I am religious and do not believe in free will
- 10 (3.9%)
I am not religious and believe in free will
- 114 (44.5%)
I am not religious and do not believe in free will
- 61 (23.8%)

Total Members Voted: 251

Pages: 1 ... 394 395 [396] 397 398 ... 523

Author Topic: Railgun and Spirituality Discussion  (Read 663974 times)

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
Re: Railgun and Spirituality Discussion
« Reply #5925 on: November 25, 2016, 03:34:05 pm »

Fool! It is well known that it was Nietzsche who killed God. Sure, he willed himself back to life afterwards, but not before Nietzsche took a vial.

His works were made to brag about the fact.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5926 on: November 25, 2016, 03:37:11 pm »

Hmmm, interesting.

What if I...ahhh...happened to have a vial of God's blood from that one time I killed him?
Fool! It is well known that it was Nietzsche who killed God. Sure, he willed himself back to life afterwards, but not before Nietzsche took a vial.

His works were made to brag about the fact.
Th4DwArfY1 confirmed Nietzsche.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Silverthrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Old Geat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5927 on: November 25, 2016, 03:48:09 pm »

He has been the patron God of edgy teenagers and students ever since. I do believe he hands out quests for his most loyal worshippers.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #5928 on: November 25, 2016, 06:05:58 pm »

You have to do 5836 dailies though where you go around and irritate all your friends by telling them everything is pointless. Then you've got the right rep level.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5929 on: November 25, 2016, 06:09:00 pm »

And then, to complete your ironic apotheosis and passing into the kingdom of pure edge, you die like he did: peniless, lonely and daydreaming about fucking your sister.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #5930 on: November 25, 2016, 06:09:39 pm »

You have to do 5836 dailies though where you go around and irritate all your friends by telling them everything is pointless. Then you've got the right rep level.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5931 on: November 26, 2016, 11:22:28 am »

A question I've always sort of wondered about: What makes a being deserving of worship? Is it power? Loving nature? Or simply a desire to worship something.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #5932 on: November 26, 2016, 12:40:03 pm »

One of those or some other reason. There is a lot of reasons to worship something and a lot of them are unique for each person.
Though there is this reward thing that seems to be in majority of big religions.
For instance, abrahamic God tells you that you are sinful and horrible man even before you really do anything because of the original sin and whatnot, and says that if you worship him and be obedient you get rewarded in afterlife because he "forgiving".
Hindus and Buddhists say that world is shit, you have karma that makes your life less shit if you're good and worse if you're bad, but ultimately the main reason to live is to achieve a higher state of mind which is literally not existing... and you do that by abandoning all the hope, desires and other stuff.
Vikings had Valhalla to which you go if you are coolio bearded warrior. Cool.

THEN THERE IS GLORIOUS EMPEROR OF MANKIND, WHO TELLS YOU YOU ARE GREAT AMAZING GOOD NICE AWESOME HUMAN PERFECT GREAT AND YOU SHOULD KEEP GOING BECAUSE BEING HUMAN IS BEST THING THERE IS AND YOUR REWARD WILL BE WHAT YOU TEAR OUT OF XENOS JAWS, WHICH IS THE WHOLE GALAXY AWW YEAHAHHHHH VOTE GOD EMPEROR 30000!

Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5933 on: November 26, 2016, 01:33:48 pm »

Spoiler: random+stupid thoughts (click to show/hide)
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5934 on: November 26, 2016, 01:51:40 pm »

I believe the normal solution to that sort of problem is "Understanding is not required, only obedience."
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Vilanat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5935 on: November 26, 2016, 01:58:19 pm »

For instance, abrahamic God tells you that you are sinful and horrible man even before you really do anything because of the original sin and whatnot, and says that if you worship him and be obedient you get rewarded in afterlife because he "forgiving".

Small correction: the Christians says the abrahamic god says so.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #5936 on: November 26, 2016, 02:18:24 pm »

Not really. The prophet Isaiah spoke of every person being a sinner, and I think it's quite safe to say he wasn't a Christian.

Spoiler: random+stupid thoughts (click to show/hide)

This kind of thing is why it's a bit silly to take it literally. I mean, doing so also kind of implies God is somehow every skin colour, has hair of all lengths, simultaneously does and does not have a beard... :P I've mentioned it before, but the most sensible interpretation is that the human soul is in the image of God. Although, in the absence of vast knowledge, just the tiniest smidgen more prone to doing things wrong. :P

A question I've always sort of wondered about: What makes a being deserving of worship? Is it power? Loving nature? Or simply a desire to worship something.

Why not all three? And other things, to boot? And I mean, what constitutes worship is its own question.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5937 on: November 26, 2016, 02:30:43 pm »

Not really. The prophet Isaiah spoke of every person being a sinner, and I think it's quite safe to say he wasn't a Christian.
Hey, he's a Prophet, isn't he? Who're you to say he didn't follow Christian doctrine :P
This kind of thing is why it's a bit silly to take it literally. I mean, doing so also kind of implies God is somehow every skin colour, has hair of all lengths, simultaneously does and does not have a beard... :P I've mentioned it before, but the most sensible interpretation is that the human soul is in the image of God. Although, in the absence of vast knowledge, just the tiniest smidgen more prone to doing things wrong.
Yea, pretty much. I know that's a common interpretation, but it still seems to be fairly common that people think we literally look like God, Sistine Chapel style.

Why not all three? And other things, to boot? And I mean, what constitutes worship is its own question.
Thing is, I see absolutely nothing as deserving of worship (which, in my personal definition, includes placing something on a pedestal higher than oneself and throwing praise at it). I mean, it's all perspective. Compared to monkeys, we have what could be conceived of as conceptually similar to unlimited power. But I wouldn't want a monkey to worship me. If I met a being three times as powerful, or even as kind, as I am, I would not want to worship it and would be insulted were it to suggest I do so.

God combines vast power with supposedly infinite goodness (though there have been challenges to that last). That he expects me to worship him before he gives me my treat, even if he were to exist, would make a rebel of me.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Dozebôm Lolumzalės

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #5938 on: November 26, 2016, 02:36:08 pm »

If God really existed the way many conservative/fundamentalist Christians portray him, I'd be an anarchist anti-God rebel, channeling Nietzsche as I lead the assault on God. God is dead, and I should know because I just killed him. :P NO GODS NO MASTERS
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5939 on: November 26, 2016, 02:36:36 pm »

This kind of thing is why it's a bit silly to take it literally. I mean, doing so also kind of implies God is somehow every skin colour, has hair of all lengths, simultaneously does and does not have a beard... :P I've mentioned it before, but the most sensible interpretation is that the human soul is in the image of God. Although, in the absence of vast knowledge, just the tiniest smidgen more prone to doing things wrong. :P

In my religion, the usual interpretation is that it implies that God (the Father) and Christ (the Son) have bodies that look human, or rather, people have bodies modeled after theirs. It's kind of similar to how a human son might look similar to his human father - they aren't identical, but they both have the same general body structure plus some specific resemblances.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now
Pages: 1 ... 394 395 [396] 397 398 ... 523