I am religious and do not believe in free will
- 10 (3.9%)
I am not religious and believe in free will
- 114 (44.5%)
I am not religious and do not believe in free will
- 61 (23.8%)

Total Members Voted: 251

Pages: 1 ... 228 229 [230] 231 232 ... 523

Author Topic: Railgun and Spirituality Discussion  (Read 661696 times)

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
Re: Religion and Spirituality Discussion: God-Proof Chariots Edition
« Reply #3435 on: November 13, 2015, 03:24:37 am »

It is more than current comfort that most religions care about. Most care about getting to the afterlife.

Give us a couple decades and we'll cover that too

NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #3436 on: November 13, 2015, 07:24:49 am »

Hm, that is interesting. Assuming Christianity is correct, and there's a benevolent God up there waiting to greet us all at his heavenly gates, what would he feel if we made our own heaven? Perhaps downloaded our consciences onto a machine which had certain simulations, or built in rules, to keep the peace? Perhaps even just simply the eternal life thing, without the rules.

Wonder if he'd be peeved :P
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Adragis

• Bay Watcher
  • Edgelady Supreme
    • View Profile
« Reply #3437 on: November 13, 2015, 07:26:57 am »

Probably not, he'd just say 'nope' and do some God-level stuff so we get judgement day in the simulation :P
thincake

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3438 on: November 13, 2015, 08:15:37 am »

Dwarfy: The Tower of Babel was exactly that.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3439 on: November 13, 2015, 08:51:43 am »

I figured that story was about the hubris of trying to reach God.

Making a simulation in which we are happy isn't quite the same thing.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #3440 on: November 13, 2015, 09:28:03 am »

No, that one was pretty specifically a story about god seeing mankind starting to do really decently for themselves -- the tower was built primarily to make sure mankind didn't scatter apart, not really in order to reach heaven -- and then fucking them up, because humans can't have good things that don't come from god.

It's spun as a hubris thing, but you can read the passage itself as you please and it really doesn't come off as a hubris thing. God's stated reason for screwing with the whole babel thing was because mankind speaking one language and working together would have nothing they could not achieve. And apparently that's bad, so shatter the nation, scatter the people, and more or less give everyone involved brain damage. One of those moments thoroughly on the jackass list :-\
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3441 on: November 13, 2015, 09:32:10 am »

Surely that's against the whole free will thing?

"You can do whatever you want. Except for that. Here, I'm going to have to make some alterations to your brain to fix that...."
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Adragis

• Bay Watcher
  • Edgelady Supreme
    • View Profile
« Reply #3442 on: November 13, 2015, 09:43:15 am »

-- the tower was built primarily to make sure mankind didn't scatter apart, not really in order to reach heaven --
Please quote. I agree with what you're saying, but I've never heard this one before.
thincake

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3443 on: November 13, 2015, 09:48:08 am »

4 And they said, “Come, let us build ourselves a city, and a tower whose top is in the heavens; let us make a name for ourselves, lest we be scattered abroad over the face of the whole earth.”

5 But the Lord came down to see the city and the tower which the sons of men had built.

6 And the Lord said, “Indeed the people are one and they all have one language, and this is what they begin to do; now nothing that they propose to do will be withheld from them.

7 Come, let Us go down and there confuse their language, that they may not understand one another’s speech.”

8 So the Lord scattered them abroad from there over the face of all the earth, and they ceased building the city.

9 Therefore its name is called Babel, because there the Lord confused the language of all the earth; and from there the Lord scattered them abroad over the face of all the earth.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #3444 on: November 13, 2015, 09:49:13 am »

Not really all that much biblical support for free will, td1 :P

In any case, I'd probably say not to read too much into the story. All it really was was a mythological explanation of why there's multiple languages, conceived by a people that didn't believe it could happen naturally and did believe that god was a complete dick (but should be followed lest you get dicked by it).

As to the quote:
Quote from: NIV Gensis 11 1-9
Now the whole world had one language and a common speech. 2 As people moved eastward,[a] they found a plain in Shinar[b and settled there.

3 They said to each other, “Come, let’s make bricks and bake them thoroughly.” They used brick instead of stone, and tar for mortar. 4 Then they said, “Come, let us build ourselves a city, with a tower that reaches to the heavens, so that we may make a name for ourselves; otherwise we will be scattered over the face of the whole earth.”

5 But the Lord came down to see the city and the tower the people were building. 6 The Lord said, “If as one people speaking the same language they have begun to do this, then nothing they plan to do will be impossible for them. 7 Come, let us go down and confuse their language so they will not understand each other.”

8 So the Lord scattered them from there over all the earth, and they stopped building the city. 9 That is why it was called Babel[c]—because there the Lord confused the language of the whole world. From there the Lord scattered them over the face of the whole earth.
Ninja'd a bit, but whatev'.

The specific line you're looking for is
Then they said, “Come, let us build ourselves a city, with a tower that reaches to the heavens, so that we may make a name for ourselves; otherwise we will be scattered over the face of the whole earth.”
It says it right there -- the reason they were doing it and making a name for themselves was to prevent their people from being scattered across the whole of the earth. It wasn't pride, it wasn't trying to reach the heavens for poke the eye of god or anything like that, it was just so that mankind would maintain solidarity and not become less than they could be.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #3445 on: November 13, 2015, 09:49:47 am »

4 And they said, “Come, let us build ourselves a city, and a tower whose top is in the heavens; let us make a name for ourselves, lest we be scattered abroad over the face of the whole earth.”

5 But the Lord came down to see the city and the tower which the sons of men had built.

6 And the Lord said, “Indeed the people are one and they all have one language, and this is what they begin to do; now nothing that they propose to do will be withheld from them.

7 Come, let Us go down and there confuse their language, that they may not understand one another’s speech.”

8 So the Lord scattered them abroad from there over the face of all the earth, and they ceased building the city.

9 Therefore its name is called Babel, because there the Lord confused the language of all the earth; and from there the Lord scattered them abroad over the face of all the earth.
TIL God's an antiglobalist.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #3446 on: November 13, 2015, 09:55:34 am »

And they said, “Come, let us build ourselves a city, and a tower whose top is in the heavens; let us make a name for ourselves, lest we be scattered abroad over the face of the whole earth.”
For some reason, I can't help but interpret this tower as a space elevator.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Adragis

• Bay Watcher
  • Edgelady Supreme
    • View Profile
« Reply #3447 on: November 13, 2015, 10:32:45 am »

If we're going for 'mythological explanations', it is obvious these were the Mayans building a spaceship.
thincake

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3448 on: November 13, 2015, 11:01:30 am »

Also free will goes out the window when you consider he hardened Pharoahs heart like 10 times, presumably so God could get some firstborn killing in.

And on a slightly more rocky note, the whole "believe or burn for eternity" thing goes against free will. Eternal burnination, if real, would certainly fall under "under duress" and not really count as freely choosing to follow Christ. I know of a few people who are Christian purely out of fear of Hell.

Makes the whole "follow me out of your own choice" thing modern Christ has going on ring a little hollow.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3449 on: November 13, 2015, 11:07:01 am »

The old Pascal's Wager has always been a tad abhorrent to me.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread
Pages: 1 ... 228 229 [230] 231 232 ... 523