Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 16

Author Topic: Knights of the Neutral Republic - UNDEAD LP: Recap Episode  (Read 94057 times)

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
Re: Knights of the Neutral Republic - Part 25: Growling Simulator 2015
« Reply #150 on: December 31, 2015, 08:12:34 pm »

Why in the fuck do you have such high dexterity? WHY DID YOU FOCUS ON THE DUMP STAT? MY MIND IS BOGGLED!
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: December 31, 2015, 08:26:37 pm »

Why in the fuck do you have such high dexterity? WHY DID YOU FOCUS ON THE DUMP STAT? MY MIND IS BOGGLED!
Dexterity is used for hitting and dodging, if I recall. Anyway, this game is actually pretty easy except for Malak, and I know how to cheese him (kiting (and dodging) + throw lightsaber (yes, really)). Besides, the entire party will be massively overpowered by the end, especially since I'm leaning towards making Carth into a ranged killing machine and Juhani as his melee counterpart.

I think you gave me an idea for what I'll call the next update, or at least write in the spoiler title.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: January 01, 2016, 08:10:59 am »

Not hitting. That's Strength, even for lightsabers. Your Dexterity bonus does increase your AC, but limited by your armor. Dexterity is only used for hitting with a gun. I don't recall if it's in this one of just the sequel, but there is a feat called Weapon Finess(which also exists in 3.5th Edition D&D), which allows you to use your Dexterity bonus if it's higher than strength.

(Fun fact, if your armor's max Dex-bonus-to-AC is +8, such as naked, clothing, or simple Jedi robes or the like, there's no limit according to tests with a save editor.)
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: January 01, 2016, 11:59:44 am »

I'm sure there's a build out there that focuses only on Dexterity with a Scoundrel, and uses the dual-wielding pistols thing to basically get through the game.

Might even be an LP of it somewhere...
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: January 03, 2016, 09:27:16 am »

Not hitting. That's Strength, even for lightsabers. Your Dexterity bonus does increase your AC, but limited by your armor. Dexterity is only used for hitting with a gun. I don't recall if it's in this one of just the sequel, but there is a feat called Weapon Finess(which also exists in 3.5th Edition D&D), which allows you to use your Dexterity bonus if it's higher than strength.

(Fun fact, if your armor's max Dex-bonus-to-AC is +8, such as naked, clothing, or simple Jedi robes or the like, there's no limit according to tests with a save editor.)
This. And the feat is only in the second one, so Teneb has irrevocably soiled his character with...like THE WORST stats. Just looking at it gives me an aneurism.

Oh, and if you wanna fall back on "but it helps me dodge" it helps you dodge by your bonus. So with 18 you get +4. "Well that doesn't sound so bad" you might say, EXCEPT EVERY ARMOR IN THE GAME IS BETTER THEN THAT, AND 90% OF IT IS MUTUALLY EXCLUSIVE WITH THAT +4!
EDIT: going back and checking, yes the armor you have on RIGHT NOW only lets you use half that bonus. So you are right now wasting 4 design points you could have put somewhere useful. Actually the way it works that's MORE then 4 design points because its all weird and logarithmic or something.

So yeah, you might as well just restart now :P
« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 09:29:51 am by BFEL »

Indeed, I do this.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: January 03, 2016, 09:47:34 am »

Dexterity can be helpful if you want to be a robe-wearing Jedi addicted to Speed, since armor removes the possibility for Speed (unlike in the second one, where they had a bunch of armors that let you keep powers and be armored). Though it's not like those few extra points of Defense really even matter in that case. And there's just something really cool about a Jedi wearing power armor.

Inspired by this LP, I did a neutral playthrough myself. My god, playing as a guardian lightsaber master is broken as shit when you compare it to the crappy gunslinger Jedi I tended to gravitate toward in my first few efforts.

Spoiler: On the endgame (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 09:50:09 am by Harry Baldman »

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: January 03, 2016, 10:05:59 am »

Started the sequel, and I am happy to say that the same strategy works just as well there, too. Except now you can put on special armor and use Speed + Flurry + Double-Bladed Lightsaber + Outrageous Crafting.
Note that in the sequel if you want maximum melee murder you should go dark side. Prestige classes man. They fuck shit up.
Oh and DOUBLE BLADED? THE FUCK AGAIN. That's half as many crafting slots for absolutely no benefit over two saber style. Well, except maybe aesthetics if you're into that.

Indeed, I do this.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: January 03, 2016, 07:44:39 pm »

Started the sequel, and I am happy to say that the same strategy works just as well there, too. Except now you can put on special armor and use Speed + Flurry + Double-Bladed Lightsaber + Outrageous Crafting.
Note that in the sequel if you want maximum melee murder you should go dark side. Prestige classes man. They fuck shit up.
Oh and DOUBLE BLADED? THE FUCK AGAIN. That's half as many crafting slots for absolutely no benefit over two saber style. Well, except maybe aesthetics if you're into that.

Pretty sure wielding two lightsabers gives you a fairly significant penalty to attacks, reduced by three progressively stronger feats. Not sure if lightsabers can be made balanced(which reduces the penalty it receives if it's the off-hand weapon). I think with all three feats and a balanced off-hand weapon, it's still a minor penalty of 0/-2, meaning you have no penalty on your primary weapon's attack, but a -2 on your off-hand weapon's. By the time you can get all three feats, the penalty is probably insignificant anyway.

Then again, I never used double-bladed lightsabers, so I don't know if those count as two weapons(ie two attacks).
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: January 03, 2016, 08:33:25 pm »

Pretty sure wielding two lightsabers gives you a fairly significant penalty to attacks, reduced by three progressively stronger feats. Not sure if lightsabers can be made balanced(which reduces the penalty it receives if it's the off-hand weapon). I think with all three feats and a balanced off-hand weapon, it's still a minor penalty of 0/-2, meaning you have no penalty on your primary weapon's attack, but a -2 on your off-hand weapon's. By the time you can get all three feats, the penalty is probably insignificant anyway.

Then again, I never used double-bladed lightsabers, so I don't know if those count as two weapons(ie two attacks).
Yes, the issue I'm bringing up is that double bladed sabers have exactly those same drawbacks with half the slots to put extra min/max into.
Also, one of the Prestige class feats in the second game (for the combat focused ones, which are actually the only ones really worth looking at) is "Superior Two-Handed fighting, which takes those three progressively stronger feats and runs with them to the point where dual wielding gives you a full on BONUS to attack.

Indeed, I do this.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: January 03, 2016, 09:24:11 pm »

Wow, I lose access to B12 for about 24 hours, and suddenly there are more posts in a day than I usually get in a week.

On the dump stat thing, I will just repeat myself: this game is actually very easy. Seriously. I could dump all the stat points from now until the endgame into dexterity or even charisma/intelligence and still be viable for the endgame.

Of course, just to troll BFEL, I will dump ALL points into dexterity (assuming the game lets me). Time to become a (neutral!) speed addict!
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: January 03, 2016, 09:25:20 pm »

Noo.  Lightsabers.  More lightsabers.  MOAR LIGHTSABER WHACKING POTENTIAL.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: January 04, 2016, 03:29:02 am »

« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 03:37:57 am by Harry Baldman »

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: January 04, 2016, 11:52:38 am »

Indeed, I do this.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Knights of the Neutral Republic - Part 26: Space Monkey's Revenge
« Reply #163 on: January 27, 2016, 01:19:21 pm »

Apologies for the delay, but I am pretty busy these days. Still, manage to cobble together an update over this last month.

Spoiler: 170 credits (click to show/hide)

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Knights of the Neutral Republic - Part 26: Space Monkey's Revenge
« Reply #164 on: January 27, 2016, 11:34:06 pm »

Jolee is the best. It is a little bit unfortunate that he can't use that Good-only +Wisdom item you find down here, though.
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 16