
Re: All of my grazing animals are starving I'm I doing something wrong?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2015, 12:14:54 am »

That pasture looks like it should be more than enough to feed that small handful of animals. Have you altered your graze coefficient at all?
Welcome to Dwarf Fortress. Where peaceful death of old age is something nobody sees coming.
it turns out Dog Bone Doctors aren't very good at doctoring.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2015, 12:18:06 am »

They say there's a bug if you use burrow....

By the way, you can remove the pastures to see if they can eat normally. Actually you don't need pasture to feed them, as long as they stand on grass tiles.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

miguelsz2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2015, 12:26:48 am »

That pasture looks like it should be more than enough to feed that small handful of animals. Have you altered your graze coefficient at all?

PYLNP says 100 so I think it's at defualt. Also no burrows or anything like that.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2015, 12:47:54 am »

What if you remove the pasture?
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Pirate Santa

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2015, 01:03:50 am »

PYLNP says 100 so I think it's at defualt. Also no burrows or anything like that.
100 is the default and it is also the lowest setting for how much grazers need to eat. Try what utunnels said and remove the pasture.
Welcome to Dwarf Fortress. Where peaceful death of old age is something nobody sees coming.
it turns out Dog Bone Doctors aren't very good at doctoring.

miguelsz2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2015, 02:56:56 am »

Doesn't seem to have helped as they are all just going to my underground meeting hall.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2015, 03:10:44 am »

Doesn't seem to have helped as they are all just going to my underground meeting hall.

I mean, does their hungery status go away after that? You know, the flashing brownish downward arrow.

miguelsz2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2015, 03:57:22 am »

Nope.
Now they're starving rather than hungry.

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2015, 04:14:59 am »

Weird. Try uploading your save folder to http://dffd.bay12games.com/ and fill a bugreport at http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/bug_report_page.php so we can get a closer look.

Beside that 0006240: Civilian alerts restricted to burrows preclude grazing outside those burrows I don't see any similar bugreports there.
Beside other things, bay12forums is also the leader website in calculations of saguaro wood density.
(noted by jwoodward48df)

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2015, 06:30:20 am »

Check your installed modifications - one of them has replaced all grass types with a dysfunctional unified "grass" that provides no (or next to no) sustenance. You can clear the bug tracker ticket, it's a mod problem and should be reported to the modmakers (if the mod is actually supposed to be used with .40.24).

miguelsz2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2015, 04:15:22 pm »

Do you know how I can fix this? As far as i'm aware I just got the defualt lnp stuff installed and i've tried replacing all the raws with a defualt installation of the game doesn't seem to have helped.

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2015, 04:24:42 pm »

Do you know how I can fix this? As far as i'm aware I just got the defualt lnp stuff installed and i've tried replacing all the raws with a defualt installation of the game doesn't seem to have helped.
Copying new raws over old ones is a not a good idea. The more with various modpacks.
Try rather putting vanilla DF to other location and try both a new fort and your copied save folder. Does this issue still happen? The old save may have been corrupted beyond repair.
Beside other things, bay12forums is also the leader website in calculations of saguaro wood density.
(noted by jwoodward48df)

Fatman322

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2015, 03:22:15 pm »

I had the same problem with "Masterwork" mods. The grass would be trampled and destroyed no matter how small the creature was that stepped on it and it didn't feed my grazers. Had to just use the color and text but leave out everything else. This seemed to fix the issue, now my grazers are fat, happy and unaware of their fate as a future meal/bag/bar of soap.