I am religious and do not believe in free will
- 10 (3.9%)
I am not religious and believe in free will
- 114 (44.5%)
I am not religious and do not believe in free will
- 61 (23.8%)

Total Members Voted: 251

Pages: 1 ... 189 190 [191] 192 193 ... 523

Author Topic: Railgun and Spirituality Discussion  (Read 663928 times)

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
Re: Religion and Spirituality Discussion: God-Proof Chariots Edition
« Reply #2850 on: August 09, 2015, 11:13:00 am »

That makes sense, but it could also be that pain is a signal for an organism that something is wrong and it needs to react. Mobile organisms move away because that's the easiest response for them, but plants don't have that option so they react differently.
So itching is a form of pain? What about the feeling of cold?
Frostbite is a thing. That hurts. You cannot really escape from the cold, strictly speaking.
Sure, but the feeling of cold that I get when running through the streets of my city naked on a crisp January night is very much distinct from the feeling of pain, but still is signalling me that something is wrong.

Come to think of it, the same is true for emotional distress.
Should have clarified - quite clearly, some kinds of pain, like, say, random headaches, do not fit into the model of pain as a cue for flight. As they cannot be escaped, they seem to be an organism's red flag for physiological disturbance - and the same kinda deal could be said of plant damage response signalling.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2851 on: August 09, 2015, 12:38:47 pm »

That makes sense, but it could also be that pain is a signal for an organism that something is wrong and it needs to react. Mobile organisms move away because that's the easiest response for them, but plants don't have that option so they react differently.
So itching is a form of pain? What about the feeling of cold?

Bad analog there helgo.

Itching really IS related to pain. http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/speaking-of-science/wp/2014/10/30/scratching-an-itch-really-does-make-it-worse-and-now-we-know-why/

Both of your interjections there use the same basic pathways to get to the brain, but originate in different cell site receptor proteins on the sensory nerve cell itself. It's just specialization for a kind of stimulous.

Also, plants move to avoid or approach sources of stimulus all the time.  So do slime molds.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2852 on: August 09, 2015, 12:45:40 pm »

Bad analog there helgo.

Itching really IS related to pain.
Yeah, I know - they're still distinct though.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2853 on: August 09, 2015, 12:55:26 pm »

Even the existence of headache is not proof against the "pain as flight signal". Once the nociceptions mechanisms are in place, it makes sense for evolution to use them for other things.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2854 on: August 09, 2015, 12:59:35 pm »

Let's liven this up with some really bad source material!!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2677858/Bad-news-vegetarians-Plants-hear-eaten.html

It's both daily fail, AND on topic!

Adragis

• Bay Watcher
  • Edgelady Supreme
    • View Profile
« Reply #2855 on: August 09, 2015, 01:08:17 pm »

daily mail best newspaper
it's not biased in any way
thincake

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2856 on: August 09, 2015, 01:38:35 pm »

Or if your reasons for being a vegetarian are moral ones.

Personally, I'm a vegetarian because meat's freaking gross.

All foods are gross if you think about them too hard. That's how I stopped eating mushrooms.

Let's liven this up with some really bad source material!!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2677858/Bad-news-vegetarians-Plants-hear-eaten.html

It's both daily fail, AND on topic!

I'm surprised. When I saw that headline I thought it was gonna be something about that polygraph crackpot from the 60's

So what happens when we can 3D-print meat efficiently?

Hypothetically it should result in both vegetarianism and the consumption of normal meat being abandoned by everyone but natural-living cranks and possibly, depending on the relative cost of production, the very poor. This will not happen anything even close to immediately after the technology is perfected however, due to ludditeism in the general population and sabotage by the now-obsolete ranching industry.

Also, plants move to avoid or approach sources of stimulus all the time.

Yes, but snapping leaves shut around a hapless insect or rotating to face the sun is a long way off from dodging or fleeing.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 01:55:09 pm by Bohandas »
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #2857 on: August 09, 2015, 03:16:18 pm »

This is pretty similar to flinching or wincing though:

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2858 on: August 09, 2015, 03:21:44 pm »

It's essentially a mechanical response to danger. But then that's all our responses to pain really are as well, ours are just more complex.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2859 on: August 09, 2015, 03:54:32 pm »

He, we used to have one of those in the greenhouses, but they tucked it somewhere else because all the students playing with it were exhausting the plant.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #2860 on: August 09, 2015, 04:35:15 pm »

All foods are gross if you think about them too hard. That's how I stopped eating mushrooms.
If you don't eat mushrooms for that reason, I'd be amazed if you still ate cheese. Half-digested sugars by bacteria where the flavour comes from their faecal matter; very appetizing.
Blasphemy! All of those foods are delicious! And even more so when they're together...
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #2861 on: August 09, 2015, 04:40:40 pm »

i guess pain in the ethical sense relates more to mental states and "unhappiness". for the same reason that the loss of a loved one is considered a form of pain, it's the mental trauma rather than the biological mechanism that matters. you'd have to argue for a plant collective consciousness to make me take the thing seriously.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 06:53:54 pm by Askot Bokbondeler »

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2862 on: August 09, 2015, 05:06:13 pm »

There's a plant like that in Hawaii. Don't step on them.
The leaves fold up like that accept faster and a small needle like thing pops out of the middle. Hurts quite a bit when stepped on
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2863 on: August 10, 2015, 09:40:41 am »

If you don't eat mushrooms for that reason, I'd be amazed if you still ate cheese. Half-digested sugars by bacteria where the flavour comes from their faecal matter; very appetizing.
Blasphemy! All of those foods are delicious! And even more so when they're together...
I personally love me some cured meats, which are basically lean pieces of flesh that has been dried by adding tons of salt or other chemical substances to draw the moisture out of it, including bacteria, which slows their growth. Its basically old dried flesh with immature and dead bacteria on it, that happens to be delishus :v
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2864 on: August 10, 2015, 09:50:40 am »

Alcohol is just sugar some fungi excreted in until they died, floating in piss-equivalent :P
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.
Pages: 1 ... 189 190 [191] 192 193 ... 523