I am religious and do not believe in free will
- 10 (3.9%)
I am not religious and believe in free will
- 114 (44.5%)
I am not religious and do not believe in free will
- 61 (23.8%)

Total Members Voted: 251

Pages: 1 ... 237 238 [239] 240 241 ... 523

Author Topic: Railgun and Spirituality Discussion  (Read 661441 times)

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
Re: Religion and Spirituality Discussion: God-Proof Chariots Edition
« Reply #3570 on: November 15, 2015, 08:59:40 pm »

Wow that's a bit scary to be honest. I always imagined that America was past that kind of thing.
Nooo, no.  I had to attend Wednesday Bible classes for about a year and a half, or two years.  When I was in a low place and staying with a grandparent.  And when I was little and my brother and I visited her, we went to Sunday School.

Sunday School isn't like a drill instructor, mainly because that would scare people off.  It's fun and games and hey Christ loves you and crafts.

Makes me sick in retrospect, and I'm honestly uneasy around any church now.
I'm just wondering, did your opinion about the church change slowly over time, or was there just one epiphany that changed your opinion?

Regardless, I'll be praying for you.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3571 on: November 15, 2015, 09:35:02 pm »

Nothing is the same as peace except peace. People are ignorant of Islam, and in recent years often hateful. What it seems like you've been implying, and that might be misinterpretation is that they're right to be hateful. The start of Islam was a lot like the start of Christianity. It was popular because it was favorable towards the lower classes, and eventually worked it's way into society, and then spread violently once a critical mass was reached, a lot like Christianity. Every philosophical doctrine has extremists. Religion is a form of philosophical doctrine.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
That is not like the start of Christianity at all, and if we are to be so anachronistic and characterize it as a working class revolt that's not true either since its initial founding was that of powerful merchants rivaling powerful merchants, powerful clans rivaling powerful clans. Heck, the wealthy Jews of Medina were supposed to have been a part of the Ummah in order to gain their support but were struck out when they did not accept Muhammed as their prophet. Poets who criticized Muhammed were murdered, the Jews killed or expelled and Muhammed himself led the raids on Mecca and the battles to individually crush neighbouring tribes who if left alone would gather together to resist him. The inceptions were very different, if you want to compare the two the comparison is false. Don't be fearful of one dishonesty and hate only to commit to another dishonesty and hate, if you want to play a team game where all you've done is switch the colours you're playing a game where you're willing to brush off killing infidels as an issue of cultural difference. Personally, do what you will, don't lie though. Peace under Dar Al-Islam is not the same as peace. This is what the majority of the Muslim world follows whether you count that in terms of nations or people. I don't really care what value judgement you personally make about that and it's against the thread rules anyhow; it's mainstream, it's successful and it is. “Only they forge the lie who do not believe in the signs of Allah.” I'm not the first person to jest that the Christians you are afraid of would find all they sought for by converting to Islam.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3572 on: November 15, 2015, 09:45:07 pm »

I'm just wondering, did your opinion about the church change slowly over time, or was there just one epiphany that changed your opinion?

Regardless, I'll be praying for you.
Thanks for that, I do appreciate it.  (Sometimes it can come across as fake and passive aggressive, but that's not the case here)

Unlike a lot of atheists I don't think I was ever Christian.  I went to youth group yeah, but I never really "got" that it was more than the fairy tales I was being taught around the same time.  Mother Goose I mean.

Oddly my parents are both sorta Christian, but... not typical ones.

My dad...  is private about his beliefs.  I, wow.  I don't often think about what he believes.  I revere him a lot, but honestly rarely thought about his religion.
He's generally sarcastic and exceptionally skeptical.  He constantly plays devils advocate.  Even if we stated something he agreed with, he often pretended to disagree - to challenge us to defend the position.
(Edit:  It was often maddening, because he played the roles very convincingly and adopted some "problematic" positions to test us.  I accepted the challenge.  My brother...)

I did once, when he was drunk (which was very, very rare back then), learn something.  He does believe in demons.  Whenever someone's soul rots away, and they lose the innate respect for fellow human life...  He suspects that a demon has merged with them.

I get my skepticism from him.  And... yeah, the demon thing stuck with me.  He taught me specifically to never to give up hope, because that's when the demons move in.

My mother is also rather reserved about belief.  Definitely a Christian, but she doesn't read or care for the Bible.  She was raised in a strict Baptist way, so she believed that Jesus died for our sins.  She seems to believe that I'm fine as a nonbeliever, though, and she's a kind person.  She must believe that Jesus's sacrifice counted for all people, or at least those willing to shed their sins.  Joining a certain religion on Earth, not required.

As I mentioned earlier, I might not be willing to let go of my sins.  But she doesn't know that.
She's also the source of my actual "religion", of sorts.  I take it more seriously than she did.  She told me of the Little People, the spirits of the woods where we grew up.  And the ghosts that inhabited our house...  Kind, protective spirits. 

I believe that the dead linger on, however unscientifically, and maybe it's possible to feel them.  And I believe more strongly that there are alien beings living in the dark corners of the earth, placing bets and toying with us.  The Fey.  Not malicious nor kind.  Incomprehensible, fickle, and magical.

Well... She mainly told me of the mostly-kind ones, but I read her books and learned of the others.  It makes more sense that the forces toying with us would be as malicious as they are kind.

I also, myself, found a book which described the planet a single superorganism (like an ant hive).  The SimEarth Bible, with many quotes from James Lovelock's "Gaia Hypothesis".  It seemed to explain so much, if all living things were part of a single, gestalt life form (and, I figured, the same would be true for souls).  I didn't play Final Fantasy 7 until years later lol.

So yeah, no real moment where I became atheist.  I was always skeptical for as long as I remember, and I gained my beliefs slowly over time and my parents tried to let me do it independently.  Which is one reason why I suspect animism, the best name for my belief system, is the most natural belief system.  I saw shapes in the darkness, my mom's books just suggested names for them.

Edit2:  Probably shouldn't go into detail but my mom had a very hard life.  It's *still* hard.  My brother and I are both non-Christian, but we try to keep from discussing it around her.  She doesn't think we're going to hell, but it seems to bother her when we're too rough on...  Well, Christians.  It's one thing to attack a idea, and another to attack a group of people, and my mom doesn't approve of the latter.

Edit3: (Despite her being, in a certain sense, a witch.  Or Christian/pagan hedge-mage.)
I honestly don't know if I was ever baptized...  I think probably so, as an infant.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2015, 10:03:27 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3573 on: November 15, 2015, 09:52:27 pm »

I'm sorry, where did I say that killing people was okay?

Second, I'd really like to see the source for that. I don't doubt you, I'm just curious as to whether that's the whole story; just from the first bits of me looking things up, from what I could tell those wars were viewed as liberating an oppressed people. If you want to talk about religious intolerance, let's talk about Christianity once it got it's feet under itself. You want to talk about conquest, let's look at the colonization of the Americas. I'm curious to see where you're getting the bit about the majority of the Muslim world following peace under Dar Al-Islam. As in, those countries that are mostly islamic? Or all Muslims? Cuz' that's a pretty damn big generalization to make of more than a billion people, and it'd be nice to see a source for it. And from those Qu'ran verses I've read, they have minimal foundation.

See, I think my issue is that you're implying very carefully that Islam is inherently awful, and so is anyone who follows it. Which is a massive generalization of countless people. You can come up with incidents of atrocities committed by Muslims or in the name of Islam. I can find incidents done in the name of God or communism or democracy, and I can find countless examples of faithful Muslims who aren't extremists and are good people. People are people. Some are nice, some are jerks, some commit mass murder. Doesn't really matter, a way is found.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #3574 on: November 16, 2015, 01:48:36 am »

See, I think my issue is that you're implying very carefully that Islam is inherently awful, and so is anyone who follows it.

The second point does not follow from the first; plug in any religion or philosophy you want and it still won't follow. Isn't it possible for someone to be a good person not because of their religion but in spite of it?
« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 01:50:29 am by Bohandas »
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3575 on: November 16, 2015, 04:44:34 pm »

you're implying very carefully that Islam is inherently awful, and so is anyone who follows it
Could you find a quote where what you say happened happened? I don't think anyone's said that.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3576 on: November 16, 2015, 05:37:10 pm »

I'm sorry, where did I say that killing people was okay?
Yeah, people get pissy when you do things their religion considers offensive. That's rather unsurprising. If you're trying to say only Muslims have been committing genocide, or even that only Muslims have been committing genocide in modern times, you'd be wrong. If you're wanting to say that Islamic Law violates human rights, I'd agree with you, when you look at international definitions and agreements about it. Different cultures have different views on that, though. I would argue that Abrahamic Law in general violates human rights, myself. Just a matter of whether people are interpreting it literally[...] it's quite obvious that Muslims don't appreciate having their religion insulted. And when someone puts up an image of Mohammad, knowing full well that Islam forbids it and finds it offensive, they are insulting it just as much as someone who tries to present themselves as a Christ-figure. It's just different cultural values and weights on freedom of expression.
It's merely different cultural values and weights on freedom of expression.

Second, I'd really like to see the source for that. I don't doubt you, I'm just curious as to whether that's the whole story; just from the first bits of me looking things up, from what I could tell those wars were viewed as liberating an oppressed people.
Liberating an oppressed people? Well, it's more like adding excellent statesmen, an ambition to spread the faith and put that next to a series of escalations, with each one changing the religion to a much more efficient political machine capable of taking on all enemies within and without. What they did was practical, and is the reason why the religion survived that initial tumult and then went on to conquer the world and attain its dominance today. Islam is the religion of practicality. Burmese and Japanese Buddhists aside, I'm reminded of that one dialogue between the Vietnamese Buddhist and a guerilla fighter, with the fighter questioning if the Buddhist would really be so nonviolent even if Buddhism itself was soon to be extinct by threat of violence - would he not defend himself then? The Vietnamese Buddhist merely replies if his religion is true, then sometime in the future someone will rediscover the truth in another form. Hadrat Mirza Bashirruddin Mahmud Ahmad in the Life of Muhammed sums up the big Abrahamic religions and their take on war; "Islam does not teach aggression as did Moses. Nor does it, like present day (and presumably corrupt) Christianity, preach a contradiction. It does not ask us to turn the other cheek and at the same time sell our clothes to buy a sword. The teaching of Islam fits into the natural instincts of man, and promotes peace in the only possible way. Islam forbids aggression, but it urges us to fight if failure to fight jeopardizes peace and promotes war."
Niccolo Machiavelli advises rulers that should the prospect of war loom ahead, they should commit to war as soon as they are ready - for being hesitant and delaying only means waiting until war comes to you when you are unprepared and your enemy is prepared. The Caliphate needed to invade all of the Byzantine and Sassanid lands across the Arabian peninsula, but they couldn't stop there - they had to drive further into the Meditteranean and build a new fleet there to crush the Byzantine navy and also drive east across the Persian mountains to finish off the still mighty Sassanid Empire. But of course when you consolidate these lands, they stop being buffer zones and start being worth defending, and so the expansion continues ceaselessly. That's before you factor in the political ambitions of leaders. You know how it goes.
Also this is not exactly history ugh it's not my job to educate you shitlord it's the current year
Jokes aside I wouldn't know where to point you if you're looking for the whole story because it's a very long one and it has variations depending on whether a Sunni or Shia is telling you it. I don't know if it's still on but the Louvre in Paris did an excellent piece on Islamic art, metalwork and craftsmanship - in addition to showing by period the phases of expansion Islam underwent that spread its influence to all corners of the Earth. Read the Hadiths if you can spare the time (takes much time) and there's a lot of documentaries that have been uploaded on youtube, some by Western state institutions, some by Sunni Arabs, some by Armenian Shiites, those ones are easy (but fact check as you would with wikipedia, goes without saying). I forgot wikipedia too, ha. EB are good too if you want to be strictly academic, quite balanced. It is really interesting to see the evolution of a religion of the persecuted to the religion eradicating infidels.

If you want to talk about religious intolerance, let's talk about Christianity once it got it's feet under itself. You want to talk about conquest, let's look at the colonization of the Americas.
If you want to make this a pissing match at the same time that Christian countries are building hundreds of mosques Saudi Arabia's top religious official issued a fatwa saying all churches on the Arabian Peninsula should be destroyed. If I want to talk conquest I've already been talking about how Persia's happy conquest and reconquest time but perhaps the Ghaznavid's take the cake for possibly giving the Hindu Kush mountains their name, meaning Hindu Kill, for captured slaves would not survive the cold. Or the race of indigenous people once ubiquitous to the mountain known as the 'kafir' though on bay12 we spell it as kuffar - infidel. They ran through looting and demolishing temples, utilizing burnings, summary executions, crucifixions or impalements, inventive tortures to keep the Hindus in check. Hindu temples were destroyed to make way for mosques, on occasion there were forced conversions - If ever there were an uprising, it was instantly and savagely repressed: houses were burned, the countryside was laid waste, men were slaughtered and women were taken as slaves. The Turkish ruler of Ghazni made it his mission to rid Peshawar of Hindus. Peshawar is now like Jerusalem or Persia, "established Muslim land" as you put it. Mahmud of Ghazni has this said by the historian Al-Beruni, who accompanied him on his conquest: 'Mahmud utterly ruined the prosperity of the country, and performed there wonderful exploits, by which the Hindus became like atoms of dust scattered in all directions, and like a tale of old in the mouth of the people. Their scattered remains cherish of course, the most inveterate aversion towards all Muslims."
When you want to have a pissing contest between Nazis or Soviets because you can't fathom talking of Nazis or Soviets all that happens is everyone is made dirty. Most importantly, Islam's missionary spirit is stronger than ever, the white man's burden is in the past. Only one of these two religions is an active player anymore.

I'm curious to see where you're getting the bit about the majority of the Muslim world following peace under Dar Al-Islam. As in, those countries that are mostly islamic? Or all Muslims? Cuz' that's a pretty damn big generalization to make of more than a billion people, and it'd be nice to see a source for it. And from those Qu'ran verses I've read, they have minimal foundation.
I think you are very confused on Islam. Dar al-Islam is not a branch or sect of Islam or Islamic jurisprudence (at least when Caliph Umar used it). It is a term to categorize the world, similar to how in the Cold War the world was categorized along the 1st/2nd/3rd world in regards to who they would fight for or if they would stay neutral in the event of a war, only with religious significance attached to continue the aim of spreading Islam. The Dar al-Islam is the Realm of peace and submission to God, the Islamic world, places where Islam rules. The Dar al-Harab is the Realm of War, places where infidels rule who should be converted, killed or if other Abrahamics maybe just forced to pay the jizya unless you're feeling particularly Ottoman. These terms were used by Caliph Umar but were expanded upon as international diplomacy became a thing and the Ottomans needed more terms than "our land" and "not our land." The Dar al-Harab takes on the role of the Realm of War, but its name translates to Realm of the West. Then there's the Dar al-Amn or Realm of Safety where it's non-Muslim land but Muslims are allowed to practice their religion there, or Dar al-Dawa or Realm of Invitation where Islam has only just been recently introduced, drawing a line between those who reject the Muslim faith in Dar al-Harab and those who are ignorant of its existence altogether in Dar al-Dawa. This is similar to the purgatory notion in Christianity for pagans who died before Christ was born. Most Muslims live under Dar al-Islam, it just means they live by Islam's rule ;) Although to add onto that it in the modern day it can also mean the state having Islam protected in law and so could exclude majority Muslim nations whose states have secular law like Turkey, or depending on if you're Sunni or Shia Iran for example can be Dar al-Islam or Dar al-Kuffar. Also the Realm of War despite the name does not necessarily mean active war, as that can also be divided into two subrealms of realms at war with Islam and nations yet to be at war with Islam.

See, I think my issue is that you're implying very carefully that Islam is inherently awful, and so is anyone who follows it. Which is a massive generalization of countless people.
I am not a very subtle person, if I don't like something you know it. Unless you mean awful in a moral sense to which I cannot stand the killing of infidels and don't particularly see anything controversial about that. The second statement and third statement really come out of nowhere. I should have you know if you think I look down on someone for not hesitating to use violence when necessary you have forgotten or do not know that I myself will not hesitate to use violence when necessary (internet tough guy). The only difference is our values in what we see as necessary. I don't for example, endorse violence upon moral degenerates.

You can come up with incidents of atrocities committed by Muslims or in the name of Islam. I can find incidents done in the name of God or communism or democracy, and I can find countless examples of faithful Muslims who aren't extremists and are good people.
Communism is dead and there has not been a great liberal revolution since Napoleon. Islam is the most powerful ideology of our year, its followers highly moral, disciplined and unified with a rigor no other religion or even philosophy has yet matched, it's worth repeating no book secular or religious has been learnt off by heart by so many millions as the Quran has. You can find countless examples of faithful Muslims who are good people and aren't extremists, likewise so can I - this is generalizing. I'm not sure what that is supposed to do, but ok. I don't see it as good or bad people because I find good|bad to be a little to Disney for me, the real world is not like that. It's for me a matter of belief, will and success.

People are people. Some are nice, some are jerks, some commit mass murder. Doesn't really matter, a way is found.
People are people. Some are nice. Some are jerks. Some commit mass murder.
Doesn't really matter. Heh. What is the way? Convert to Islam :D

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3577 on: November 16, 2015, 05:53:43 pm »

Well, one thing I will agree with you LW, is that we do need an ideology if we're to effectively fight Islam. You need to fight ideas with ideas, as Hitler used to say.

But what could such an idea be? The only one I see is some form of Nationalism, maybe in the Scottish sense. I wonder, is there any data of radicalization rate between Scotland and the rUK?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #3578 on: November 16, 2015, 05:58:15 pm »

From my history knowledge, the Scots mostly got rebellious when the Brits tried to take away their Presbyterianism.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #3579 on: November 16, 2015, 06:20:45 pm »

The Scots are the Brits.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #3580 on: November 16, 2015, 06:22:44 pm »

Britannia and Caledonia are different, dammit.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #3581 on: November 16, 2015, 06:30:12 pm »

Caledonia is a name given to the area by Romans, as far as I recall.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3582 on: November 16, 2015, 06:32:08 pm »

Well, one thing I will agree with you LW, is that we do need an ideology if we're to effectively fight Islam. You need to fight ideas with ideas, as Hitler used to say.

But what could such an idea be? The only one I see is some form of Nationalism, maybe in the Scottish sense. I wonder, is there any data of radicalization rate between Scotland and the rUK?
76,000 Muslims live in Scotland
46,000 in Wales
3,800 in Northern Ireland
2,660,116 in England
They do not compare at all; we also already have sovereign nationalism which is what being British is, British is the sovereign nationality which everyone is who isn't ethnically English/Welsh/Irish/Scottish (who even then go by British unless trying to differentiate themselves such as during Commonwealth games). Scottish nationalism is just repackaged British nationalism. Oh, and it hasn't helped anything at all if our al-Britanis in Syria are anything to be gauged by, they just become British Islamists lol
Plus I'm skeptical on the notion that Islam can be challenged at all by the West. Ideologically there is no stronger ideology, practically Westerners have no want to challenge Islam, literally is going full Ottoman. On the numbers basis Muslims have gone from being 0.1% of religious people in England for example, to 5% and rising, we are now more Islamic than Kosovo or Kuwait :P
I think it's a bit too late now to decide Western Europe's affiliation with Islam, the two are sewn together now by the seams. I suppose Britain has the option to just open the gates to Nigerians and Indians more than usual to balance things out xD

The Scots are the Brits.
Foreigners use English and British interchangeably, they don't know their Great Britains from their United Kingdoms and Northern Irelands and Englands and Wales and Londons and City of Londons in Greater Londons
To clear things up Britain is the main island holistically and a few chains of smaller islands nearby

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3583 on: November 17, 2015, 12:01:49 am »

If you're wanting to say that Islamic Law violates human rights, I'd agree with you, when you look at international definitions and agreements about it. Different cultures have different views on that, though. I would argue that Abrahamic Law in general violates human rights, myself. Just a matter of whether people are interpreting it literally...
it's quite obvious that Muslims don't appreciate having their religion insulted. And when someone puts up an image of Mohammad, knowing full well that Islam forbids it and finds it offensive, they are insulting it just as much as someone who tries to present themselves as a Christ-figure. It's just different cultural values and weights on freedom of expression.
I think my issue is that you're implying very carefully that Islam is inherently awful, and so is anyone who follows it. Which is a massive generalization of countless people.
Islam is the most powerful ideology of our year, its followers highly moral, disciplined and unified with a rigor no other religion or even philosophy has yet matched, it's worth repeating no book secular or religious has been learnt off by heart by so many millions as the Quran has.
But what could such an idea be?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3584 on: November 17, 2015, 07:10:31 am »

"That's a bit problematic." Fucking lost it
Pages: 1 ... 237 238 [239] 240 241 ... 523