I am religious and do not believe in free will
- 10 (3.9%)
I am not religious and believe in free will
- 114 (44.5%)
I am not religious and do not believe in free will
- 61 (23.8%)

Total Members Voted: 251

Pages: 1 ... 185 186 [187] 188 189 ... 523

Author Topic: Railgun and Spirituality Discussion  (Read 663986 times)

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
Re: Religion and Spirituality Discussion: God-Proof Chariots Edition
« Reply #2790 on: August 05, 2015, 01:50:16 am »

So, instead of killing sizable portions of their population on national borders with guns, countries should instead kill sizable portions of their population at home with explosives?
To be honest it doesn't sound a great deal better.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #2791 on: August 05, 2015, 02:09:55 am »

Sounds like something out of 1984.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Adragis

• Bay Watcher
  • Edgelady Supreme
    • View Profile
« Reply #2792 on: August 05, 2015, 02:58:43 am »

At least we aren't forced to drink gin and only gin.
thincake

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2793 on: August 05, 2015, 03:43:16 am »

I'd like to note that totally mechanized warfare != "just bombing dissidents". Just because you kill those that you kill with great efficiency doesn't mean you don't take all proper steps first to seek peace.

I mean we could have drones all over that could instantly kill those who disagreed with us, but that doesn't mean we have to actually use them to do so.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2794 on: August 05, 2015, 09:37:40 am »

Also he's implicitly calling drone strikes the only acceptable method of applying political violence. Not a popular opinion these days.

I also support ICBMs, cruise missiles, snipers, stealth bombers, poison, sabotage, submarine warfare, time bombs, car bombs, and the atomic bomb. I just don't like needless risk, or reckless valor, or any aspect whatsoever of martial culture. If it were possible I would like to see the military completely automated; we don't have everything we need to do that yet but we're slowly getting there.

I'm always fascinated by your posts. You suggest anti-corporation actions while also suggesting stuff almost right out of 1984, yet never on the same topic. You have an anti-TPP petition in your signature while offering your opinion on creating an automated military complex that would just bomb dissidents.

No, I'm concerned more about bombing enemy nations, enemy leaders and foreign terrorist organizations. And also making sure that the draft never comes back.

Also, if even the ostensibly positive depictions I've seen are even similar to reality the culture in the military is every bit as toxic as the culture in corporate america.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 09:40:10 am by Bohandas »
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2795 on: August 05, 2015, 09:41:00 am »

You do realize that this is precisely what Obama's drone warfare is all about, right? Hint: It's not being too successful...
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Conradine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2796 on: August 05, 2015, 12:16:04 pm »

Quote from: Conradine on August 04, 2015, 01:31:26 pm
Theistic satanism ( chaos magick custom belief system ).

How do you view Satan?

Archetipical concept, eggregora created by collective thought AND personal thought-form.
The un-holy trinity.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #2797 on: August 05, 2015, 12:41:58 pm »

Quote from: Conradine on August 04, 2015, 01:31:26 pm
Theistic satanism ( chaos magick custom belief system ).

How do you view Satan?

Archetipical concept, eggregora created by collective thought AND personal thought-form.
The un-holy trinity.

Interesting. Which archetypical concept? And what are the tenets of your belief? (If it's not obvious, I know nearly nothing about this.)

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Conradine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2798 on: August 05, 2015, 04:32:43 pm »

Interesting. Which archetypical concept? And what are the tenets of your belief? (If it's not obvious, I know nearly nothing about this.)

For Laveyan satanists ( also called "rationalists" , although not every rationalist  is a laveyan ), Satan embodies the archetypical concepts of self determination, the pursue of personal freedom, gratification and developement of potential. Chaos Magick system is used in many new age / gnostic movements and is, essentially, the notion that the power of belief is real and can shape ( and be shaped ) by the world. Laveyan focus on custom, pragmatical rituality to achieve whatever personal goals they pursue.

Tenets vary from branch to branch. Personally, I follow the teaching of my spiritual father...
well, he's also my biological dad ^^
His master was an university professor, that learned from our founder, an ex theravada monk from Siam that travelled to Europe, lived for seven years in the UK were he studied ermetism and ceremonial magic, then established in my country. He was a great scholar of occult, but I doubt he was merely a man.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 04:40:44 pm by Conradine »

Adragis

• Bay Watcher
  • Edgelady Supreme
    • View Profile
« Reply #2799 on: August 05, 2015, 04:35:00 pm »

Ain't LaVey(?) the guy who wrote the satanic commandments thingy?
thincake

Conradine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2800 on: August 05, 2015, 04:41:28 pm »

Yes, he was and I respect him as a scholar of  occult and a free thinker; but I am not a laveyan.

Adragis

• Bay Watcher
  • Edgelady Supreme
    • View Profile
« Reply #2801 on: August 05, 2015, 04:48:36 pm »

'If he persists, destroy him.'
I lol'd.
thincake

Conradine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2802 on: August 05, 2015, 08:13:03 pm »

To pursue the Satanic Enlightment, an Acolyte must open the Seven Gates of Hell, plus the final Golden Gate that allows the soul to descend into the Enlightened Darkness.

Every gate requires more dedication, effort and costance of mind, body and heart to be opened.

The First Gate of Hell:

This is the Textament of Belphegor, Duke of Sloth.
The Acolyte ought to constantly strive to rid himself of whatever qualities he recognize as wrong and harmful, shaking off laziness and apathy. He understands and accepts that actions will produce results and effects that correspond with the nature of that action, and take responsibility for his behiavour.

The Second Gate of Hell:

This is the Textament of Asmodeus, Duke of Lust.
The Acolyte ought to constantly strive to rid himself of whatever qualities he recognize as wrong and harmful. He rejects disordinate passions and sexual misconduit, keeping is body clean and pure.

The Third Gate of Hell:

This is the Textament of Baalzebul, Duke of Gluttony.
The Acolyte ought to constantly keep his minds alert to phenomena that could negatively affect the body and mind. He should be mindful and deliberate, making sure not to act or speak due to inattention or forgetfulness, and avoid any kind of intoxicating substance.

The Fourth Gate of Hell:

This is the Textament of Amon, Duke of Wrath.
The Acolyte ougth to never act impulsively and out of rage; he train himself to be rational, cautious and reasonable, not acting in ways that would be corrupt or bring harm to oneself or to others.

The Fifth Gate of Hell:

This is the Textament of Mammon, Duke of Greed.
The Acolyte ought not to gain profit from occupations which, either directly or indirectly, result in harm for other living beings. Forbidden trades are all kinds of weapons and instruments for killing, slave trading, prostitution, breeding animals for slaughter, manufacturing or selling intoxicating drinks or addictive drugs, producing or trading in any kind of poison or a toxic product designed to harm.

The Sixth Gate of Hell:

This is the Textament of Leviathan, Duke of Envy.
The Acolyte ought to abstain from lying, from divisive and abusive speech and to every form of deception. When he speaks, it must be true, beneficial and appropriate. If he can't benefit others with honest words, he stay silent.

The Seventh Gate of Hell:

This is the Textament of Lucifer, Duke of Pride.
The Acolyte adopt detached, non-judgemental way of seeing. He ought to be resolved on renunciation, on freedom from ill will, on harmlessness; he must give up egoism, narcisistical habits and the desire of recognition.

The Golden Gate of Hell:

This is the Textament of Satan, Lord of the Darkness.
To fully embrace the inner darkness and become one with Hell, the Acolyte fully give up the notion of ambition, purifying the soul from the taint of desire and reliance on external goods and pleasures; he becomes a source of light on his own, finally achieving freedom from suffering and death.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 11:55:10 pm by Conradine »

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #2803 on: August 05, 2015, 10:32:03 pm »

Sounds a lot like the Fruits of the Spirit...
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Adragis

• Bay Watcher
  • Edgelady Supreme
    • View Profile
« Reply #2804 on: August 05, 2015, 11:48:29 pm »

Well, Satanism is based off of Christianity, if only in the fact that, well, it's the biblical Satan. Probably gonna end up taking a few cues.
thincake
Pages: 1 ... 185 186 [187] 188 189 ... 523